Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the knock on Preston Brown?
So after reading the article on Preston Brown this AM - I'm asking myself - what's the knock on Preston Brown?  With this guys credentials - why would the Bills let him go?  Now - If everything is as great as the Bengals.com article reads I'm actually kind of stoked about the linebacker situation - post suspension games.  To have Tez, Brown and Vigil on the field at the same time might be close to having the best LB tandem in the league this year.  Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 08:35 AM)BengalD Wrote: So after reading the article on Preston Brown this AM - I'm asking myself - what's the knock on Preston Brown?  With this guys credentials - why would the Bills let him go?  Now - If everything is as great as the Bengals.com article reads I'm actually kind of stoked about the linebacker situation - post suspension games.  To have Tez, Brown and Vigil on the field at the same time might be close to having the best LB tandem in the league this year.  Thoughts?

Two down thumper who is not a great coverage guy. That said, an upgrade over Minter, Maualuga, etc. The issue at LB this year will be the annual Vontaze vacation and getting production from Vigil’s spot.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 08:42 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Two down thumper who is not a great coverage guy.  That said, an upgrade over Minter, Maualuga, etc.  The issue at LB this year will be the annual Vontaze vacation and getting production from Vigil’s spot.

Ah - guy is a tackling machine but don't get him on an island with a good TE huh?
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 08:35 AM)BengalD Wrote: So after reading the article on Preston Brown this AM - I'm asking myself - what's the knock on Preston Brown?  With this guys credentials - why would the Bills let him go?  Now - If everything is as great as the Bengals.com article reads I'm actually kind of stoked about the linebacker situation - post suspension games.  To have Tez, Brown and Vigil on the field at the same time might be close to having the best LB tandem in the league this year.  Thoughts?

‘Might be Close to having the best lb tandem in the nfl.’ Hilarious.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 08:45 AM)BengalD Wrote: Ah - guy is a tackling machine but don't get him on an island with a good TE huh?

Sounds like the bulk of NFL LBs, thus the proliferation of the athletic TE. (as opposed to the 6th OL type of yesteryear)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Wait...you think having Vigil out there is a good thing??

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 08:45 AM)BengalD Wrote: Ah - guy is a tackling machine but don't get him on an island with a good TE huh?

Basically every Bengal linebacker ever. Solid tackler, but cant cover a Tight End worth a lick.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 08:35 AM)BengalD Wrote: To have Tez, Brown and Vigil on the field at the same time might be close to having the best LB tandem in the league this year.  Thoughts?

[Image: 0ba41f273603018208e055cd83d9082dc262e038...05d6f9.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The knock on Preston Brown is that he's solid but unspectacular.

Brown has excellent instincts that serve him well both against the run and pass. He is also very good at recognizing what the offense is doing breaking up screens and reading play action. But Brown doesnt make big plays though meaning few INTs PDs TFLs fumbles and sacks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 11:12 AM)Synric Wrote: The knock on Preston Brown is that he's solid but unspectacular.

Brown has excellent instincts that serve him well both against the run and pass. He is also very good at recognizing what the offense is doing breaking up screens and reading play action. But Brown doesnt make big plays though meaning few INTs PDs TFLs fumbles and sacks.

If he can stand up and tackle the ball carriers at the line and not be a drag down tackler, 5 yds down field, then he will be huge upgrade over any inside backer we've had in a long time.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 11:56 AM)sandwedge Wrote: If he can stand up and tackle the ball carriers at the line and not be a drag down tackler, 5 yds down field, then he will be huge upgrade over any inside backer we've had in a long time.

By a 5' 3" 124lb running back none the less ,eh?  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Sounds like he's roughly equivalent to Keith Rivers then?

Reply/Quote
Vigil should not be starting. if he wasn't over drafted so high (mistake) he would not be starting for us.
Reply/Quote
His father has the same name as the esteemed team owner ..Of course that has nothing to do with didly squat, but isn't that enough ?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 01:25 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Vigil should not be starting.  if he wasn't over drafted so high  (mistake) he would not be starting for us.

Think Jordan Evans can take his spot?
Or Jefferson or Worley
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 08:42 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Two down thumper who is not a great coverage guy.  That said, an upgrade over Minter, Maualuga, etc.  The issue at LB this year will be the annual Vontaze vacation and getting production from Vigil’s spot.

I keep hearing that, but if he only played 2 downs, how did he lead the NFL in tackles? 

Usually those guys are types that stay on the field.

--------

To the OP, the Bills didn't really dump him. They wanted him back and made an offer. Just didn't have the cap space to make the offer Minter wanted.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/03/source_buffalo_bills_losing_lb_preston_brown_to_cincinnati_bengals.html

Quote:Despite an offer to return to the Buffalo Bills, Brown is heading where he feels wanted and signing with the Cincinnati Bengals, a source told NYUP's Ryan Talbot.

Bills general manager Brandon Beane made it clear on Friday that the team was low on funds. While they may have wanted Brown back, the offer likely wasn't competitive enough given the Bills' salary cap situation. 

We've always had a bad habit on the boards of thinking that any available player must have a serious flaw or reason his team didn't want him. Sometimes teams just don't have the funds to keep every player. Think about when we lost Housh, Justin Smith, Joseph, Michael Johnson, Zeitler, etc.

Those were all good players, right? Well the same thing happens to other teams. I'm not saying Brown is going to be Ray Lewis, but I also doubt we just signed some scrub that somehow led the league in tackles.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 01:14 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Sounds like he's roughly equivalent to Keith Rivers then?

Keith could cover.

Nothing above league-average, but he could cover most TEs: his pick of Phillip Rivers in '09, he was stride for stride with Gates.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 01:29 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Think Jordan Evans can take his spot?
Or Jefferson or Worley

I have a feeling we are going to be surprised by Vigil this year
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 02:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I have a feeling we are going to be surprised by Vigil this year
Oh how happy I would be if any of those guys turn out.

Vigil seemed to be good in his second year of being where he should be.  He just did not seem to be able to stack, shed and tackle worth a darn.  That was complicated by the fact that he got injured (shoulder??) in the middle of the season and it was all downhill from there.

Evans is really fast but did not seem to know where he was supposed to be.

I believe Jefferson will be more of the same: a waste of a third down pick.   I would have been more interested in the one armed man (S. Griffin).

We'll see, but I don't have a lot of confidence in any of our backers after Burfict and Brown.  

And I don't believe we have solved the problem of covering tight ends and running backs, unless we use Williams to do that.

My biggest hope is that Worley will shock everyone.  He doesn't have the measurable, but it sounds like he has the instincts.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 02:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I have a feeling we are going to be surprised by Vigil this year

Maybe Kroft will put on a Vigil jersey this year.... Muahaha
Reply/Quote