Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is your earliest Bengals memory?
I became a fan at some point in 2005 when I was 12 years old. I don't remember exactly when, and I don't really remember anything specific from that season. I don't think I even watched the playoff game! I wasn't a serious football fan at this point in my life, but I "liked" the Bengals. In 2006, I watched a little more but again, I don't have any specific memories from the season. I wasn't very invested. I do remember certain storylines from that season, such as the Bengals being 8-5 and losing out to finish the season, causing them to miss the playoffs. One of them was a game against the Broncos.

My first actual Bengals memory is from 2007, week two, when the Bengals played the Browns and lost 51-45 to Derek Anderson, who threw five TDs. I remember that game so vividly and I remember being absolutely stunned that the Bengals lost to the Browns. I went outside with my football and tossed it around thinking "man, what the hell?!". I have a lot of memories from that season. It was Leon Hall's rookie season and he struggled, as young CBs often do. I remember Chris Henry catching a bomb down the middle of the field against the 49ers on MNF. I had that game on my TV as I sat in bed with my homework. Glenn Holt returning a kickoff for a TD against Buffalo. Despite the team going 8-8 again, I have a lot of fond memories from that season. Probably a bunch of nostalgia covering it since I was still young, but I remember it being fun.

What are some of yours? 
Reply/Quote
I remember watching the games at home with my family - the Corey Dillion/Akili Smith years - the years when we were absolutely terrible. Kordell Stewart and Bettis on the Steelers.

I actually remember going to a game with my dad as a little kid - I made him buy me a terrible towl on the way out (someone was selling them on the street) because I thought they were cool. I didn't know any better.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Carnell Lake knocking the ball out of Pickens’ hands as he was running down the sideline for a touchdown. Steelers recovered the football and went on to win.
Reply/Quote
No idea... think I hit the alcohol too much as an adult.

I know I remember a bit of the Corey Dillon years and Jeff Blake... but I don't recall much until we get to Kitna and Palmer.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
1975 i was 10 and went to MNF Bengals vs Bills and Ken Anderson threw for over 400 yards and OJ Simpson ran for 200 yards and the Bengals won 33-24.
Reply/Quote
Greg Cook throwing perfect long passes for TDs to Bob Trumpy.

Cook was/ could have been just as good as Joe B. His injury was one of the first dark moments haunting Bengal history.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown in his pork pie hat skulking along the sidelines. I actually thought Virgil Carter was some great QB or something.. Hey, being 8 years old was different back then..  Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I became a fan in 1981 at 10 years old. That was the year they changed their helmets and I was playing mighty mites as a WR. I put 80 on my Helmet and was a young Cris Collingsworth clone.
Reply/Quote
1982 Super Bowl vs Niners. Everyone was all in on SF and I just fell in love with the helmets and was rooting hard for Bengals. I was 10 years old and my love for the Bengals has never waivered.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 10:50 AM)Danimal Wrote: I became a fan in 1981 at 10 years old. That was the year they changed their helmets and I was playing mighty mites as a WR. I put 80 on my Helmet and was a young Cris Collingsworth clone.

Same year and same reason!
Reply/Quote
Became a Bengals fan in the late 80s. Thinking back, my earliest memories are of the Ickey Shuffle
Reply/Quote
Going to a game with my dad at Nippert Stadium. Wonderful memory.
Reply/Quote
Just like a couple of you have already mentioned, my first memory is watching the '81 season Superbowl at 9 years old. It took another 5 years or so before I starting following them regularly, but there was a time in my life I'd never miss a game. I was so diehard I used to record them on the VCR while I was at work and tell my boss not to call after 1 because I'd be in silent phone mode and didn't want any updates.

