Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you want to see most improved this season?
If you could pick one thing you hope is better this season compared to previous year(s), what is it you hope to see?

For me, as much as I want to see great pass protection, I think I actually want to see much improved run blocking.
If the Bengals can get the running game going, it can open up the passing offense and reduce the reliability on Burrow and receivers making big play after big play.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Pass rush
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 01:47 PM)BengalBob Wrote: Pass rush

OOh, great call. Bengals were 4th-worst as a team last year.
30 sacks total.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'll be more specific - INTERIOR pass rush. In 2021 with Ogunjobi, Reader and Hill we actually had good push inside but last year the inside pressure was not there which let offenses double Trey.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 01:54 PM)ochocincos Wrote: OOh, great call. Bengals were 4th-worst as a team last year.
30 sacks total.
More 4 man rushes, less zone coverage. 

More (and better) designed runs for Mixon. He was like last in the NFL (in carries). Need more outside zone runs and toss sweeps. 
Reply/Quote
Offensive line's pass protection.

Burrow can pick apart any defense if he has protection.

Our run game was 28th last year and somewhere around there in 2021 and both years we almost won the ship.

I used to say that the run sets up the pass and you need a strong run game, but, in the new NFL, especially with a quarterback like Burrow, the pass sets up the run, which the running game is a minor point anyways.

If teams are pass rushing their defensive linemen upfield and pass blitzing guys, then a running back has less troubles seeing the holes and running through their arm tackles.

Burrow will dominate if we give him time.

If our line protects Burrow, our offense can outscore any team in the NFL with a below-average run game and average defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 02:09 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Offensive line's pass protection.

Burrow can pick apart any defense if he has protection.

Our run game was 28th last year and somewhere around there in 2021 and both years we almost won the ship.

I used to say that the run sets up the pass and you need a strong run game, but, in the new NFL, especially with a quarterback like Burrow, the pass sets up the run, which the running game is a minor point anyways.

If teams are pass rushing their defensive linemen upfield and pass blitzing guys, then a running back has less troubles seeing the holes and running through their arm tackles.

Burrow will dominate if we give him time.

If our line protects Burrow, our offense can outscore any team in the NFL with a below-average run game and average defense.

While I can understand that thought, there was improvement in sacks allowed from 2021 to 2022.
2021 - 3.5 sacks allowed per game (worst in league)
2022 - 2.8 sacks allowed per game (26th in league)

So it's trending in the right direction.

If the Bengals continue the trend again this year, they'll be around 2.1 sacks allowed per game, which will likely end up in the 10th-15th best range.

However, the Bengals have gotten worse in YPA when it comes to rushing.
26th in 2021, 29th last year.
They don't have to run a lot, but they need to be effective when they do.
Maybe we'd have seen the Bengals actually get to a 2nd Super Bowl or maybe even have won one if they had more effective rushing than they did.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Besides the obvious 'better pass pro' I want more defensive turnovers. How those come, whether by pressure or blanket coverage, I don't care.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 01:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you could pick one thing you hope is better this season compared to previous year(s), what is it you hope to see?

For me, as much as I want to see great pass protection, I think I actually want to see much improved run blocking.
If the Bengals can get the running game going, it can open up the passing offense and reduce the reliable on Burrow and receivers making big play after big play.

Well, Bengals have been very good the last 2 years.  Best 2 years in a row that this Bengals franchise has ever had, that's for sure,  So for me it is no let down or going back to the 4 win season ways.  

So I have to say improvement by the players that are taking the place of players that went to other teams in off season.  Now that would be all positions, O Line, RB, DB, TE, Special Teams stand out.  I guess I could say this every year, since players leave and new players come in.  So improvement by the new players which is needed to remain a good TEAM and keep this TEAM at Super Bowl Level they have played at last 2 seasons. 

Yes, the new players coming in and filling the roster holes and getting the job done.  New players either free agent or draft or off the bench, improving to keep this team at a higher level than Bengals have ever been. Two good years, but keep it going.  Bengals fans have waited and I would like to see them have a dynasty era, and 2 good years is not a dynasty.  I'm eager to see the new players step up and keep this TEAM winning.  That's what I want to see. 

Of course the new faces or new moon pies on O Line need to come together as a unit, as a blocking machine. The new DB's have to get the job done, not a ton of missed coverages blowing their assignments. Somebody is going to have to step up and replace Perrine at RB and hep Mixon. I thought Hurst was one tough TE, hard to tackle, and Uzomah was great year before Hurst, so Bengals need a TE to step up. I'm sure we lost some players on all the Special Teams units, and need players to step up on all those.

I do not expect them to hit their peak early in season, and I would not want them to. Win and get better each week, and have this team hitting it's peak going into December, January, February. Super Bowl.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Joe Mixon not falling down after first contact.  That's the ONE thing that makes me bang my head against the wall every game. 
Reply/Quote
The pass rush was worse than the pass pro last year. I want to see improved pass rush...but I am not sure we did enough in the off-season to really bank on that improvement.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 01:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If you could pick one thing you hope is better this season compared to previous year(s), what is it you hope to see?

If the Bengals can get the running game going, it can open up the passing offense and reduce the reliable on Burrow and receivers making big play after big play.

Pts in the 4th quarter, kind of lacking last season.  Ranked 15th in the league while their defense ranked top 5 in fewest pts allowed in 4th qtr.
Reply/Quote

A better yards per rush. When you can’t get positive yardage in the run game that puts more pressure on the QB…. to deliver. We need to use Joe less on short yardage.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I want to see an improved run game for the simple fact if Burrow is injured at any point in the season, we're going to need it.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 01:59 PM)Joelist Wrote: I'll be more specific - INTERIOR pass rush. In 2021 with Ogunjobi, Reader and Hill we actually had good push inside but last year the inside pressure was not there which let offenses double Trey.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
More opening drive TDs. Go down the field
Punch it in for 6. Now put the pressure on
The other offense to match or risk Punting
And potentially being down 2 scores in the
1st quarter
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 02:59 PM)impactplaya Wrote: More opening drive TDs. Go down the field
Punch it in for 6. Now put the pressure on
The other offense to match or risk Punting
And potentially being down 2 scores in the
1st quarter

Not concerned there we were 4th in the league in first quarter scores in ‘22
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 01:59 PM)Joelist Wrote: I'll be more specific - INTERIOR pass rush. In 2021 with Ogunjobi, Reader and Hill we actually had good push inside but last year the inside pressure was not there which let offenses double Trey.

Some of that is that we are designed that way as we are near the top in Rush defense but Ogunjobi was missed.

Reply/Quote
The ability to boldly run the ball on 3rd and a long 2 yds.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Something more than "safe" special teams play. I feel like Simmons didn't have his best year last year.

Better returns, bringing back the fake punt in a key game to ice it (preferably against the Queefs when they think they are getting the ball back with less than a minute to go in need of a FG).

But overall making special teams great again. I know they've changed a lot of the rules, but Bengals can do/be better. Teams have adapted some and still get production out of returns.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote