Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
What have the Bengals been doing right.
(04-05-2019, 10:19 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: The Bengals have done some things right lately.

-They fired Paul Alexander
-They fired most of the old coaching staff and brought in someone new and exciting yet untested.
-They released Burfict and did not sign Adam Jones
-They have the coolest helmets!
-They have stayed in Cincinnati.
-Mike Brown's role has diminished and the "new" brass has more input (for better or worse)

They have an animal from the cat family to represent the Bengals and I love cats!
[Image: 8lMoUpf.jpg]  

You beat me to it

Getting rid of PA and ML and staff, better late than never I guess ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 10:19 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: The Bengals have done some things right lately.

-They fired Paul Alexander
-They fired most of the old coaching staff and brought in someone new and exciting yet untested.
-They released Burfict and did not sign Adam Jones
-Mike Brown's role has diminished and the "new" brass has more input (for better or worse)

(04-05-2019, 10:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: You beat me to it

Getting rid of PA and ML and staff, better late than never I guess ?

The Bengals have a losing record since getting rid of Pac and PA, and they have not won a single game since releasing Burfict and bringing in a new coaching staff.

I was asking about what they did right in order to accomplish what they did over the last decade.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 10:27 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think you guys get the point of this thread.  I just posted proof that the Bengals out performed many other teams in the league over the last decade and I wanted to know what they did right to accomplish that.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on that, but if you really have no clue could you just stay out of this thread please.  There are plenty of other threads where you can post your opinions.  And you are free to start your own threads.  

I find it curious that you feel you have to post in a thread when you have no knowledge of the subject of the thread.  Why is that?

My thoughts are that there’s been a lot of other bad teams during that time, and instead feeling better than we’re not alone in our mediocrity, we should strive to be among the handful of teams that don’t get excited about solely making the playoffs.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 10:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: My thoughts are that there’s been a lot of other bad teams during that time, 

So instead of one team getting better you are saying half of the league just got worse.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Seems there would have to be some major event that would make half of the league suddenly get worse.  any idea what that was?
Reply/Quote
They've updated the weight room
They've updated alot of the concessions and scoreboard
They draft pretty well
They're exceptional at salary cap management (probably their best attribute)
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 10:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So instead of one team getting better you are saying half of the league just got worse.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Seems there would have to be some major event that would make half of the league suddenly get worse.  any idea what that was?

Multitude of reasons teams get better or worse. Change GM’s, HC’s, QB’s, etc. And we’re obviously not big on doing any of that.

It just seems like you’re doing mental gymnastics to try and paint this franchise as being anything other than mediocre under Mike Brown.

But I’ll leave you to celebrate our success. Let me know if there’s going to be some kind of banner ceremony planned for all our accomplishments over the last decade. We can unveil the Marvin statue at the same time!

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 10:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But I’ll leave you to celebrate our success.

Another lie used to create a strawman because you can't address what I really said.

I am in no way celebrating anything.  I made that very clear in the OP

(04-05-2019, 10:58 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It just seems like you’re doing mental gymnastics to try and paint this franchise as being anything other than mediocre under Mike Brown. 

I think I have painted the Bengals success over the last decade very clearly, but even if you say they are dead middle of the pack that means they are better than half the teams in the league.  And they can't be better than half of the teams in the league without doing something right.  So I just want to know what you think they have done right over the last decade.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 09:38 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Since the organization is not a big player in free agency, they MUST draft and develop well, and they did that during the run of playoff appearances. What killed this team was the drafting of Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Ross and they are still paying for it.

The irony is the team lives and dies by the draft but has the smallest scouting staff in the league. I have noted the NHL Winnipeg Jets before on the this forum, small city and they live and die with the draft but the have an elite and large scouting staff. Top 5 in the league if not top 2.

No issue with living with the draft, big issue if you don't support the concept.

We have killed a few drafts but been killed by many as well, seems over a long period of time our drafting is average. same with our coaches, overall. 

The Steelers and Ravens are essentially the same model - use the draft and very little in FA - but they have drafted and coached better.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 11:41 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The irony is the team lives and dies by the draft but has the smallest scouting staff in the league. I have noted the NHL Winnipeg Jets before on the this forum, small city and they live and die with the draft but the have an elite and large scouting staff. Top 5 in the league if not top 2.

No issue with living with the draft, big issue if you don't support the concept.

We have killed a few drafts but been killed by many as well, seems over a long period of time our drafting is average. same with our coaches, overall. 

The Steelers and Ravens are essentially the same model - use the draft and very little in FA - but they have drafted and coached better.

Hockey is a little different though in having to scout Europe as well as NA. But there’s nothing wrong with having a big scouting department. There’s really no downside is there? Other than having to spend more money...

Reply/Quote
Let's try to keep it on task instead of on each other
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 10:18 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Are you up for a biggest homer award or something?

I've been critical of plenty of things the Bengals have done. I do it in the threads where those topics are actually topical. I don't go into a thread focused on what they've done right just to complain, because that's not the point of the dang thread to begin with. You're not even addressing or offering counterpoints to these alleged strengths people are offering, you're just in here to take a dump on things. You seem to seek out places to whine and cry whether it's appropriate or not... seems pretty pathetic to me.

If anything in life made me as miserable as the Bengals evidently make you, I'd cut it out of my life. You not only want to continue the relationship, but voluntarily spend your time actively seeking out places to post about something that drives you crazy. If you want to keep wallowing in your misery and looking for self pity, be my guest. I'll pass.
Reply/Quote
Would you say the Chiefs have had a pretty successful decade? The Texans? The Panthers? All 3 teams are right there in the middle of the pack with the Bengals in terms of record over the last decade.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 12:08 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I've been critical of plenty of things the Bengals have done. I do it in the threads where those topics are actually topical. I don't go into a thread focused on what they've done right just to complain, because that's not the point of the dang thread to begin with. You're not even addressing or offering counterpoints to these alleged strengths people are offering, you're just in here to take a dump on things. You seem to seek out places to whine and cry whether it's appropriate or not... seems pretty pathetic to me.

If anything in life made me as miserable as the Bengals evidently make you, I'd cut it out of my life. If you want to keep wallowing in your misery and looking for self pity, be my guest. 

I’m plenty positive in tons of different topics. Go into a thread about Mixon, or Boyd, or AJ, or the hiring of Taylor and you’ll see. But a silly thread like this deserves to be called silly.

And you seem to seek out every opportunity to whine about other people’s perceived whining. Like it makes you a better fan to be irrationally positive at every turn. Which is worse, getting upset about your team, or getting upset about what other people on a message board say about said team?

Reply/Quote
I would say that they had a stretch of good drafts that led to the run of playoff appearances. They were able to accumulate more talent on the roster than they had in a long time.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 12:10 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Would you say the Chiefs have had a pretty successful decade? The Texans? The Panthers? All 3 teams are right there in the middle of the pack with the Bengals in terms of record over the last decade.

KC? Not really, no. They’ve been pretty dreadful in the postseason. That probably changes now with the emergence of Mahomes.

Texans? Meh. Other than beating us a bunch what have they done?

The Panthers at least made a SB run.

Not sure I see your point though. We’re not the only mediocre team?

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 12:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:  Which is worse, getting upset about your team, or getting upset about what other people on a message board say about said team?

I don't know.  Ask the guy who said this

(04-05-2019, 12:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:  But a silly thread like this deserves to be called silly. 

So why is this thread silly if you have so many positive things to say about the team?  All I am asking is what you think is positive about the team over the last decade, and even though you claim to have a lot of positive things to say for some reason you think it is silly for me to ask you to say something positive.

I don't understand what is going on here at all.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 12:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Not sure I see your point though. We’re not the only mediocre team?

The point of this thread is that even mediocre teams have to do more right than the worst teams in the league.  I claim the Bengals have been better than half of the teams in the league over the last decade so I want to know what you think they have been doing right to be better than those teams.

Pretty simple.   In fact it looks like only a couple of people don't understand.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 10:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals have a losing record since getting rid of Pac and PA, and they have not won a single game since releasing Burfict and bringing in a new coaching staff.

I was asking about what they did right in order to accomplish what they did over the last decade.

It is right but give them a chance to play a game.  Sheez.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Oh, I want to add, that the Bengals will replace Dalton and it will be the RIGHT thing to do to get them a win in playoffs.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know.  Ask the guy who said this

So why is this thread silly if you have so many positive things to say about the team?  All I am asking is what you think is positive about the team over the last decade, and even though you claim to have a lot of positive things to say for some reason you think it is silly for me to ask you to say something positive.

I don't understand what is going on here at all.

But I didn’t get upset about your thread. I just posted a dumb Spin Doctors pic to poke fun at you. You and others made it personal.

And I already explained I think it’s just as much about the competition around the league being lacking than anything we’ve done particularly well. You say we’re in the toughest division, and it was pretty damn good for a while there, but getting to play the Browns twice a year certainly helped, no? Was there a bigger doormat in all the league over the last decade?

Reply/Quote