Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What former draft pick were you so wrong about?
I just saw Justin Gilbert, former top 10 pick by the Browns in 2014, suspended four games for substance abuse.
He only played two seasons with the Browns before being cut, then picked up by the Steelers last year with very little production.
He was then cut this offseason by the Steelers and is currently a FA.

It got me thinking about how "all-in" I was on Justin Gilbert back in 2014. He was my ideal CB selection in the 2014 draft. I liked him better than Dennard because he was an electric KR (which the Bengals needed to replace Tate at the time) and was a great cover CB with ballhawking ability coming out of Oklahoma St. In 2011 he had 5 INTs and 2013 he had 7 INTs. He also had 6 KR TDs in his college career. Not only did he have production, he had ideal NFL measurables for CB at 6'0" and 202 lbs with a 4.37 40. I really thought this dude was a can't-miss prospect and he would terrorize the AFC North. However, he's done practically nothing, and I was so wrong about him.

What player coming into the league were you most wrong about that you can remember? It could be that you thought they were going to be great and they did nothing or you thought they would be terrible and lit it up.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 10:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I just saw Justin Gilbert, former top 10 pick by the Browns in 2014, suspended four games for substance abuse.
He only played two seasons with the Browns before being cut, then picked up by the Steelers last year with very little production.

It got me thinking about how "all-in" I was on Justin Gilbert back in 2014. He was my ideal CB selection in the 2014 draft. I liked him better than Dennard because he was an electric KR (which the Bengals needed to replace Tate at the time) and was a great cover CB with ballhawking ability coming out of Oklahoma St. In 2011 he had 5 INTs and 2013 he had 7 INTs. He also had 6 KR TDs in his college career. Not only did he have production, he had ideal NFL measurables for CB at 6'0" and 202 lbs with a 4.37 40. I really thought this dude was a can't-miss prospect and he would terrorize the AFC North. However, he's done practically nothing, and I was so wrong about him.

What player coming into the league were you most wrong about that you can remember? It could be that you thought they were going to be great and they did nothing or you thought they would be terrible and lit it up.

I was a huge fan of Gilberts and was pissed when the browns selected him, however I said almost immediately after they drafted him that I hope he was a bust and well.... The one pick as of recently for us is Paul Dawson, that guy has all the tools and ability, but he just doesn't seem to want it bad enough.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 10:00 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I just saw Justin Gilbert, former top 10 pick by the Browns in 2014, suspended four games for substance abuse.

I was the same way about Gilbert. I was hoping he'd fall to us, and I was ticked when Cleveland got him. I'm curious where we had him ranked on our draft board, since teams have access to all sorts information that the public and analysts don't.

I was definitely wrong about some DTs, Amobi Okoye and Sedrick Ellis. I was hoping we could land those guys, but neither guy amounted to much in the league.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2017, 03:45 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I was the same way about Gilbert. I was hoping he'd fall to us, and I was ticked when Cleveland got him. I'm curious where we had him ranked on our draft board, since teams have access to all sorts information that the public and analysts don't.

I was definitely wrong about some DTs, Amobi Okoye and Sedrick Ellis. I was hoping we could land those guys, but neither guy amounted to much in the league.

Okoye was absolutely a guy I loved, too. He was so young and had so much upside, but it was a pipe dream.

Two of mine were in the same draft. I thought Jason Smith out of Baylor and Aaron Curry out of Wake Forest were going to be awesome. Turns out, neither of them were any good. 

Also loved Jake Locker. I was such a big fan and it ended up being so bad. 
Reply/Quote
Blake Bortles. I was convinced that he was going to be a real star in the NFL, so far he's struggled in Jacksonville. That's not to say that perhaps in a different environment, he can't still become a really good QB.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Some good mentions already. Okoye, curry, bortles.

Some more qbs I thought would be good were gabbert and I thought kapernick would be better.

I thought Kevin white would be unreal. Flop. Justin Gilbert. Flop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I remember being really high on Christian Ponder and hoping he fell to us in the 2nd round.

Glenn Dorsey, the DT out of LSU, and Sedrick Ellis, the DT out of USC, were two big ones I was wrong about in the Keith Rivers draft.
Reply/Quote
Aaron Curry is an easy one for me. I was really high on him and he wasn't bad his first two seasons, but after that it went really downhill with him.

Another one I remember a TON of us on these boards liked was Mardy Gilyard. Liked him a lot out of college and thought he would produce no matter where he went.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
Russell Wilson....I thought he would never be a good starter in the NFL and would be lucky to be a backup in the league. Big miss on that one so far.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2017, 10:36 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Russell Wilson....I thought he would never be a good starter in the NFL and would be lucky to be a backup in the league. Big miss on that one so far.

Looking back, hard to believe that he transferred to Wisconsin, because NC State favored Glennon over him.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I am terrible at QB. I thought Blaine Gabbard and Johnny Football would be good
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Derrick Harvey 2008 draft
Reply/Quote
Rashad Mendenhall.

He had one or two good seasons as a Steeler, and maybe his failure in the NFL was because of the abuse that he says he suffered there, but I thought he'd be great for us.

Maybe he would have been.
Reply/Quote
Earl Thomas - thought he would be too small to hold up in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
I thought the quarterback Bortles was going to be all pro after three or four years
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Desmon Briscoe. I still think he got screwed over by Chad and TO, but he was "my guy" back when we drafted him. He's been out of the NFL since 2012.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I'm loving how nearly everyone has mentioned someone different, and also a nice mix of thinking someone would be great but flopped and vice versa.

Another that really sticks out that I thought would tear up the league but was wrong about was Trent Richardson.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 11:12 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm loving how nearly everyone has mentioned someone different, and also a nice mix of thinking someone would be great but flopped and vice versa.

Another that really sticks out that I thought would tear up the league but was wrong about was Trent Richardson.

I had him in fantasy his rookie year, he did well for me then! But yeah he bombed lol
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2017, 10:17 PM)Shady Wrote: Desmon Briscoe. I still think he got screwed over by Chad and TO, but he was "my guy" back when we drafted him. He's been out of the NFL since 2012.

I liked Briscoe. I just remember when he signed with Tampa and that started some bitterness between the Bucs and us.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I blasted an Indy fan for reaching up in the first round to grab a small tweener that would suck named Dwight Freeney
Reply/Quote