Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the standard for this upcoming season?
I think it's important that we define what the "standard" is for this team heading into the season. What are the expectations, the goals, and the assumptions?

If you would have asked me this question last year at this time, my answer would have been completely different from what it is now. I would have said I would have been "thrilled" with simply a winning record.

Well, times have changed, obviously. I think many of us would be disappointed with a winning record and missing the playoffs at the end of the 2022 season.

I think this is also important when it comes to evaluating coaching performances. I know it sounds crazy, but the jury is still out on ZT in my opinion. I need to see sustained success and growth from year to year.

For me, the realistic expectation/goal is to win the AFC North and AT LEAST win a playoff game. If this happens, I think this team continues to trend in the right direction - especially as our young guys continue to gain experience and hit their primes.

And this is me being realistic. I'm not going to sit here and say "Super Bowl or bust!" because I know just how hard it is to make that happen. I also know things change from year to year like schedule difficulty and teams around our team improve. The AFC is much more difficult this year than it was last year.

So, what do you think the expectations and goals are heading into 2022? Division Title? Playoff win? AFC Championship? Or do you just simply "want some butts!" if we don't make the Super Bowl again?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 10:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think it's important that we define what the "standard" is for this team heading into the season. What are the expectations, the goals, and the assumptions?

If you would have asked me this question last year at this time, my answer would have been completely different from what it is now. I would have said I would have been "thrilled" with simply a winning record.

Well, times have changed, obviously. I think many of us would be disappointed with a winning record and missing the playoffs at the end of the 2022 season.

I think this is also important when it comes to evaluating coaching performances. I know it sounds crazy, but the jury is still out on ZT in my opinion. I need to see sustained success and growth from year to year.

For me, the realistic expectation/goal is to win the AFC North and AT LEAST win a playoff game. If that happens, I'd call this season a success. If this happens, I think this team continues to trend in the right direction - especially as our young guys continue to gain experience and hit their primes.

And this is me being realistic. I'm not going to sit here and say "Super Bowl or bust!" because I know just how hard it is to make that happen. I also know things change from year to year like schedule difficulty and teams around our team improve. The AFC is much more difficult this year than it was last year.

So, what do you think the expectations and goals are heading into 2022? Division Title? Playoff win? AFC Championship? Or do you just simply "want some butts!" if we don't make the Super Bowl again?

Pending any big injury, I think AFCCG should be the standard. That said, a season like the bills had last year, losing in a tight divisional round game, would qualify.

I guess It would be at least a competitive divisional Round game (get the 1 seed or win a WC). The afc is loaded, so nothing is a given.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Min 1 playoff win
Reply/Quote
Tbh, anything short of a SB victory this year will be a disappointment. If we made it last year with a lesser roster, we should be there again with a better roster. Unlike Most SB teams ours didn't get picked apart in FA or guys getting old and retiring. We're in our prime now. Anything short of a SB victory will stink.

If Cincinnati wants to be the next great dynasty SB victories should be the standard. I get it that things happen during the season but every player's standard should be a SB victory every season, especially with the stacked roster we have currently.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 10:08 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Pending any big injury, I think AFCCG should be the standard.  That said, a season like the bills had last year, losing in a tight divisional round game, would qualify.  

I guess It would be at least a competitive divisional Round game (get the 1 seed or win a WC).  The afc is loaded, so nothing is a given.

I thought about that, but I think the difficulty of the AFC this year changes that for me. The winner of the division this year could end up facing a team like the Chiefs, Broncos, Ravens, or Chargers in the first round. That's tough. 
Reply/Quote
Last year, I said I'd be happy with playing meaningful games in December, and boy did we ever!

This year, I'd be completely happy with even a hard fought, well earned wild card birth and then getting into the playoffs and perhaps knocking someone off. I don't want to expect or accept decline, but the success we had last season just has so many uncontrollable variables, that its not something I'm going into the season expecting. I certainly think we CAN, but I'm not going to judge this season on if we can match or exceed last season's success. We've got an elite core for years to come, and I have no doubt that the dominance will be on display at some point in the next couple of years.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 10:14 AM)wcu Wrote: Last year, I said I'd be happy with playing meaningful games in December, and boy did we ever!

This year, I'd be completely happy with even a hard fought, well earned wild card birth and then getting into the playoffs and perhaps knocking someone off.  I don't want to expect or accept decline, but the success we had last season just has so many uncontrollable variables, that its not something I'm going into the season expecting.  I certainly think we CAN, but I'm not going to judge this season on if we can match or exceed last season's success.  We've got an elite core for years to come, and I have no doubt that the dominance will be on display at some point in the next couple of years.

This is a great point and that's why I brought up sustained success in my OP. I think as long as we continue to make the playoffs, this team will eventually "break through" again and get to the Super Bowl. This is basically why it's so important to have an elite QB - they make this possible. 
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 10:14 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I thought about that, but I think the difficulty of the AFC this year changes that for me. The winner of the division this year could end up facing a team like the Chiefs, Broncos, Ravens, or Chargers in the first round. That's tough. 

It is tough, but this team came back against the chiefs twice… and was 1 play away from a SB birth. I understand history and how hard it is for a SB losing team to make it back, but this team is just so young… that I could see it being different.

A finish like the titans would leave me disappointed. A season like the bills would leave me disappointed as well, but with high expectations for next year. Considering The difference between Tannehill and Allen, I don’t think we end the season like The titans.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 10:22 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: It is tough, but this team came back against the chiefs twice… and was 1 play away from a SB birth.  I understand history and how hard it is for a SB losing team to make it back, but this team is just so young… that I could see it being different.  

