Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have we learned in the past few weeks?
Here's the problem with banging the drum for a high pick pass catching TE (in other words a receiver not a blocker). If Zac is back said player will not have routes designed to use them (seams). His offense really is a base 3 WR offense. So if we are stuck with Zac and Sewell is not there Chase is the better offensive value as after Tee and Tyler the quality in the WR room takes a big dive. We can get more OL help in Rds 2-3 - again assuming Sewell gone.

As to Gio to be honest I'd rather have him back there than Mixon. Gio is probably the best pass protection back in the NFL, a good receiver and shifty runner who does nothing but produce every time he gets the chance. Perine seems to be developing as a power back for us. Mixon for his good points is just not the rounded player Gio is.

Also, while Hart did handle JJ Watt note that the offensive alignment had Sample next to Hart most of the time so Hart had help.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:16 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: He didn't indeed

But isn't Ross on the IR ? I don't pretend to understand the whole 2020/covid roster shuffling rules but is he even available ?

I'm not sure if it's IR or just not on active game day roster to be honest.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:39 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: Bengals get Reader and Waynes back on defense next year.Jonah Williams will be back.Joe Burrow I believe will start the season,or close to it.It appears we have a competent back-up to Burrow now.Need a good WR in the first round.And also a good pass rusher in the early rounds.Pick up a good DC in the off season.Fire Anarumo.You have to admit,This Oline is getting much better.I don’t care what the PFF grades are.Then of course you’ll have Jonah Williams back next year.This team is going to roll right into the playoffs next year,despite Zac being HC.

The OL was not good at all against Pittsburgh. They gave up 2 sacks on only 13 attempts, and a bunch of pressures. Sure you can blame Finley for some it, but they also couldn’t run the ball either. Gio only averaged 3.3 yards and Perine 3.5. They still struggle against good DL’s.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:08 PM)DesertBengal Wrote: I learned that, that the staff must really hate J. Ross.

They would rather activate and trot out Trenton Irwin, than give John Ross snaps.  It's clear that Ross has been a bust and struggles with mental errors and drops, but I find it curious that Irwin is being considered a better option.

Yes, I noticed that too...I  was scratching my head asking myself whos that grunge rocker at WR?? LOL
crazy not to at least give Ross one more try...is ship has definitely sailed. I just hope we dont have another Andy Dalton comes to town moment next season when Ross comes in and scores 3 TDs and has 100 yds on us.

Reply/Quote
After yesterday?

Ja'Marr Chase, Come on Down!!
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 04:53 PM)yang Wrote: After yesterday?

Why after yesterday? I actually feel better about Tee potentially becoming a true #1 after seeing him go for almost 100 yds and a TD with a back QB in.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 11:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: People don't realize that last year whem Mixon played every game Gio still played close to jalf (40%) of the snaps. He is more than "just a backup."

I like Gio a lot and think he adds a lot to the third down offense. He is really good at picking up the blitzers. However, for 4.8 million that money can be better spent. 

Last year he played in all 16 games and had 53 carries for 170 yards and 30 receptions out of 43 targets for 234 yards. This year his numbers are up because Mixon has been out. He is currently the 16th highest paid running back according to Over the Cap. Mixon is the 7th highest paid RB. 

To put this in perspective Perine makes $825,000. 

In a salary cap league --overspending hurts the roster. Love Gio but hate the salary. If they re-negotiate with him (other teams do that ) and get him in around 2.8 million then it could work.

Bernard ($4.1 mil) + CJ (5 mil) + Hart (5.9 mill)  = Scherff (15 mil) or Shaq Barrett ($15.8 mil) or Trent Williams (13.2 mil) or Joe Thuney (14.7 mil) 

Seems like a no-brainer to me 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 07:23 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I like Gio a lot and think he adds a lot to the third down offense. He is really good at picking up the blitzers. However, for 4.8 million that money can be better spent. 

Last year he played in all 16 games and had 53 carries for 170 yards and 30 receptions out of 43 targets for 234 yards. This year his numbers are up because Mixon has been out. He is currently the 16th highest paid running back according to Over the Cap. Mixon is the 7th highest paid RB. 

To put this in perspective Perine makes $825,000. 

In a salary cap league --overspending hurts the roster. Love Gio but hate the salary. If they re-negotiate with him (other teams do that ) and get him in around 2.8 million then it could work.

Bernard ($4.1 mil) + CJ (5 mil) + Hart (5.9 mill)  = Scherff (15 mil) or Shaq Barrett ($15.8 mil) or Trent Williams (13.2 mil) or Joe Thuney (14.7 mil) 

Seems like a no-brainer to me 
Getting rid of Mixon's $10 million is a better choice for me.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 07:26 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Getting rid of Mixon's $10 million is a better choice for me.

Except that’s not an option. The dead cap money would be more than we’re paying him next year.

Reply/Quote
Re-sign Spain, pick up one good OL in FA, and draft one OL in the first 3 rounds, and I think the OL should be set.

