Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is our biggest need in the draft?
Question 
I'm your opinion what is our biggest need on draft day? Assuming we get a coach that is allowed to draft the guys he wants without Mikey screwing it up. Hopefully, he gives him the keys to the lumina, and allow him to sign free agents as well. I tried to make this a poll question, but when I select poll. Nothing changes, much like the bungles.

1. Offensive tackle- ced sucks and the justly is still out on fisher he could be the answer but probably not. Plus we could possibly sign a fa and draft a center late to get rid of bodine.

2. Cornerback- Jackson dre and denard look fine but paceman is 34 and can no longer play the way he used to. If we get the right trade for mccarron we could draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round

3. De I like johnson, but dude is getting old and has lost a step he's a great player but he rarely gets pressure on the we anymore

4. Safety- sure iloka is good but he could really use some help. When we had n loan out secondary was dominant. Iloka is more of the help guy rather than the man we could use another great safety

5. Quarterback- yes I know we have 3 time pro bowler Mandy but this is a qb heavy draft and we will have a top 10 pick. If the right guy is there you draft him. Mandy will get his chances to prove he's still the guy but a new head coach will not let him sit there and throw bad pass after bad pass like he's continued to do. He's a great guy but that doesn't translate to a winning qb. I know it's not all his fault because our line blows but if would be nice to have a qb in waiting so if Mandy doesn't play to expectations you go to the next guy.

6. Wide receiver- I know we have 50 of them but we gotta see what ross brings to the table. I'm not ready to label him a bust yet but whatever coach comes in has to get him on the field and see what he can do. Lafell is not the answer neither is Boyd. It's yet to be determined what will happen with eiffert the only way he will be resigned is if it's for a box of cracker jacks. He it will take him a while to get back to his old self. Kraft is serviceable but maybe you let eiffert walk and take a te/we in rounds 4-7 we found Marvin Jones in round 5 and he wasn't too bad.

All that said my bengal friends what do we need to draft first assuming we do the norm and nothing I'm fa. I am optimistic that the new coach will have more leeway as he will demand things like that if Mikey wants a good coach. What are your thoughts about what we need and do you agree or disagree and is there a snowballs chance in hell Mikey will allow the new head coach to actually call the shots? In Mikey's open letter to the fans he said he will do what it takes to win, will he stand by that?
Reply/Quote
Offensive line and linebackers: Anything else is a wasted pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 11:38 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I'm your opinion what is our biggest need on draft day? Assuming we get a coach that is allowed to draft the guys he wants without Mikey screwing it up. Hopefully, he gives him the keys to the lumina, and allow him to sign free agents as well. I tried to make this a poll question, but when I select poll. Nothing changes, much like the bungles.

1. Offensive tackle- ced sucks and the justly is still out on fisher he could be the answer but probably not. Plus we could possibly sign a fa and draft a center late to get rid of bodine.

2. Cornerback- Jackson dre and denard look fine but paceman is 34 and can no longer play the way he used to. If we get the right trade for mccarron we could draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round

3. De I like johnson, but dude is getting old and has lost a step he's a great player but he rarely gets pressure on the we anymore

4. Safety- sure iloka is good but he could really use some help. When we had n loan out secondary was dominant. Iloka is more of the help guy rather than the man we could use another great safety

5. Quarterback- yes I know we have 3 time pro bowler Mandy but this is a qb heavy draft and we will have a top 10 pick. If the right guy is there you draft him. Mandy will get his chances to prove he's still the guy but a new head coach will not let him sit there and throw bad pass after bad pass like he's continued to do. He's a great guy but that doesn't translate to a winning qb. I know it's not all his fault because our line blows but if would be nice to have a qb in waiting so if Mandy doesn't play to expectations you go to the next guy.

6. Wide receiver- I know we have 50 of them but we gotta see what ross brings to the table. I'm not ready to label him a bust yet but whatever coach comes in has to get him on the field and see what he can do. Lafell is not the answer neither is Boyd. It's yet to be determined what will happen with eiffert the only way he will be resigned is if it's for a box of cracker jacks. He it will take him a while to get back to his old self. Kraft is serviceable but maybe you let eiffert walk and take a te/we in rounds 4-7 we found Marvin Jones in round 5 and he wasn't too bad.

All that said my bengal friends what do we need to draft first assuming we do the norm and nothing I'm fa. I am optimistic that the new coach will have more leeway as he will demand things like that if Mikey wants a good coach. What are your thoughts about what we need and do you agree or disagree and is there a snowballs chance in hell Mikey will allow the new head coach to actually call the shots? In Mikey's open letter to the fans he said he will do what it takes to win, will he stand by that?

There are 5 different options that I could see us going In the first option and I will rank them accordingly to how I would like to see them. But first off know we shouldn't draft any tackles this year unless it's a 4th round projection like jamarco Jones. There are no great tackles this year but there are next year. 

1. Trade down and draft Billy price the best center/guard in the draft and follow that up by draft in the best guard in the draft I the second round in will hernandez

2. Derwin James fsu. He is just a freak at the position. When I was gonna a watch his tape based on what I'd been hearing I was expecting to see Kam chancellor type. But when u watch his tape their is only 1 true comparison. The late great sean taylor. He plays just like him.At 6"3 223 pounds James is the te guarding safety we need, as well as can play lb, CB and de.

3. Bradley Chubb de nc state  if he falls is a no brainier. De is a slight need not big at all bc we have Lawson and if we sign Smith again then we have 4 starting quality players in Dunlap, Willis, Lawson,Smith., but Chubb is a absolute monster in the run and pass. Reminds me a lot of Joey bosa.

4. Raquan smith mlb georgia. Dude like Chubb is just a monster and every bit worth of a top 5 pick. Smith along with burcict would be 2 amazing lbs. Dude also didn't miss a tackle all year.

5. Courtland Sutton wr smu. The absolute best wr to come out since aj green and Julio jones. He would also make the perfect complimen to replace aj. Has the same concerns as aj green as well great route runner and same height an weight but lack of top end speed is a question. 
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 11:44 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Offensive line and linebackers: Anything else is a wasted pick.

I agree about S, though.  A ball hawking FS is a big need.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Offensive line hands down. We have one decent O-linemen in Boilng , we basically need 4 new starters. I doubt we sign any decent free agents, plus the free agent Tackle class is horrible. The scary thing is the Bengals need to fill a ton of holes on their roster solely through the draft because they barely use free agency so we will need almost immediate impacts from this years rookie class to fill those holes. Tough to fill all these needs through one draft. ( Bengals draft needs) Right Tackle, Left Tackle, Center, Right Guard, Tight End, Number 2 and number 3 wide receiver who can get open , Defensive end , Nose Tackle , 3 linebackers I say 3 because are only good one Burfict is always one hit away from a 10 game plus suspension, and a safety that can actually cover and make plays on the ball, Kicker maybe ? don't really trust Bullock. Also by the time we develop some of our young players, guys like Dunlap, Atkins will be free agents and getting older. I see a long rebuild for the Bengals ahead no quick turn around.
Reply/Quote
Do people just feel better about themselves calling Dalton "Mandy" or something else?
Reply/Quote
Center. The only center under contract will be TJ Johnson.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 12:30 AM)Synric Wrote: Center. The only center under contract will be TJ Johnson.

I think that just falls into the "4/5 of a new line" category.  It might even be the top one.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
1. Center
2. Offensive Tackle
3. Quarterback
4. Offensive Guard
5. Linebacker
6. Tight End
7. Safety
8. Cornerback
9. Kicker
10. Defensive End
11. Defensive Tackle
12. Wide Receiver
13. Running Back
14/15/16. Fullback/Punter/Long Snapper

"..." indicating a large gap between the needs.
Reply/Quote
C
OTx2
OGx2
LBx2
QB if we can trade McCarron for a decent pick

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 11:44 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Offensive line and linebackers: Anything else is a wasted pick.

I agree. But I wouldn’t be too upset if the right QB presented himself.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
More Picks!
Reply/Quote
I really think the time is now to move on from Dalton. He's on a team friendly deal for a reason. If we get a new (not from within) coach then yes move on. The way I see it is A. Take the best available QB and then draft linemen in the 2nd and 3rd to get some playing time with Dalton for 1 year or B. Draft linemen in the First and second, see what you can get for Dalton and Start AJ and draft a QB in the 4th/5th RD. At this point I really don't care if both our QB's are open for trade.
Reply/Quote
O line damnit
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 02:01 AM)Cure4CF Wrote: O line damnit

I couldn't agree more. I hope the new coach comes in and hits the ground running and hopefully he can get Mikey on board about signing a quality lineman or 4 they will be out there and it won't cost a damn arm and a leg to bring them in. If we get the right coach he will have no problem convincing some expecially if he comes from a winning team to sign with the bungles. We just need a coach that has had successs in the past that will bust his ass to get us to the promised land.
Reply/Quote
AN EFFING OWNER!!!

[Image: f_mb_zpsvyz9npsu.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 03:12 AM)Rattler Wrote: AN EFFING OWNER!!!

[Image: f_mb_zpsvyz9npsu.jpg]

This. Right. Here.

Then burn the entire roster down and start over.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
QB.
Reply/Quote
This is going to sound sad, but it's true as far as I can see.

We need everything we needed going into last year's draft, plus more.

We need:

1. A center. But we'll wait until the late rounds and pick through the scraps.
2. At least one OT. Two new OTs would be good. Three would be ideal cause Smith is aging. Fisher and Oggieboggie boy are going into their 4th season next year and their rookie deals are up. But watch Mikey Brown exercise Oggieboggie's 5th year option and pay him $9 or 10M. Laugh, the guy is a moron.
3. A WR who can get open and get on the field. Ross has yet to do anything. He's as fragile as cracked glass.
4. The team will looking for someone to replace Dunlap. I know that's a Debbier downer comment, but watch them not even try to extend Dunlap.
5. The team will be looking for someone to replace Atkins. Same as Dunlap.
6. If we can get a top tier QB, then, yes you gotta pull the trigger. But that means another big hole will go unfilled because Mikey Brown will not sign anyone in free agency cause free agency is the devil.
7. We need two LBs to play with Burfict. Where have all those Virgil fans gone???????? Remember the Virgil fan club thread???????
8. I agree on safety. The signing of Williams over Nelson was another Mikey Brown mistake. And the moron paid Williams more than Nelson accepted to go to Oakland.

Since we don't have enough draft picks to do all the above and the fact that I expect Mikey Brown to be more involved in the draft decisions, like in 2017, I fully expect a third dismal season in a row next year.

Just watch, we'll spend our top 10 pick on a one year wonder with an injury history once again.

Reply/Quote
1. Left tackle
2. O-line other than LT
3. Safety - Iloka and Williams have been banged up and neither have looked amazing when healthy.  Fej and Shaw have looked like above average backups/special teams dudes, not good starters.  They could use a true centerfield safety that will let them play some single-high coverage.
4. Linebacker - Burfict is the only above average starter.  He has had injury and suspension issues, and may well be dumped by the next coaching regime or kicked out of the league if he can't clean up his after the whistle stuff.  Hell, he may be suspended for just happening to lay a hit like any of the Steeler linebackers regularly do.  Even if there are no problems with him staying on the field, you need two good linebackers to play nickel and could use a 3rd that can stop the run for base.
5. Wide Receiver - No one has established themselves as an above average #2 WR yet.  Erickson has looked good in limited action, but he might be exposed if asked to take a ton of snaps.  I'm guessing that there's probably a reason as to why they haven't committed to him as a permanent fixture on the offense.

The other needs seem less severe than those positions to me.  You could argue DT or TE(personally think that Kroft and Uzomah are fine).  I think that CB looks at least serviceable with WJIII developing.  
Reply/Quote