Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if they went WR in the first and QB in the second?
Just thinking out loud.

What if, say, they decided that with the constant AJ injury issues they need to make sure they have a legit #1 WR and take someone like Jeudy or trade back a few spots and take Riggs? And then in Round 2 they go for their QB with, say, Jordan Love?

I'm not necessarily advocating for this but it is a possible approach.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We could follow the Palmer/Johnson era and the Dalton/Green era with the Jeudy/Love era...sounds promising.
Reply/Quote
This draft is stacked with WR talent and I mean stacked... I hope they double down but not a first rounder.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I REALLY like Love a lot...I think mobile QB's are what you need these days.

But, IF we pick 1 we go Burrow. 2 - you go Chase Young. 3/4 You go OT.

Line is our major issue.

The interesting thing is Love may be gone before we pick in the 2nd. So there's risk.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 06:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I REALLY like Love a lot...I think mobile QB's are what you need these days.

But, IF we pick 1 we go Burrow. 2 - you go Chase Young. 3/4 You go OT.

Line is our major issue.

The interesting thing is Love may be gone before we pick in the 2nd. So there's risk.

Love makes me think of Mike Love...and that's never a good thing.
Reply/Quote
Isaiah Hodges who will go likely go late day two looks like an AJ Green Clone and I dont say that lightly.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 07:08 PM)Synric Wrote: Isaiah Hodges who will go likely go late day two looks like an AJ Green Clone and I dont say that lightly.

Yes. And I like that idea.

IF you look at the elite teams, other than the Saints with Thomas...they seem to not have a ton of money invested in 1 WR. They seem to spread the ball around to a bunch of different guys.

I'd prefer we go with a model like that.

We missed out taking Sample over Metcalf.
Reply/Quote
Wow - Miami and Washington both won too. The Giants have 2 wins.
Reply/Quote
Redskins drafted Haskins and Giants have Jones. I would see them taking Chase Young which would ultimately give us Joe Burrow. I personally would like us to get Chase Young and shore up the o-line by any means neceasary this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 07:19 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Redskins drafted Haskins and Giants have Jones. I would see them taking Chase Young which would ultimately give us Joe Burrow. I personally would like us to get Chase Young and shore up the o-line by any means neceasary this offseason.

The Giants would trade the pick to the highest bidder...and there will be some team. Maybe the Dolphins who would pay a lot.

The Redskins? I don't know that they view Haskins as the answer. Well I know Gruden didn't. It would be interesting to see what they did.

I doubt there's any scenario where Burrow goes #2.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 07:19 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Redskins drafted Haskins and Giants have Jones. I would see them taking Chase Young which would ultimately give us Joe Burrow. I personally would like us to get Chase Young and shore up the o-line by any means neceasary this offseason.

This. I believe either Burrow or Young is a Bengal. All a matter of whether we have the #1 pick (Burrow), or #2 (Young).
"In my mind, I'm already there"
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 07:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Love makes me think of Mike Love...and that's never a good thing.

Mike Love is kind of creepy, but there were some very good athletes in his family.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather go OL in 1 and then QB in 2. Get Andrew Thomas. Run to the podium.

OL talent is sparse these days and there are very few teams with what you'd call bookend tackles. Add Thomas to Jonah, then hope that they can pan out and give you one of the few elite units in the league. WR isn't our problem. Our back end guys have performed well in the absence of AJ and Ross.

Also, Bobby Hart is awful. The OL group has been terrible for too long. Fix it while you have the chance to grab another elite tackle prospect. Give the run game a chance to develop. Give the quarterback time to go through progressions.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:53 PM)samhain Wrote: I'd rather go OL in 1 and then QB in 2.  Get Andrew Thomas.  Run to the podium.  

OL talent is sparse these days and there are very few teams with what you'd call bookend tackles.  Add Thomas to Jonah, then hope that they can pan out and give you one of the few elite units in the league.  WR isn't our problem.  Our back end guys have performed well in the absence of AJ and Ross.  

Also, Bobby Hart is awful.  The OL group has been terrible for too long.  Fix it while you have the chance to grab another elite tackle prospect.  Give the run game a chance to develop.  Give the quarterback time to go through progressions.

The only potential issue with that route, is IF Thomas and Williams are both stars...would the Bengals retain both at high salaries? They should. But would they?

That's the only Con of drafting the same position in back to back years.

The Bengals have done it before with Anderson and Jones.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The only potential issue with that route, is IF Thomas and Williams are both stars...would the Bengals retain both at high salaries? They should. But would they?

That's the only Con of drafting the same position in back to back years.

The Bengals have done it before with Anderson and Jones.

I think they would.  They value the position and have had their stupid noses rubbed in what happens when you don't have/keep good OL.  If they pan out, they'll get extensions, guaranteed.  I'd liken it to the post TJ search for a no2 wr and the post Jones-Sanu search for a compliment to AJ.  They didn't screw up a 3rd time with Boyd.  

Plus, being drafted by the Bengals makes them even more valuable to them.  They overvalue anyone that they draft who doesn't play guard.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Giants would trade the pick to the highest bidder...and there will be some team. Maybe the Dolphins who would pay a lot.

The Redskins? I don't know that they view Haskins as the answer. Well I know Gruden didn't. It would be interesting to see what they did.

I doubt there's any scenario where Burrow goes #2.

I'd wager the DC Squad is going to do whatever the hell Dan Snyder dreams up and then demands on the day of the draft.  Who knows with that guy.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 07:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Love makes me think of Mike Love...and that's never a good thing.

Help me out...

Lead vocalist from Loverboy or the Beach Boys? I know it's one of em. I know it's not Kevin Love.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 07:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes. And I like that idea.

IF you look at the elite teams, other than the Saints with Thomas...they seem to not have a ton of money invested in 1 WR. They seem to spread the ball around to a bunch of different guys.

I'd prefer we go with a model like that.

We missed out taking Sample over Metcalf.

In a few years people will be talking about Metcalf as if he is that elite WR1. Not everyone is Julio or AJ or Miss, and hits the ground running like they did. That's what makes not taking him in the 2nd really hard to swallow. I wasn't beating the drum for him, so I can't say told you so when it happens, but I've seen a lot of him this year. That guy's for real.

A Cincinnati offense with Boyd, Tate, and Metcalf would be looking alright this season. Imagine if it would've been Green, Boyd, and Metcalf.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I think that a WR and then a QB would lead them to 2-14 and Mixon out of town.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I say you build around a QB, not around a WR.

Get your QB and put a good line in front of him by whatever means necessary. After this has been accomplished, then you can start thinking about using high picks to give him fancy toys (WRs).
Reply/Quote