Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is happening?
(03-20-2021, 12:51 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Lawson + Hendrickson? Awesome. Hendrickson instead of Lawson? Downgrade. At least a small one.
Lawson was always hurt. So if youre not on the field, the team has to play with your backup, which will be a definite downgrade. Hendrickson staying healthy and playing is an upgrade over a frequently hurt Lawson.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 03:07 PM)Beaker Wrote: Not a cop out at all. I am saying I dont think they are a downgrade....but I may be proven wrong if they play worse than the players they replaced. But I wont know that until I see them play.

Agree. Fans around here are guilty of the same things as management was for years... overestimating their own players. WJ3 was a solid player, kind of up and down, inconsistent, pretty high maintenance physically. Doesn't really being much in terms of leadership or intangibles. Not someone you build around or should be s core player. We've
 had several better players at CB than him in recent years. 

Lawson has some physical talent, and definitely flashed at times but never quite got it going. His track record of being injury prone and sort of a tease in terms of production goes all the way back to college and will likely continue. Let someone else pay big money for the risk.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 03:52 PM)Mobster Wrote: Agree. Fans around here are guilty of the same things as management was for years... overestimating their own players. WJ3 was a solid player, kind of up and down, inconsistent, pretty high maintenance physically. Doesn't really being much in terms of leadership or intangibles. Not someone you build around or should be s core player. We've
 had several better players at CB than him in recent years. 

Lawson has some physical talent, and definitely flashed at times but never quite got it going. His track record of being injury prone and sort of a tease in terms of production goes all the way back to college and will likely continue. Let someone else pay big money for the risk.

Remember just a couple of years ago when we had this great Tight End, who was a Red Zone threat that drove other teams crazy, but was often hurt and couldn't stay on the field. Remember when posters called him Mr. Glass and wanted to cut him because he couldn't stay healthy? Yeah, somehow Lawson is not getting that same treatment and the fact we brought in a replacement for him is a downgrade..... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 12:51 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I think people are a little too caught up in the activity and not evaluating if the activity is actually improving the team.

WJ III, Alexander, etc - probably better than Hilton & Awuzie. Best case it’s probably a push.

Lawson + Hendrickson? Awesome. Hendrickson instead of Lawson? Downgrade. At least a small one.

Reiff over Hart is a huge W. The fat guy that hangs out near our dunkin is an improvement over Hart.

Ogunjobi is a tick ahead of Adkins, and I only give him that because I truly believe Atkins has been sandbagging and will find a 2nd wind.

Green and Ross gone, won’t miss either. If we somehow get GollaDEY it’s a big upgrade. If not, we’re probably looking at a WR in the first 2 rounds.

Last year they clearly upgraded in a few areas. Atkins, Ross, Hart and Green are additions by subtraction. But we’re not even marginally better on paper.

Bring in Trai, Golladay or another legit starter and I think we get a passing grade. But we, as fans, are a little too distracted by the flashing lights and loud noises.

I usually agree with you, but not so much here.

I see Hendrickson's production as equal to Lawson's - if not better - and he doesn't have the ugly injury history that Lawson does.

Reiff over Hart, obviously.

Ogunjobi is getting way undervalued on here, IMO. Started every game for 3 years with the Browns...on some good defenses. Produced better numbers than any DT we've had recently outside of prime Atkins. He's a solid player and starter. Not a "rotational guy" like I've seen floated on here.

Hilton and Awuzie started/played for some elite defenses and playoff teams. I also think they're being undervalued on here. WJIII has also been a bit overvalued, much like Lawson.

You'd think Lawson was the 2nd coming of LT. That dude on his best day isn't even on Dunlap's level. He's a solid pass rusher...but so is Hendrickson.

--------

Now I don't think this is a home-run free agency, either. I think we mostly side-graded, with a modest improvement to the o-line. We still need major help on the interior. I'd give us a solid B- this free agency, with the ability to move up with some interior help.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 12:51 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I think people are a little too caught up in the activity and not evaluating if the activity is actually improving the team.

WJ III, Alexander, etc - probably better than Hilton & Awuzie. Best case it’s probably a push.

WJIII has been a solid cover corner, but struggles in zone, which is what Anarumo supposedly wants to run more of.  Awuzie is the opposite.  Great athlete, but better suited for zone.  And Hilton has some pass rush in him.  

I am not saying I that they will be hands down better, but if they fit the scheme that they are trying to  run...and basically got the two players for less than the cost of WJIII's contract.  

Will that money be used on GollaDEY?  Remains to be seen.  But these moves make a lot of sense.

And with respect to Lawson and Hendrickson, the durability difference is staggering.  And I liked Lawson.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 04:48 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: WJIII has been a solid cover corner, but struggles in zone, which is what Anarumo supposedly wants to run more of.  Awuzie is the opposite.  Great athlete, but better suited for zone.  And Hilton has some pass rush in him.  

I am not saying I that they will be hands down better, but if they fit the scheme that they are trying to  run...and basically got the two players for less than the cost of WJIII's contract.  

Will that money be used on GollaDEY?  Remains to be seen.  But these moves make a lot of sense.