A finish like the titans would leave me disappointed.  A season like the bills would leave me disappointed as well, but with high expectations for next year.  Considering The difference between Tannehill and Allen, I don’t think we end the season like The titans.

I don't think anyone thought the Titans were going to damage in the playoffs (even their fans). Their best player was also a shell of himself in the game (Henery). It's absolutely beyond me how they ended up with the 1 seed last year. I guess beating up on a weak AFC South will get you there.
Reply/Quote
Absolute minimum anyone should have is making the playoffs.
My personal standard is at least getting to the Divisional Round (Rd 2) of the playoffs.
Which would obviously mean either a playoff win or being top seed in the AFC.
I'm not going to go as far and say it has to be AFCCG appearance, as that can heavily depend on which team the Bengals could play in the Divisional Round.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 10:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Absolute minimum anyone should have is making the playoffs.
My personal standard is at least getting to the Divisional Round (Rd 2) of the playoffs.
I'm not going to go as far and say it has to be AFCCG appearance, as that can heavily depend on which team the Bengals could play in the Divisional Round.

Right, there is so much luck involved in making runs that. I agree with you that making it to Divisional Round should be the standard every year that Burrow is healthy going forward. Once you get to the playoffs anything can happen but being in the hunt each year is expected.
Reply/Quote
My minimum last year was playoffs, with Zac in his third year and a lot to prove. After a SB appearance, playoff wins are the minimum now. I would be somewhat surprised if the team made the SB again this year given how hard that is, but with their core, the window should still be open for another couple of years after this one, and I do see them making it back to the big game and holding the Lombardi before that window closes.

One thing for sure is that the AFC should be a lot of fun to watch this year, and I expect some great games.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 10:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Absolute minimum anyone should have is making the playoffs.

this is where im at well stated...

Gotta make the playoffs No excuse not to...  But anything can happen in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote

Agree

There's just so very many things that can happen. Being in the Super Bowl every season is just unrealistic thinking. Can we make it this season ? Sure I believe we have good chance.

But just being a true contender for many years to come will be such a giant change and I'm happy with that. With of course a couple rings thrown in.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 10:23 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I don't think anyone thought the Titans were going to damage in the playoffs (even their fans). Their best player was also a shell of himself in the game (Henery). It's absolutely beyond me how they ended up with the 1 seed last year. I guess beating up on a weak AFC South will get you there.

Titans fans had every reason to have high expectations.  They beat the Bills, Chiefs, Rams, and 49'ers during the regular season.  

Personally, I think every fan base gets up for the playoffs and overlooks their team's flaws as they dream of a SB run.  I mean, despite the fact our defense was terrible, a lot of us thought we had a great chance to win the SB in '05 if the Steelers don't torpedo Carson's knee.
Reply/Quote

I agree with this. Min should be the 2nd round of the playoffs. Past that you never know who you will run into. We could get an easy divisional opponent and would then expect a win. Could be a hard fought game against the chiefs/bills/etc and then I don’t think anyone would blame them for a close loss. Just depends how the season and seeding play out.
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 10:13 AM)Mer Wrote: Tbh, anything short of a SB victory this year will be a disappointment. If we made it last year with a lesser roster, we should be there again with a better roster. Unlike Most SB teams ours didn't get picked apart in FA or guys getting old and retiring. We're in our prime now. Anything short of a SB victory will stink.

If Cincinnati wants to be the next great dynasty SB victories should be the standard. I get it that things happen during the season but every player's standard should be a SB victory every season, especially with the stacked roster we have currently.

Agreed. This is our time. To be honest, the best teams don't settle for any less. It doesn't make them more "frustrated" if they fall short, it just sets their standard internally and drives them to success (i.e., shoot for moon- at least end up among the stars). Likewise, setting the bar lower doesn't make any team less frustrated. No one's really satisfied with last season except the Rams. 

And I'm totally comfortable in that space, expecting championships. That's what we signed up for. "One playoff win" or a "good showing on Championship Weekend"? Nah. I'm glad we're not there anymore. 
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2022, 10:14 AM)wcu Wrote: Last year, I said I'd be happy with playing meaningful games in December, and boy did we ever!

This year, I'd be completely happy with even a hard fought, well earned wild card birth and then getting into the playoffs and perhaps knocking someone off. I don't want to expect or accept decline, but the success we had last season just has so many uncontrollable variables, that its not something I'm going into the season expecting. I certainly think we CAN, but I'm not going to judge this season on if we can match or exceed last season's success. We've got an elite core for years to come, and I have no doubt that the dominance will be on display at some point in the next couple of years.

It's easy to forget that that's all we were doing last year... Playing meaningful games in December. If we lose that Chiefs games (as most expected we would), and continue our losing streak to the Browns, the Bengals were watching the playoffs at home.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
If we experience relatively good health I’d say at least make it to Conference semis. There’s going to be some good teams in the AFC. Buffalo & KC are as good or better than us ( except our improved OL May have something to say). Denver,LA, or Vegas could get hot. Don’t think they are better than us but very close. But I’m really confident in this staff. They seem to get better and better. Okay call me wearing Oakley glasses with orange lenses and black frames but I think the offense and defense better this year.?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
This was one of the questions asked on The Athletic's fan survey.

1. What are your realistic expectations for the 2022 Bengals?

Make playoffs, advance at least to AFCCG 60.9
Make playoffs, lose early 21.5
Win Super Bowl 11.9
Vegas is right, about 9.5 wins 5.0
Shy of .500 0.5
Top 10 draft pick 0.0

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote