Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does Tee Higgins do that makes him worth 20+ million a year?
Tee talk dominates this board for good reason. We always talk about him being a 20 million dollar WR, and I think the talk is warranted. Im not talking numbers here, because his numbers on this team will never wow anyone.

But id like to discuss WHY hes a 20 million dollar WR.

My simple answer is feet, hands and height. Elite height at the position and above average hands. Most guys that tall have average or below average hands and feet. A great WR in the AFC that gets alot of talk and is used similar to how Tee is used is Mike Williams from the LAC. But id say Tee is better than Mike because Tee can be trusted to run complex routes.

We are gonna have a hard time keeping Tee.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 10:54 AM)Housh Wrote: Tee talk dominates this board for good reason. We always talk about him being a 20 million dollar WR, and I think the talk is warranted. Im not talking numbers here, because his numbers on this team will never wow anyone.

My simple answer is feet, hands and height. Elite height at the position and above average hands. Most guys that tall have average or below average hands and feet. A great WR in the AFC that gets alot of talk and is used similar to how Tee is used is Mike Williams from the LAC. But id say Tee is better than Mike because Tee can be trusted to run complex routes.

He can bend and twist for a big guy too. I recall his TD against the Ravens the second time. He did a fake in and went out and got low and twisted out like a little guy. Dudes a talent.
Reply/Quote
Tee has elite physical ability, but he also never takes plays off, rarely makes mistakes, and makes the tough catches in the middle of the field. He's been all in since day one
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He plays WR in the 2020s. (He also plays it well, but the first reason is the primary one.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 11:36 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He plays WR in the 2020s. (He also plays it well, but the first reason is the primary one.)

Yep. The current market says he’s gonna make somewhere in the 18-22 million per year range if he produces another 1k season with 8-10 TD’s. The cap is going up, and salaries are keeping pace. Someone will pay him if Cincy does not. I’d like to see an early round WR next year for contingency or depth purposes. It’ll be hard to pay Joe, Jamar, and Tee when the team isn’t awash in liquid assets like the Rams, Cowboys, etc.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 11:49 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Yep.  The current market says he’s gonna make somewhere in the 18-22 million per year range if he produces another 1k season with 8-10 TD’s.  The cap is going up, and salaries are keeping pace.  Someone will pay him if Cincy does not.  I’d like to see an early round WR next year for contingency or depth purposes.  It’ll be hard to pay Joe, Jamar, and Tee when the team isn’t awash in liquid assets like the Rams, Cowboys, etc.

I thought that the Bengals would keep Chase and Higgins and then let Boyd go when his contract ran up (he'll be heading into his age 30 season) but with the way contracts for WRs are, I think now the plan should be just sign Chase and just start using a 2nd round pick for a WR in every other draft from now on ('23, '25, '27, etc) to keep churning out complimentary WRs to fill out the ranks after Chase and his eventual huge payday.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 12:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I thought that the Bengals would keep Chase and Higgins and then let Boyd go when his contract ran up (he'll be heading into his age 30 season) but with the way contracts for WRs are, I think now the plan should be just sign Chase and just start using a 2nd round pick for a WR in every other draft from now on ('23, '25, '27, etc) to keep churning out complimentary WRs to fill out the ranks after Chase and his eventual huge payday.
That's a do-able plan, as long as you don't expect to find a second round receiver like Tee every other year.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 12:42 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: That's a do-able plan, as long as you don't expect to find a second round receiver like Tee every other year.

Nah, it'd be nice if you manage to find a Tee Higgins or a Tyler Boyd, but really once you have Chase you have the real backbone of your WR group already. Then you just need to find yourself a Marvin Jones and a Jordan Shipley. Maybe back that up with an Andrew Hawkins with a later round pick. Much easier to find the complimentary guys. Obviously not as intimidating as Chase/Higgins/Boyd, but it is more than enough to still be a real good WR group.

Maybe a 2nd round WR every odd year and a 4th or 5th round WR every even year? Lol

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 10:54 AM)Housh Wrote: Tee talk dominates this board for good reason. We always talk about him being a 20 million dollar WR, and I think the talk is warranted. Im not talking numbers here, because his numbers on this team will never wow anyone.

Youth as well and being a Bengals fan his entire life. I want this guy back and I am sure he wants to stay here.

Pay THIS man.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 01:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Maybe a 2nd round WR every odd year and a 4th or 5th round WR every even year? Lol

This except no "Lol"

The price of WRs has skyrocketed.  As long as we have Burrow at QB we need to take a WR every draft.  No way are we going to keep hitting on every 2nd round pick like Boyd and Higgins.

Pay Chase whatever he wants and then keep the pipeline full of cheaper guys good enough to compliment him.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 01:04 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nah, it'd be nice if you manage to find a Tee Higgins or a Tyler Boyd, but really once you have Chase you have the real backbone of your WR group already. Then you just need to find yourself a Marvin Jones and a Jordan Shipley. Maybe back that up with an Andrew Hawkins with a later round pick. Much easier to find the complimentary guys. Obviously not as intimidating as Chase/Higgins/Boyd, but it is more than enough to still be a real good WR group.

Maybe a 2nd round WR every odd year and a 4th or 5th round WR every even year? Lol

(06-18-2022, 02:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This except no "Lol"

The price of WRs has skyrocketed.  As long as we have Burrow at QB we need to take a WR every draft.  No way are we going to keep hitting on every 2nd round pick like Boyd and Higgins.

Pay Chase whatever he wants and then keep the pipeline full of cheap guys behind him.

Still want to keep Tee but you guys make fair points.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 11:05 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: He can bend and twist for a big guy too. I recall his TD against the Ravens the second time. He did a fake in and went out and got low and twisted out like a little guy. Dudes a talent.

That's called a slugo
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 05:49 PM)Tony Wrote: That's called a slugo

No. That’s a slant and go. Considering he cut straight out to the sidelines, that’s not a Slugo.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have a very good chance of keeping Tee. Apparently he wants to stay, Chase is good for him and of course Burrow is a no brainer. A contract that the Bengals could do and make Tee happy is something close to what AJ Brown received from the Eagles.

The cap is expected to hit 230M next season but may surpass that number. New TV money and overseas contracts are expected to take the cap to 300M as soon as 2026. Teams are flush with cash. Depending on how Burrow's contract is constructed - rolling guarantees, etc., we could not only keep Tee but also sign Bates with a deal that is somewhere in the middle of Williams and Fitzpatrick... a Bates-Hill safety tandem the next few years could be elite.

Reply/Quote
Height, hands and AGE (dudes young).

Personally I’m looking at 10-15 million myself. I have no doubt someone will open their pocket book for him if he continues on like he has. Barring a leap I think 20-30 is too much for him, but I certainly feel he has the skill to make me eat that crow.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 06:30 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: No. That’s a slant and go. Considering he cut straight out to the sidelines, that’s not a Slugo.

It looked just like the one Jamaar ran when Ward picked it for 100.. Tees was ankle breaking either way.. Hell of a route..
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 06:43 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The Bengals have a very good chance of keeping Tee.  Apparently he wants to stay, Chase is good for him and of course Burrow is a no brainer.  A contract that the Bengals could do and make Tee happy is something close to what AJ Brown received from the Eagles.

The cap is expected to hit 230M next season but may surpass that number.  New TV money and overseas contracts are expected to take the cap to 300M as soon as 2026. Teams are flush with cash.  Depending on how Burrow's contract is constructed - rolling guarantees, etc., we could not only keep Tee but also sign Bates with a deal that is somewhere in the middle of Williams and Fitzpatrick... a Bates-Hill safety tandem the next few years could be elite.

Nice post Casear, I agree that Tee wants to stay, he has been a Bengal fan his entire life and if we offer him something fair he will
take it as he is all class as well and not a crazy greedy dude like a Leveon Bell or something alike. Playing with Burrow and Chase is
the topper and why I think Tee stays with us unless some other team offers him ungodly money.

Also the team really wants to keep Bates, I just don't know how they afford a contract similar to Minkah Fitzpatrick's and are able
to give giant contracts to Burrow, Chase and Higgins. Not to mention Logan Wilson who should command big dough if he becomes
the next best LB in the NFL. Could happen with Logan, he has it all, great instincts, great tackler, always around the ball and can 
cover. Would love to keep Bates and have that tandem but I think Dax Hill-Von Bell tandem is much more likely and can still be elite.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 12:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Casear, I agree that Tee wants to stay, he has been a Bengal fan his entire life and if we offer him something fair he will
take it as he is all class as well and not a crazy greedy dude like a Leveon Bell or something alike. Playing with Burrow and Chase is
the topper and why I think Tee stays with us unless some other team offers him ungodly money.

Also the team really wants to keep Bates, I just don't know how they afford a contract similar to Minkah Fitzpatrick's and are able
to give giant contracts to Burrow, Chase and Higgins. Not to mention Logan Wilson who should command big dough if he becomes
the next best LB in the NFL. Could happen with Logan, he has it all, great instincts, great tackler, always around the ball and can 
cover. Would love to keep Bates and have that tandem but I think Dax Hill-Von Bell tandem is much more likely and can still be elite.

... And Jonah Williams. He won't be terribly cheap either. He ain't Andrew Whitworth, but he's a competent starting LT (regardless of claims to the contrary). He won't be easy to replace if they can't keep him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2022, 12:48 PM)jason Wrote: ... And Jonah Williams. He won't be terribly cheap either. He ain't Andrew Whitworth, but he's a competent starting LT (regardless of claims to the contrary). He won't be easy to replace if they can't keep him.

Jonah could be a cap casualty along with possibly Boyd and Mixon.  They really like Smith and we have 2 more seasons to develop him.

Reply/Quote
Tee Higgins is prime AJ Green.

It's basically that simple.
Reply/Quote