And then I got married and had kids and my priorities changed. Suddenly Bengals games weren't as important as they once were. The really cool thing is since the last Superbowl the Bengals were in both my boys (11 & 13) are now into the Bengals and I get to watch the games with them.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
Opening Bengals sweats and other things at Christmas in 88 and then doing the Ickey Shuffle with my brothers
Reply/Quote
Watching Bengals games with my father and uncles, and Bob Trumpy coming to my Pee Wee football banquet in 71 as a guest speaker. Don't recall much about the Bengals then and actually more about the family bonding. 75 is when I start recalling about players and such

First game attended was in 1981 against the 49ers who Bengals later that season met again in the SB. You could buy tickets in the top 6 rows of the stadium for a big discount and we sat in the 2nd to the last row. The wind was howling on this cold day and the beer vendors would only make it half way up before selling out forcing us to take turns running up and down the steps to buy beer.

Kenny Anderson was hurt so the 49ers won easily this day. Jack "the Throwin' Samoan" Thompson was at the helm guiding the Bengals much to the fans disapproval and chants echoed thru Riverfront for Turk Schonert to replace him.

Later that year we had a big SB party, although we deemed it the Striper Bowl in honor of their new helmets. Had a pony keg of Little kings shipped to Louisville to have a Cincinnati theme even. Good times and my Bengals fan roots run deep.

Much different from the front row seats directly behind the Bengals bench I had for 30 years as a season ticket holder from 1991- 2020.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
2003 season was the first I remember actually watching some games and having an interest, I was around 14 years old at the time. I remember them almost making the playoffs but lost in the last game to et eliminated. The next year 2004 was the first I watched every game, and also the first game I went to against Baltimore where Jamal Lewis ran for over 200 yards and we only scored 3 FGs lol. Hey we paid them back later in the year with an awesome comeback game. I really thought Palmer was the man and was gonna be the next Peyton Manning.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
Earliest memory probably 1996 vs the Colts.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 10:22 AM)Southpaw Frerotte Wrote: Carnell Lake knocking the ball out of Pickens’ hands as he was running down the sideline for a touchdown.  Steelers recovered the football and went on to win.

So many costly debacles against the steelers throughout the Bengals history, it's crazy. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 10:49 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Greg Cook throwing perfect long passes for TDs to Bob Trumpy.

Cook was/ could have been just as good as Joe B. His injury was one of the first dark moments haunting Bengal history.

Pretty much my memory as well, though it's hard to gauge if he was as good as JoeyB after so long a time. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 10:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: I became a fan at some point in 2005 when I was 12 years old. I don't remember exactly when, and I don't really remember anything specific from that season. I don't think I even watched the playoff game! I wasn't a serious football fan at this point in my life, but I "liked" the Bengals. In 2006, I watched a little more but again, I don't have any specific memories from the season. I wasn't very invested. I do remember certain storylines from that season, such as the Bengals being 8-5 and losing out to finish the season, causing them to miss the playoffs. One of them was a game against the Broncos.

My first actual Bengals memory is from 2007, week two, when the Bengals played the Browns and lost 51-45 to Derek Anderson, who threw five TDs. I remember that game so vividly and I remember being absolutely stunned that the Bengals lost to the Browns. I went outside with my football and tossed it around thinking "man, what the hell?!". I have a lot of memories from that season. It was Leon Hall's rookie season and he struggled, as young CBs often do. I remember Chris Henry catching a bomb down the middle of the field against the 49ers on MNF. I had that game on my TV as I sat in bed with my homework. Glenn Holt returning a kickoff for a TD against Buffalo. Despite the team going 8-8 again, I have a lot of fond memories from that season. Probably a bunch of nostalgia covering it since I was still young, but I remember it being fun.

What are some of yours? 

You are young KG lol

88-89 Super Bowl, I was 7 years old. My mom loved Joe Montana and the 49ers. I saw the other team in those cool striped 
helmets and that became my team right there and then and ever since. We nearly won, barely lost in heartbreaking fashion 
with that amazing drive by the first Joe Cool. Been a lot of heartbreak since, but I smell the Lombardi coming soon....

Rock On
Reply/Quote