Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What happened to John Ross in 2017? He finally tells you
In 15 years in this business, I've never had a pro athlete speak like this.

Wow.

http://bit.ly/JohnRossOpensUp

Again, thanks in advance for any reads and/or shares. By all means drop some questions here if you have any. I'll have a follow up on Friday that has some other interesting quotes that couldn't make the story.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Great read Jim thanks for posting.

"John stepped into the sunlight. The rain has moved on."

I think nearly everyone of us has been in the rain at one point or another in our lives, I know I have. Good to see he recognizes it, is facing it, and doing the right things to conquer it.

I'll be pulling for him ! Who Dey Clapping
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Great read! THANK YOU for sharing.
Reply/Quote
He certainly did open up. Glad he's got that all behind him. Now we hopefully get to see him become great on the field. Thanks Jim.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Thanks for posting this good read.

Hopefully it is behind him now and time for him to shine in Cincinnati.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/8d6267e62bafe29bf9118c1e0dc917fc2335bf0f/c=0-0-3821-2873/local/-/media/2018/08/01/Cincinnati/Cincinnati/636687305113450342-042717JohnRoss-02.jpg?width=540&height=405&fit=crop

Caption this...
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 10:08 AM)CoCoNuT Wrote: https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/8d6267e62bafe29bf9118c1e0dc917fc2335bf0f/c=0-0-3821-2873/local/-/media/2018/08/01/Cincinnati/Cincinnati/636687305113450342-042717JohnRoss-02.jpg?width=540&height=405&fit=crop

Caption this...

Hyperactive link
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 08:21 AM)jowczarski Wrote: In 15 years in this business, I've never had a pro athlete speak like this.

Wow.

http://bit.ly/JohnRossOpensUp

Again, thanks in advance for any reads and/or shares. By all means drop some questions here if you have any. I'll have a follow up on Friday that has some other interesting quotes that couldn't make the story.

Superbly-written, Jim.

He's gotta put up this year, as he's in a better place and the mess that was 2017, is long gone.

So far, as we've seen from camp, he should be a shining star on the team this year.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
He looked disinterested in training camp last year. He really did. Just going through the motions. He was a big disappointment to watch. Glad to see this year is different.
Reply/Quote
Only sissies talk about their feelings.  When real men feel sad they just shut up and take a pill.  Ross will never make it in the NFL.

Ninja
Reply/Quote
Good stuff, Jim. This really sheds some light on what was going on with him. Will be rooting for him all the more this season.

Reply/Quote
Glad he is happy and enjoying football again! Sounds like he figured out, life is hard!
Reply/Quote
Thats some great journalism Jim. On so many levels.
Reply/Quote
He didn't use the word but depression is insidious and can sneak up on you especially after injuries or major life changing events. I'm glad he found his way out.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I still remember a comment Ross made to the media in camp last year. Something to the effect of "I hope I can contribute this year." Struck me as an odd quote at the time and I took it as someone who lacked self-confidence. This article explains what was probably going on with him at the time and that quote makes a lot more sense now.
Reply/Quote
That darned LaFell, they should have cut him...... Ninja
Seriously though, I hope to hell JR stays off these boards.....
Reply/Quote
I assume a lot of 1st round busts go through this exact scenario.

I don’t think any of us can imagine the meteoric rise these first round guys go through. Gotta be tough
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 12:20 PM)pally Wrote: He didn't use the word but depression is insidious

I have never heard any professional athlete ever use the word "insidious".
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 10:08 AM)CoCoNuT Wrote: https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/8d6267e62bafe29bf9118c1e0dc917fc2335bf0f/c=0-0-3821-2873/local/-/media/2018/08/01/Cincinnati/Cincinnati/636687305113450342-042717JohnRoss-02.jpg?width=540&height=405&fit=crop

Caption this...

I think you mean:
[Image: 636687305113450342-042717JohnRoss-02.jpg...5&fit=crop]

Caption this
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Getting down on yourself happens to the best of us from time to time . Most of us don't get the opportunity to play football in the NFL much less anywhere else for that matter. Some people handle these things differently than others. He's still quite young,  just barely old enough to legally drink alcohol much less handle the stresses of the national spotlight and to top it off he became an overnight millionaire with a lot of unrealistic expectations from a lot of people. 
I doubt many people would be able to deal with it all. Hell, most people I know would break down and cry if someone just mentioned their failures in life. 
I know that at his age I was a walking train wreck headed down the path of alcoholism and other assorted nastinesses. I gave up on a lot of things I had the natural talent to do, but none of it was under the microscope of the national spotlight. 
The easiest thing in the world for a young person facing major setbacks to do is to give up and disappear into obscurity never to be heard from again .  We are usually our own worst enemies. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote