Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do we do in this scenario?
Let's say that after week 17 the Bengals are in the playoffs and their seeding is already determined meaning that, like last year, the last game of the season against the Ravens doesn't mean anything. But let's say that the Ravens are playing for a playoff spot, win and they're in or lose and they're out. Do the Bengals still rest the starters or do they play to win to keep the Ravens out? I know this scenario isn't likely to happen but it's fun to contemplate.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If our seeding position is already determined and a win will not benefit us at all, I say rest your starters and not risk injury with the playoffs upcoming. No matter how much I'd like to kick the Rats in the teeth, it's not worth losing a Burrow, Chase, or Reader. Now, if playoff positioning is still in play, that's a different story. Otherwise, I say rest up and don't risk a deep playoff run because of a key injury in a meaningless game.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 10:06 PM)Science Friction Wrote: If our seeding position is already determined and a win will not benefit us at all, I say rest your starters and not risk injury with the playoffs upcoming. No matter how much I'd like to kick the Rats in the teeth, it's not worth losing a Burrow, Chase, or Reader.  Now, if playoff positioning is still in play, that's a different story. Otherwise, I say rest up and don't risk a deep playoff run because of a key injury in a meaningless game.

Good answer.
Reply/Quote
Rest your starters. If anything, I’m cool with the Ravens in the playoffs because I think they’ll be the worst team to make it.

I guess I just don’t hate them as much, because if it were the Steelers or Browns, I’m playing to keep them out.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 10:08 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Rest your starters. If anything, I’m cool with the Ravens in the playoffs because I think they’ll be the worst team to make it.

I guess I just don’t hate them as much, because if it were the Steelers or Browns, I’m playing to keep them out.
Definitely if it was the Steelers.  
Reply/Quote
Week 18.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 10:08 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Rest your starters. If anything, I’m cool with the Ravens in the playoffs because I think they’ll be the worst team to make it.

Ravens would be better than the other two wild card teams and the AFC South winner. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 10:08 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Rest your starters. If anything, I’m cool with the Ravens in the playoffs because I think they’ll be the worst team to make it.

Steelers would try to injure the starters.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 10:07 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Good answer.

Something tells me the Ravens' game may decide the division title.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 10:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Steelers would try to injure the starters.

Wouldn't put it past Harbaugh either.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 10:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Ravens would be better than the other two wild card teams and the AFC South winner. 

I disagree. I think the Dolphins and Chargers are both better than the Ravens. You’re probably right about the Titans.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 10:14 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Wouldn't put it past Harbaugh either.

He’s a whiner but I don’t think he’s the go injure people type.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 10:06 PM)Science Friction Wrote: If our seeding position is already determined and a win will not benefit us at all, I say rest your starters and not risk injury with the playoffs upcoming. No matter how much I'd like to kick the Rats in the teeth, it's not worth losing a Burrow, Chase, or Reader.  Now, if playoff positioning is still in play, that's a different story. Otherwise, I say rest up and don't risk a deep playoff run because of a key injury in a meaningless game.

Absolutely the correct answer. Do what is best for us. 
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 10:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He’s a whiner but I don’t think he’s the go injure people type.

According to Bart Scott they are. Said JB was Red Dot on sight
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 10:13 PM)Science Friction Wrote: Something tells me the Ravens' game may decide the division title.

Think so as well

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
This is kind of ridiculous as both these teams are going to be in the playoffs.

A single win for each probably is enough at this point and as bad as the ravens have looked they continue to win anyway.

It's more likely we're playing for the division that last week.
Reply/Quote
Ravens in the playoffs do not scare me. Lamar is horrible post season. And Burrow gets better the bigger the stage.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 09:59 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Let's say that after week 17 the Bengals are in the playoffs and their seeding is already determined meaning that, like last year, the last game of the season against the Ravens doesn't mean anything. But let's say that the Ravens are playing for a playoff spot, win and they're in or lose and they're out. Do the Bengals still rest the starters or do they play to win to keep the Ravens out? I know this scenario isn't likely to happen but it's fun to contemplate.

Rest them up- though like you said, I believe this scenario where we are division winners with nothing left to play for (we’d likely be fighting for 1st or 2nd seed, and Ravens are not in unless they win, is probably less than 5%
Reply/Quote
The coach will rest them most likely. I would like to keep the ball rolling so to speak and let the starters play. I want them to play in preseason as well so we do not have slow starts to the season. The coaches are close to the players so they know best if they will need that week to heal up and get a rest before a playoff run.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 09:59 PM)BengalRed Wrote: Let's say that after week 17 the Bengals are in the playoffs and their seeding is already determined meaning that, like last year, the last game of the season against the Ravens doesn't mean anything. But let's say that the Ravens are playing for a playoff spot, win and they're in or lose and they're out. Do the Bengals still rest the starters or do they play to win to keep the Ravens out? I know this scenario isn't likely to happen but it's fun to contemplate.

I have no idea what the possibility would be, but take your scenario and let's add this wrinkle: if the Ravens win, not only do they make the playoffs, but they then become our first playoff opponent. Do we still rest our starters or knock them out of the playoffs in the regular season? 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote