Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
What have the Bengals been doing right.
(04-05-2019, 12:55 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: It is right but give them a chance to play a game.  Sheez.  

Lighten up, man.  I never said a negative thing abut the new coaches.  I just pointed out that I was looking for different information.  The new coaches have nothing to do with why the Bengals outperformed many other NFL teams over the last decade.

This thread is turning into a mess.
Reply/Quote
Lets get back on track here.  

So far people have said the Bengals have been good at finding players after the first round of the draft.  I agree with that.  The Bengals have drafted pretty well, but we can all see what happens when just one or two drafts go very bad.

People have also said we had good coordinators in Zimmer, Gruden, Guenther, and even Hue.  Again I agree.  All of them got head coaching jobs.

One guy even said Marvin was better than a lot of people give him credit for.  Obviously I agree with him.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 07:46 AM)sonofstat Wrote: this * 1000.

We were also pretty good at beating average teams who we should have at PBS most of those years.

Before anyone goes negative...yes I know beating SB calibre teams on the road etc is the sign of a great team etc.  but to log the number of wins over that period we largely took care of business on our field against middle of the road teams.   

Yeah but... They also beat Seattle (stupid play call away from being defending champions), New England, and Green Bay at home.

Also the Bengals bullied Oakland on the road, and curb stomped teams like the Colts, Jets, and Giants at home between 2012-2015. There was even a nice little prime time win over the Steelers in there.

Have they had a pretty shitty three year run? Yup. But I can't pretend that they haven't been one of the better teams in the NFL over the last decade... I know... But playoffs.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
They have drafted some high character guys that are also talented as well.

We could not ask for better in this area in the likes of Green, Atkins, Dunlap, Gio, and yes even a few "positive" posters favorite whipping boy Dalton.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Marvin, Gruden, Zimmer, and yes even a few "positive" posters favorite pariah Hue Jackson were good hires.

Lewis just went stale, made bad clock management/halftime adjustments, and couldn't control his players when they needed him the most.

The initial hire was a home run for them when they desperately need a breath of life.

Hopefully ZT can achieve the same and then some.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 01:20 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah but... They also beat Seattle (stupid play call away from being defending champions), New England, and Green Bay at home.

Also the Bengals bullied Oakland on the road, and curb stomped teams like the Colts, Jets, and Giants at home between 2012-2015. There was even a nice little prime time win over the Steelers in there.

Have they had a pretty shitty three year run? Yup. But I can't pretend that they haven't been one of the better teams in the NFL over the last decade... I know... But playoffs.

That's a BIG but.

Hey heh heh.

Dad jokes!!
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 10:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Drafting well after the 1st RD:

Carlos
Geno
Whit
Burfict
Boling
Williams
Andy

(04-04-2019, 10:48 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Boyd
Mixon
Iloka
Bates
Bernard
Lawson

They really have done well at finding talent later on in the draft. Definitely one of the positive points about this franchise.

This, we are a very good drafting team later in the Draft. Really the Og/Fisher draft makes us look worse than we really are.

Duke does a good job IMO.

Now with new coaches i think we can do better with who we draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 12:31 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And you seem to seek out every opportunity to whine about other people’s perceived whining. Like it makes you a better fan to be irrationally positive at every turn. Which is worse, getting upset about your team, or getting upset about what other people on a message board say about said team?

Yeah, those 1-2 posts I make a day really constitutes seeking out every opportunity. Ya really got me there.

Don't give me that better fan BS, either. You guys wear the "hey guys, look how miserable I am" thing like it's some perverse badge of honor, like you're some amazingly loyal fan for sticking with them anyways that we should all be impressed by. It's laughable.

9 times out of 10 I ignore the whiny topics, because I just could not care less. Wasn't expecting to find some in here, but I guess I forgot what messageboard I'm at. I didn't even mention you by name in my first reply - you weren't the only complainer to show up - but you sure got awful defensive about it right away.
Reply/Quote
The went above and beyond with Devon Still.

Got to respect them for that.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 01:31 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That's a BIG but.

Hey heh heh.

Dad jokes!!

I know. They haven't been flaming garbage over the last 10 years though. Maybe they should've lost a few more games in each of the last 3 seasons, but they always played with heart, and would get a couple empty wins. I do think that they quit last year... Most of them anyway. I didn't watch the last Steelers game (I quit last year too), but caught parts of it on the radio. It seemed they still had a little fight left in them... At least the 2nd and 3rd stringers.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 01:34 PM)NKURyan Wrote: Yeah, those 1-2 posts I make a day really constitutes seeking out every opportunity. Ya really got me there.

Don't give me that better fan BS, either. You guys wear the "hey guys, look how miserable I am" thing like it's some perverse badge of honor, like you're some amazingly loyal fan for sticking with them anyways that we should all be impressed by. It's laughable.

9 times out of 10 I ignore the whiny topics, because I just could not care less. Wasn't expecting to find some in here, but I guess I forgot what messageboard I'm at.

Child Please !

This is the BEST most informed Bengals message board out there with outstanding posters on both sides of debates.

I fully disagree with that dig.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 01:34 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The went above and beyond with Devon Still.

Agreed. Mike Brown kept guys like Pac-Man and Burfict around for years, too. He’s a good man, but a bad GM/owner.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 01:34 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The went above and beyond with Devon Still.

This... Say what you will about Mike Brown, that act of kindness cannot be overlooked. That dude was a scrub, and wasn't even gonna make the 53 man roster that year.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 01:37 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Child Please !

This is the BEST most informed Bengals message board out there with outstanding posters on both sides of debates.

I fully disagree with that dig.

True dat.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 01:37 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Agreed. Mike Brown kept guys like Pac-Man and Burfict around for years, too. He’s a good man, but a bad GM/owner.

Yeah but Pacman and Burfict were two of the best players on defense until each of their last seasons here... Give or take a little. Devon Still was a bust. Let's give Bengals fans a lil credit too. Many fans were buying the jersey of a scrub to help support his little girl.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 01:42 PM)jason Wrote: Yeah but Pacman and Burfict were two of the best players on defense until each of their last seasons here... Give or take a little. Devon Still was a bust.

True, but most other teams would have cut them after the millionth chance. Burfict had Marvin in his corner, too, but I remember Pacman talking about how good Mike Brown was to his family.

Reply/Quote
Bengals had a message board on the mothership that introduced me to intelligent guys like Shake, Wyche, Nate, and yes even Fred.

There are many more that I haven't mentioned.

It was a great thing but we all know how it ended...

Still it generated from the Bengals so I'll give them credit for having a forum.

The alternatives are much, much, much worse.

Facebook is a waste of time.

Thanks again Holic for stepping up!
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 01:45 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: True, but most other teams would have cut them after the millionth chance. 

Both Jones and Burfict were signed by other teams after they left the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I will like to add that the Bengal Organization has given people chances to turn their lives around. Now, many do not agree with this "half-way" mentally (including myself), but I can see how some could see this as "right" thing to do. There are sports and teams want to win but there are people who play the sports and people matter to some at least it seems to Mike Brown.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2019, 01:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Both Jones and Burfict were signed by other teams after they left the Bengals.

So what? Teams will take a flier on troubled players because it doesn’t cost them much. Look at NE and Gordon. How did that work out?

Reply/Quote