Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
2020 Winning Season
(01-18-2020, 09:20 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We were 4 and 12 with pretty much the same coaches and players then we get Dalton and Green and start winning ..so now a expected big upgrade at QB should give us a solid case at a winning record.

It wasn't just that we got Andy and AJ that led to a much better outcome than the previous season.

They also changed OC's...moved on from guys like Chad, TO, Tank and Odom...signed Thomas Howard, Manny Lawson, Nate Clements, Donald Lee and traded for Taylor Mays. Also claimed Andrew Hawkins. Brandon Tate and Mike McGlynn off waivers.

It turned out to be one of the better offseasons we've had, and it involved many more pieces than just Andy and AJ.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 05:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It wasn't just that we got Andy and AJ that led to a much better outcome than the previous season.

They also changed OC's...moved on from guys like Chad, TO, Tank and Odom...signed Thomas Howard, Manny Lawson, Nate Clements, Donald Lee and traded for Taylor Mays. Also claimed Andrew Hawkins. Brandon Tate and Mike McGlynn off waivers.

It turned out to be one of the better offseasons we've had, and it involved many more pieces than just Andy and AJ.

Some of those worked out...  but in the end Green and Dalton is what sparked the team and year
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 07:46 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Some of those worked out...  but in the end Green and Dalton is what sparked the team and year

The offense was ranked 18th in points and 20th in yards.

It was NOT the offense that sparked that team at all. 

It was the defense that was ranked 9th in points and 7th in yards. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 01:24 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So Burrow as great as most say we should have a great chance at winning season. Dalton came in helped flip a four win team to a 9  win team.  Burrow expected to be great , I expect to see that success out of the gate.

I'm not sold on the coaching staff. They need to work with the FO and bring in quality FA to help fill the voids that plague the team in 2019. They don't need star players just players that can help improve the team. Than the Bengals also need to draft players that will make an immediate impact, not just Burrow but also anyone drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

Given how the coaching staff operated last year and used their players I'm not sold on them to actually turn this thing around. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 04:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't find that to be an unfair expectation, at all.  Unlike many, who are quick to point to the OL being in an absolute free fall for over half of last season, and the lack of a top shelf receiving weapon, I actually think that the team could be ready to get back on the upswing of things.

If things go as they are *supposed* to, the OL could actually be average or better with the emergence of Jonah Williams, and the addition of one single veteran free agent, and adding a quality prospect or two from the draft.  Fred Johnson could turn out to be a very smart late season pickup by the Bengals, freeing up the need to draft a Tackle for other areas of concern.  Of course, the receiver situation hinges on how they handle the AJ Green contract offer, but Tyler Boyd is going to continue to be his productive self, and Auden Tate got a good year of development under his belt.  Either way with AJ Green, I'm not as worried about WR, as they are fairly easy to come by in this day and age.

In my opinion, the team needs to refocus the offense on establishing a strong rushing attack, and utilizing the TEs and RBs more in the passing attack, than simply trying to push the ball downfield to the WRs.

Defensively, the team needs leadership at LB.  Someone to step up and be the face and voice of the front seven, likely the addition of a proven veteran will provide this much more than even drafting the best rookie or anyone on the existing roster.  The secondary also needs a strong voice to step up, one like we had in Reggie Nelson, and Terrance Newman before him, and Chris Crocker before him.  Someone on the field to call the shots, set the tone, and be that physical example for the others to play by.  Right now our secondary is simply a "collection of talented players", that appears to have no cohesiveness when it comes to performing as an orchestrated unit.

Nice post Sunset. Bring in Thuney, Jamie Collins and Karl Joseph.

Draft Burrow in the 1st, the best RT at the top of the 2nd and weapons for Burrow and I think we would be in a great place.

Great draft for WR's BTW.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 05:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It wasn't just that we got Andy and AJ that led to a much better outcome than the previous season.

Plus they had some young and upcoming talent from there previous drafts. The fisher price group of Michael Johnson , Dunlap and Atkins were on the rise. They added Reggie Nelson the season before via trade. They also drafted Clint Boling in the same draft as Dalton and Green.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 07:38 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Comon now. J. Ross is a weapon!!! He sometimes will catch a bawl every 3 or 4 games.

Clearly an exaggeration. He had at least two receptions in every game he played in 2019.

As for those who still dig at him...
He had 506 yards in 8 games in 2019.
178 of those in the last 4 games.
Even if you project the last 4 over a whole season, that's on pace for over 700 yards for a whole season. Right in the typical range of a WR2, especially given how the Bengals emphasized the run in the second half of the season.

Ross's main issue is remaining healthy. He's improved as a player when on the field. Stop with the false narrative.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 04:10 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Plus they had some young and upcoming talent from there previous drafts. The fisher price group of Michael Johnson  , Dunlap and Atkins were on the rise. They added Reggie Nelson the season before via trade.  They also drafted Clint Boling in the same draft as Dalton and Green.

So it is possible for the FO to make some good moves...

Hope to see them do so again this Offseason.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 04:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Clearly an exaggeration. He had at least two receptions in every game he played in 2019.

Even if you project the last 4 over a whole season, that's on pace for over 700 yards for a whole season. Right in the typical range of a WR2, especially given how the Bengals emphasized the run in the second half of the season.

Ross's main issue is remaining healthy. He's improved as a player when on the field. Stop with the false narrative.

He had the highest drop percentage as well. I think 3 seasons is a big enough sample size to say that the guy can't stay on the field and has bad hands. He flashes at times, but that's about it.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2020, 08:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The offense was ranked 18th in points and 20th in yards.

It was NOT the offense that sparked that team at all. 

It was the defense that was ranked 9th in points and 7th in yards. 

This

'10 offense....20th
'11 offense....20th

'10 defense....15th
'11 defense.... 7th
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 04:15 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Clearly an exaggeration. He had at least two receptions in every game he played in 2019.

OK, how about "he will drop an important bawl every quarter" sound for you? An injured player is worthless. AJ Green. Tyler Eifert. Etc. Nothing to project, zeros across the board. Or you can be like Geno Atkins, play, but be a ghost. Both are as bad.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 05:22 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Or you can be like Geno Atkins, play, but be a ghost. Both are as bad.

You need to watch more NFL football.

Only 10 DTs had more tackles than Geno last year.
Only 8 had more QB hits.
Only 11 had more sacks.

Educate yourself.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 05:22 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: OK, how about "he will drop an important bawl every quarter" sound for you? An injured player is worthless. AJ Green. Tyler Eifert. Etc. Nothing to project, zeros across the board. Or you can be like Geno Atkins, play, but be a ghost. Both are as bad.

That's clearly an exaggeration too.

Ross had 9 drops. If he dropped a pass every quarter, it'd be 32 drops. 9 is obviously not good, but it's not a drop every quarter.

I understand and agree that an injured player has less worth.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 04:22 PM)jason Wrote: He had the highest drop percentage as well. I think 3 seasons is a big enough sample size to say that the guy can't stay on the field and has bad hands. He flashes at times, but that's about it.

That's fair. When on the field, Ross reminds me of Devery Henderson, a 2nd round pick . Big play threat but production is inconsistent.
Henderson, like Ross, really blossomed his final year in college to the tune of 861 yards and 11 TDs at LSU.
Henderson played with the Saints for 9 years for an average of ~500 yards per season.

With that said, Ross (like Henderson) helps stretch the field and makes explosive plays at times, which does provide value.
You just have to take the good with the bad.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 04:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice post Sunset. Bring in Thuney, Jamie Collins and Karl Joseph.

Draft Burrow in the 1st, the best RT at the top of the 2nd and weapons for Burrow and I think we would be in a great place.

Great draft for WR's BTW.

That would be like a perfect storm, as far as a free agent haul for the Bengals goes.

And I agree, it is a great year for WRs.  I run a few draft sims each week, each time trying to take a different route of focus after Burrow.  No matter how many times I play them out, it seems like there are always WRs that I could see making an NFL roster, and pushing for PT, in the 6th and 7th rounds.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 02:24 AM)RASCAL Wrote: where have I heard all this before...................................hmmmmm! Every Year?

The likely best case scenario for 2020 is a Jeff Fisher Special (7-9), with a more probable outcome of 5-11 or 6-10. Too many holes on the offensive line, defense, coaching staff, and front office to field a true contender. We assume another lackluster FA period is coming, and assume some asinine betting on health and “if only’s” is center to the FO’s 2020 plans.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2020, 06:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That would be like a perfect storm, as far as a free agent haul for the Bengals goes.

And I agree, it is a great year for WRs.  I run a few draft sims each week, each time trying to take a different route of focus after Burrow.  No matter how many times I play them out, it seems like there are always WRs that I could see making an NFL roster, and pushing for PT, in the 6th and 7th rounds.

If the FO plays it right we should be okay but we NEED to spend some of that dough a plenty on OL and LB...
Reply/Quote