And with respect to Lawson and Hendrickson, the durability difference is staggering.  And I liked Lawson.  

Golladay just signed with NY.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 04:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I usually agree with you, but not so much here.

I see Hendrickson's production as equal to Lawson's - if not better - and he doesn't have the ugly injury history that Lawson does.

Ogunjobi is getting way undervalued on here, IMO. Started every game for 3 years with the Browns...on some good defenses. Produced better numbers than any DT we've had recently outside of prime Atkins. He's a solid player and starter. Not a "rotational guy" like I've seen floated on here.

Hilton and Awuzie started/played for some elite defenses and playoff teams. I also think they're being undervalued on here. WJIII has also been a bit overvalued, much like Lawson.

You'd think Lawson was the 2nd coming of LT. That dude on his best day isn't even on Dunlap's level. He's a solid pass rusher...but so is Hendrickson.

--------

Now I don't think this is a home-run free agency, either. I think we mostly side-graded, with a modest improvement to the o-line. We still need major help on the interior. I'd give us a solid B- this free agency, with the ability to move up with some interior help.

You do realize you’ve just doomed Hendrickson, right?

Kidding. Fair take. Would rather you be correct than me.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 05:32 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: You do realize you’ve just doomed Hendrickson, right?

Kidding. Fair take. Would rather you be correct than me.

Maybe I did. ?

I remember people wanting Leon over JJo because Joseph was "made of glass". Leon goes on to catch the injury bug while JJo was a relative iron man after that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm just sitting here thinking about how Joe Burrow still looks like a teenager.. I had the same problem until my late 30s..I was still getting carded for beer and cigarettes then.. Now my hair is turning gray they finally stopped doing that.. Maybe Joe will remain a great QB well into his 40s playing for the Bengals.. Wouldn't that be a hoot? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 04:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I usually agree with you, but not so much here.

--------

Nice post Shake, completely agree with everything you said. Need a Guard and another End in my opinion to up that grade.

Which isn't a bad grade for what it was before the Reiff signing. This signing made all the rest look much better.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2021, 04:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Golladay just signed with NY.

Yep, and DAMN...did they want to sign him!  I can't believe how much they paid him.  Although I don't know the contract details and it probably has a two year out clause like Waynes' contract or something similar. 
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 08:10 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, and DAMN...did they want to sign him!  I can't believe how much they paid him.  Although I don't know the contract details and it probably has a two year out clause like Waynes' contract or something similar. 

That is kinda some Bengals shit though; isn't it? There's no market for FA wide receivers? Let's bid against ourselves on this multi-year deal. We gotta give him more than Curtis Samuel got... Ya know.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2021, 01:08 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: What is happening?
Back to back active years in free agency?
Letting familiar players go for better and / or cheaper alternatives?
Exercising the team's ability to get out of deals with crappy or aging players before the contract expires?
Former greats recruiting for the team aggressively ?
A QB wining and dining a FA lineman who might keep him upright?
Maybe ring of honor?
New Uniforms?
Back to back active years in free agency?

Thoughts ?

The difference is that the Power has been handed over to Kate and Troy
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 11:54 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: The difference is that the Power has been handed over to Kate and Troy

Or that Mikey is facing his own mortality and coming to realize that the way he was doing things was not going to get him a championship before he leaves this earth...
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 12:11 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Or that Mikey is facing his own mortality and coming to realize that the way he was doing things was not going to get him a championship before he leaves this earth...

Like I've said numerous times on here, Mike mentioned in an interview before last season that it was Katie, Troy & Duke that were now running things.
We then got the FA agent's last season and again this year, Things have changed for us and we will see it a lot more going forward.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 12:22 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Like I've said numerous times on here, Mike mentioned in an interview before last season that it was Katie, Troy & Duke that were now running things.
We then got the FA agent's last season and again this year, Things have changed for us and we will see it a lot more going forward.

Who was behind the Taylor signing? Who decided to keep him? Don't like those FO moves, at all. 
Reply/Quote
It is common knowledge that it was Katie, Troy and Tobin who interviewed and hired Taylor.
Why do you think he wasn't fired? they don't want to look like they failed in there first major decision.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 09:44 AM)jason Wrote: That is kinda some Bengals shit though; isn't it? There's no market for FA wide receivers? Let's bid against ourselves on this multi-year deal. We gotta give him more than Curtis Samuel got... Ya know.

You're right.  It is something like what the Bengals would have done in the past.  Right now, if you said I could have either guy (Samuel or GollaDEY), I would take Samuel if I had to have their contract as well.  
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 01:51 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: It is common knowledge that it was Katie, Troy and Tobin who interviewed and hired Taylor.
Why do you think he wasn't fired? they don't want to look like they failed in there first major decision.

Which is to say mistakes are still being made. Maybe too soon or bad luck, but results are still: Bengals suck.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2021, 02:22 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: You're right.  It is something like what the Bengals would have done in the past.  Right now, if you said I could have either guy (Samuel or GollaDEY), I would take Samuel if I had to have their contract as well.  

Yeah... My Buckeye bias may be showing but I think Curtis would have been a great fit here. He'd basically be what we hoped Ross would become. Ron Rivera clearly likes him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote