Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is "White Privledge"?
Can someone give me an example of what White Priviledge is?

Have you ever benefitted from White Priviledge?

Do you know anyone who has benefitted from Whit Priviledge?

How do we distinguish between White Priviledge and Class Priviledge?
Lol the mysterious phantom white priv.

It's just a made up word so liberals can feel bad for being white. Or to somehow validate that there is actual racial issues that don't exist.
I don't like the word "privilege", but basically it describes the inherent advantage received by being white in society.

An example could be seeing a vast majority of people in shows and movies represent my race. People don't eye me suspiciously when I'm in stores. If I give my opinion, people don't assume I speak for all white people.

Is there a difference between this and class privilege? Definitely. I grew up lower middle class and didn't have access to the same things as those who had more money. One class privilege could be access to better schools. Access to better food. Treated better when shopping for things.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
A few years ago my mother got me a leather jacket for Christmas and the store left the security tag on it. I managed to walk to the customer service counter and ask to have it removed even though I didn't have a receipt and the woman there believed my story, removed the tag, and I walked out of the store with it.

Being white has its perks, to be sure.
(03-05-2016, 05:52 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I don't like the word "privilege",  but basically it describes the inherent advantage received by being white in society.

An example could be seeing a vast majority of people in shows and movies represent my race. People don't eye me suspiciously when I'm in stores. If I give my opinion, people don't assume I speak for all white people.

Is there a difference between this and class privilege? Definitely. I grew up lower middle class and didn't have access to the same things as those who had more money. One class privilege could be access to better schools. Access to better food. Treated better when shopping for things.

Why wouldn't you see more white people in shows and movies?  Whites make up over 5/8 of the American population.

What I don't like about the term "white privilege" is that it is used only in connotation to one other race, the Black folks.  The Black people make up roughly 12% of the American population, or about 1/8.  For example, I've never seen a Latino or Asian on television, complaining about "White privilege". 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
White privilege is getting pulled over for speeding and knowing that I am statistically less likely to receive a ticket.

White privilege is knowing that nobody will think that I have my job solely because of my skin color or because a quota needed to be filled.

White privilege is working at the courthouse in a suit and people assuming I am a lawyer rather than a defendant.

Those are three that I could think of off the top of my head that affect me directly. While the concept of white privilege can be overblown, it is something that deserves a conversation. Matt tried a while back, and I imagine this thread will suffer a similar fate.
(03-05-2016, 06:23 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: White privilege is getting pulled over for speeding and knowing that I am statistically less likely to receive a ticket.

White privilege is knowing that nobody will think that I have my job solely because of my skin color or because a quota needed to be filled.

White privilege is working at the courthouse in a suit and people assuming I am a lawyer rather than a defendant.

Those are three that I could think of off the top of my head that affect me directly. While the concept of white privilege can be overblown, it is something that deserves a conversation. Matt tried a while back, and I imagine this thread will suffer a similar fate.

Okay, but that's not white privilege....that wouldn't exist if not for Affirmative Action. 

Or is it white people's fault that minorities want AA but are now mad at the easy to foresee consequences of it? 
So the concept of white privilege, or any privilege, boils down to this: two people in the exact same situation with all other things the same other than that one aspect, the person of privilege will be treated more favorably in the situation without external influences.
There have been lost of studies that have shown white privilege in all sorts of areas.

Even when people have the same credit score white people get loans easier than black people.

There have been studies that show that when looking for a place to live white people get better treatment.

There are no people around here claiming that white people are so violent and criminal that they have to be separated from the general population to keep the general population safe.

If you are white you are not going to be stopped by police based solely on your skin color.

White people can buy "flesh tone" bandages.

If you are cwhite then you are the same color as the overwhelming majority of people who do hiring and contracting. And even when people are not overtly racists, if everything else is equal they usually go with the guy who is most like them.
White Privilege is the privilege of ignoring the bad things that happen to non-white persons because it doesn't happen to you.

The fact that bad things happen more often or specifically to a minority is known as inequality or misjustice.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
White privilege is nothing more than whites make up the vast population of our country. If I was born in an Asian country I would be subjected to Asian Privilege. Everybody born in this country is born with limitless possibilities. They are only curbed by those that keep reminding them they do not.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-05-2016, 06:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why wouldn't you see more white people in shows and movies?  Whites make up over 5/8 of the American population.

What I don't like about the term "white privilege" is that it is used only in connotation to one other race, the Black folks.  The Black people make up roughly 12% of the American population, or about 1/8.  For example, I've never seen a Latino or Asian on television, complaining about "White privilege". 

Certainly, but the percentages aren't close to being representative. You also need to look at the roles minorities fill.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(03-05-2016, 06:23 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: White privilege is getting pulled over for speeding and knowing that I am statistically less likely to receive a ticket.

The first one someone is just making shit up. No one presumes that. Being ticketed for speeding each time except once, I don't sit there and bet on the chance that because I am white I may not get one the next time I see those flashing lights in my rear view mirror.

The second one is of a bygone era, not in 2016.

The third one. If I saw a black in a suit in a courthouse I would immediately assume he was a lawyer. I really don't see many black defendants in suits.
(03-05-2016, 10:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: White privilege is nothing more than whites make up the vast population of our country.

At least you admit it exists.

That is more than I can say for a lot of people around here.
(03-05-2016, 07:48 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: White Privilege is the privilege of ignoring the bad things that happen to non-white persons because it doesn't happen to you.

The fact that bad things happen more often or specifically to a minority is known as inequality or misjustice.

That's asinine.

So what 'bad thing' that has happened to a minority have you been ignoring?
(03-05-2016, 11:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: At least you admit it exists.

That is more than I can say for a lot of people around here.

Then why don't rid yourself of some of that guilt? Disappear and we'll have one less white person.
(03-05-2016, 10:20 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Certainly, but the percentages aren't close to being representative. You also need to look at the roles minorities fill.

The lack of roles for minorities in Hollywood is all about white people having more money to spend on movie tickets.

It is about the green not the white and black.

Spike Lee is just so bitchy because he hasn't written a good movie in 20 years.  He has made a few really good movies, but nothing I know about in a long long time.

And why doesn't Will Smith have a production company that does at least one African American themed film a year?  It doesn't take a lot of work to be a movie producer.  All you need is some money and/or connected investors.
(03-05-2016, 11:52 PM)Vlad Wrote:  Then why don't rid yourself of some of that guilt? Disappear and we'll have one less white person.

I have no guilt.

Admitting white privilege has nothing to do with guilt.  That is just the spin the white supremacist put on it to agitate the rubes.

Educate yourself.
(03-05-2016, 10:20 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Certainly, but the percentages aren't close to being representative. You also need to look at the roles minorities fill.

Sure, Geoffrey was cast as a butler on Fresh Prince, but it was for the family of a wealthy Black attorney..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-05-2016, 11:47 PM)Vlad Wrote: That's asinine.

So what 'bad thing' that has happened to a minority have you been ignoring?

I try to make it a point not to totally ignore minority groups when they claim something is an issue for them, even though I may not always agree with them.

Asinine is claiming that something doesn't exist and not even considering it because you haven't seen it or been directly effected by it. That is what a simpleton does.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]