The defense is tricky. They signed two big FA contracts last offseason with Reader and Waynes, plus you have a lot of money going to Atkins. On top of that, you have two big FAs to worry about with Lawson and WJ3. I'd prioritize Lawson to re-sign given the lack of pass rush and the quality of CB talent in the draft. I'd be hard pressed to go CB in Rd 1 if WJ3 is not re-signed, as I don't have much confidence in Waynes being a true CB1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 03:46 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Yes, I noticed that too...I  was scratching my head asking myself whos that grunge rocker at WR?? LOL
crazy not to at least give Ross one more try...is ship has definitely sailed. I just hope we dont have another Andy Dalton comes to town moment next season when Ross comes in and scores 3 TDs and has 100 yds on us.

I haven't seen anything from Ross that worries me about him going to another team. I absolutely do not want him back. He is injured or ineffective. Has made a few good plays and a few drops but mostly has been absent (injured or otherwise)
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 04:53 PM)yang Wrote: After yesterday?  

(12-28-2020, 04:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Why after yesterday? I actually feel better about Tee potentially becoming a true #1 after seeing him go for almost 100 yds and a TD with a back QB in.

I would think because after Tee and Boyd we have some pretty meh WR options.

Counting on Erickson against most teams is not good and Tate(when healthy)is just okay.

It would be damn great if we added either Chase, or even Pitts because as you stated before, CJ and Sample aren't scaring any DCs either.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 08:05 PM)CanadianBengal Wrote: I haven't seen anything from Ross that worries me about him going to another team. I absolutely do not want him back. He is injured or ineffective. Has made a few good plays and a few drops but mostly has been absent (injured or otherwise)

Agreed, he's had one (1) game in the course of his time here where he looked like a guy that you'd spend a 1st round pick on.  And part of me thinks that was a fluke, as Seattle likely thought he was just a decoy.  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 08:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, he's had one (1) game in the course of his time here where he looked like a guy that you'd spend a 1st round pick on.  And part of me thinks that was a fluke, as Seattle likely thought he was just a decoy.  Mellow

Right.

Dude is actually going to have to work hard somewhere else.

Just being some 1st Rd fast guy from a few years ago ain't gonna make him an automatic for an NFL team.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 08:36 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Agreed, he's had one (1) game in the course of his time here where he looked like a guy that you'd spend a 1st round pick on.  And part of me thinks that was a fluke, as Seattle likely thought he was just a decoy.  Mellow

And even in that one game,  his long ball came close to being picked or deflected if the safety had timed his jump better and/or taken a better angle. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 09:13 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: And even in that one game,  his long ball came close to being picked or deflected if the safety had ruined his jump better and/or taken a better angle. 

That's what makes me think they didn't take him as a serious threat.  They likely thought he was just a decoy to open up underneath routes.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: Here's the problem with banging the drum for a high pick pass catching TE (in other words a receiver not a blocker). If Zac is back said player will not have routes designed to use them (seams). His offense really is a base 3 WR offense. So if we are stuck with Zac and Sewell is not there Chase is the better offensive value as after Tee and Tyler the quality in the WR room takes a big dive. We can get more OL help in Rds 2-3 - again assuming Sewell gone.

As to Gio to be honest I'd rather have him back there than Mixon. Gio is probably the best pass protection back in the NFL, a good receiver and shifty runner who does nothing but produce every time he gets the chance. Perine seems to be developing as a power back for us. Mixon for his good points is just not the rounded player Gio is.

Also, while Hart did handle JJ Watt note that the offensive alignment had Sample next to Hart most of the time so Hart had help.

I agree in getting Chase over a tight end if Sewell is not there. Zak uses his TE to block a lot but Sample has been no match for a good DE.
I have always said Gio is really good at picking up blitzes. That is where Mixon gets a bad grade from me. He looks like he would rather sneak out of the backfield for a screen rather than pick up blitzing LB.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 09:45 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I agree in getting Chase over a tight end if Sewell is not there. Zak uses his TE to block a lot but Sample has been no match for a good DE.
I have always said Gio is really good at picking up blitzes. That is where Mixon gets a bad grade from me. He looks like he would rather sneak out of the backfield for a screen rather than pick up blitzing LB.

Mixon is a better blocker than he gets credit for. He’s not as good as Gio, but few are.

This one against the Steelers was particularly impressive. Big Grin

https://youtu.be/NpI53fu_fxQ

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 09:49 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Mixon is a better blocker than he gets credit for. He’s not as good as Gio, but few are.

This one against the Steelers was particularly impressive. Big Grin

https://youtu.be/NpI53fu_fxQ

That was literally the most exciting thing that happened that night.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 02:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: Here's the problem with banging the drum for a high pick pass catching TE (in other words a receiver not a blocker). If Zac is back said player will not have routes designed to use them (seams). His offense really is a base 3 WR offense. So if we are stuck with Zac and Sewell is not there Chase is the better offensive value as after Tee and Tyler the quality in the WR room takes a big dive. We can get more OL help in Rds 2-3 - again assuming Sewell gone.

I was at game, multiple plays Hart was solo with JJ, and even with Sample there were times he went out into a route. 
Reply/Quote