Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where was the challenge?
(09-19-2016, 05:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not here trying to bash you, or discredit either your opinion or eyesight, but the TV commentators had no problem seeing that it should have been a challenge, and I agree with them.  The question is;  Why do our coaches in the booth not have the same camera angles and technology that we all see on television?  Or, is it more that they are just not paying close enough attention up there?

OR, do they see the same big picture we see where the game was ref-tilted to Shitsburgh again this year, like in years past, and figured on something borderline that there was no reason to waste the challenge in that situation and save it for a situation later on where there might be a call that is just 100% undeniably wrong and would HAVE to get changed...?  Maybe the 1% doubt was enough to assume we'd get shafted like usual and just not to even bother with anything less than 100% clearcut (though that apparently doesn't exist anymore once the Boyd fumble call stood later in the game)
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 05:42 PM)jonesy84 Wrote: OR, do they see the same big picture we see where the game was ref-tilted to Shitsburgh again this year, like in years past, and figured on something borderline that there was no reason to waste the challenge in that situation and save it for a situation later on where there might be a call that is just 100% undeniably wrong and would HAVE to get changed...?  Maybe the 1% doubt was enough to assume we'd get shafted like usual and just not to even bother with anything less than 100% clearcut (though that apparently doesn't exist anymore once the Boyd fumble call stood later in the game)

Meh, that is weak sauce.  Call for the damn challenge flag!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Just more evidence of Marvin Lewis's incompetence. This is why his team's play like shit against the Stoolers, why his record against them is abysmal, and his team's have yet to win a playoff game.

His team's are woefully unprepared in intensity, his coaching gameplan is horrid, and his game time decisions, such as failing to challenge this play, are sub-par!!! This entire football team demonstrates his conservative and passive approach to the game, which is not a recipe for success!!

The play should of been challenged, period!!! It is common sense....you are at a division rivals house, in a close game, with bad weather, at the end of the season this game could very well mean not making the playoffs, and the DAMN play was close enough that you don't need freaking HD televisions with slow motion replay to confirm that you should spend the challenge!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 05:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, that is weak sauce.  Call for the damn challenge flag!

True, i'm just getting cynical at this point.  LOL
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 05:16 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not here trying to bash you, or discredit either your opinion or eyesight, but the TV commentators had no problem seeing that it should have been a challenge, and I agree with them.  The question is;  Why do our coaches in the booth not have the same camera angles and technology that we all see on television?  Or, is it more that they are just not paying close enough attention up there?

Apparently I was under the wrong impression that scoring plays were automatically reviewed. My guess now is that it first must be ruled as a score. 
And my second guess is that it's in Pittsburgh and it just doesn't matter. With all of the reasonably well-documented video evidence of what the refs didn't call yesterday, we probably should just not expect anything otherwise....
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Didn't get to see the game. Anyone got video of that play?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:57 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yep, that's what I heard too.....who's up there, Piano Man? Ninja

??? Don't get the reference. Please explain.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 06:39 AM)xxlt Wrote: ??? Don't get the reference. Please explain.

https://classicalpianoimprovisation.wordpress.com/tag/paul-alexander/
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 08:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: On the play where Uzomah should have had the TD catch?  Sure, he never got two feet down, but replay clearly showed his knee down in bounds.  I realize that Marvin could not have seen that, from his vantage point on the sideline, but someone in the booth should have seen that and alerted him to throw the flag.

The TV announcers did not mention it until many plays after it....many, many plays after it.....and then they came up with this John Madden says one knee equals 2 feet...but the TV announcers had been all for the replays showing not both feet in for a long time until many plays later...The announcers also thought that wasn't a fumble at the end and refs would reverse it....WRONG....Steelers get the ball, game over.....So I doubt if refs would have reversed the out of bounds in end zone catch, and we end up losing a time out. ....The only people to make a point of this was TV announcers many plays after the play, and at that point it is too late...The way that game went, I doubt if we get the refs to change it to a TD...The ref may look at not 2 feet in, and not even care about the knee. ....I was sure we would get the ball on the replay of the fumble, and we did not. ........Now I remember Madden saying a rear end equals 2 feet, so maybe he said a knee also, but nobody saw it until many plays after the play.  By then it is too late. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 10:53 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I watched it in my living room and didn't think it was worth a challenge, but I guess I didn't look at it well enough. Still thought it was argueable that his knee touched the line, and the refs weren't going to overturn it... I guess you guys would be calling for my head Big Grin lol

Doesn't really matter.  If Marvin had tossed the challenge flag and lost a timeout the same people here would be hating on Marvin (and Paul Alexander).  That is just what they do.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2016, 03:48 PM)kevin Wrote: The TV announcers did not mention it until many plays after it....many, many plays after it.....and then they came up with this John Madden says one knee equals 2 feet...but the TV announcers had been all for the replays showing not both feet in for a long time until many plays later...The announcers also thought that wasn't a fumble at the end and refs would reverse it....WRONG....Steelers get the ball, game over.....So I doubt if refs would have reversed the out of bounds in end zone catch, and we end up losing a time out. ....The only people to make a point of this was  TV announcers many plays after the play, and at that point it is too late...The way that game went, I doubt if we get the refs to change it to a TD...The ref may look at not 2 feet in, and not even care about the knee. ....I was sure we would get the ball on the replay of the fumble, and we did not. ........Now I remember Madden saying a rear end equals 2 feet, so maybe he said a knee also, but nobody saw it until many plays after the play.  By then it is too late. 

Pretty sure that the phrase "one knee equals two feet" has been standard for quite a long time.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:25 AM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Lewis said in post game that upstairs told him he was out of bounds.
Well, get rid of the Doofus upstairs. Oh! It was probably Mikey working the replay booth.    In that case do it for sure! ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Marvin not throwing that challenge flag may have cost them the game.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2016, 09:36 AM)Earendil Wrote: It doesn't matter.  Even if Marvin had challenged it, there's no way the call would have been overturned.  Boyd's "fumble" proves that.

Maybe. But, if Fat Marvin had challenged the potential touchdown, the official's psychology may have been different on the Boyd play.  The refs would have already over ruled a Bengal touchdown.

To me, not challenging the potential touchdown was an extraordinary lack of support for your players' extraordinary effort during that rain-soaked game and it shows a lack of the will to win.

I couldn't care less about the poor resolution on the stupid-assed TV screen.  Challenge the damn call!  Rage against the constant holding.  Stick up for your players for crap sake!!!
Reply/Quote
Weather he should have threw a flag or not is strictly benefited by hind sight but I would like to see him throw a fit on the sideline when they are getting punked by the refs. I know it's obviously not in his nature or we would have seen it by now. But c'mon Marvin and show some fire. Raise hell just once. Pissed
Reply/Quote