Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should the Bengals change scheme wise?
We spend lots of time arguing about what changes the Bengals should make to the roster and coaching staff, but what would you guys like to see them change regarding their schemes.

I know that a lot of people want to see us blitz more on defense, but that is not a big deal to me. A 4-3 team needs to get pressure from the front four without blitzing. Plus, even though we had problems getting pressure on the QB last year dropping 7 into coverage worked well enough to make our pass defense the only elite part of our team.

What I would like to see is the offense throw the ball to our TEs down the field more. We have drafted some good receiving TEs, but we rarely see them throw the ball more than 5 or 10 yards downfield to our TEs.
Reply/Quote
I would like to see a lot more play action passes. Now that we have a stud back in Hill, we need to ride him, but we also need to keep the defenses honest and I don't see a better companion to our rushing attack than to incorporate some play action passes.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We spend lots of time arguing about what changes the Bengals should make to the roster and coaching staff, but what would you guys like to see them change regarding their schemes.

I know that a lot of people want to see us blitz more on defense, but that is not a big deal to me.  A 4-3 team needs to get pressure from the front four without blitzing.  Plus, even though we had problems getting pressure on the QB last year dropping 7 into coverage worked well enough to make our pass defense the only elite part of our team.

What I would like to see is the offense throw the ball to our TEs down the field more.  We have drafted some good receiving TEs, but we rarely see them throw the ball more than 5 or 10 yards downfield to our TEs.

I was going to say the same thing.  That and more slant routes over the middle.  We usually get eaten up on these routes.  
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We spend lots of time arguing about what changes the Bengals should make to the roster and coaching staff, but what would you guys like to see them change regarding their schemes.

I know that a lot of people want to see us blitz more on defense, but that is not a big deal to me.  A 4-3 team needs to get pressure from the front four without blitzing.  Plus, even though we had problems getting pressure on the QB last year dropping 7 into coverage worked well enough to make our pass defense the only elite part of our team.

What I would like to see is the offense throw the ball to our TEs down the field more.  We have drafted some good receiving TEs, but we rarely see them throw the ball more than 5 or 10 yards downfield to our TEs.

Most definitely.   You got tall guys who can move, use them.  We don't seem to exploit the deep middle enough. 

I like what Hue did with the run game.  There should be enough pieces in place to be able to exploit any weaknesses in coverage, meaning there's no reason for the passing game not to be as dangerous as the run game.     
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I kind of would like to see more attempts using the spread four man receiver/TE combination with the up-tempo offense. Ball control offense works great when you're winning and you think your defense is solid and won't give up too many big plays. But just the idea of being able to shift gears and run a whole different style of O effectively and keep an opposing D guessing would be kind of neat to watch.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Also get Gio involved as a receiver more than just a dump off or safety valve.

I don't think he would be a pure slot receiver, but we could still get him downfield on more wheel routes out of the backfield or in limited situations out of the slot. Especially on first downs when the defense is in a base scheme instead of a nickle package.
Reply/Quote

I think we held off on throwing deep to the TE's because Gresh was pretty good at breaking tackles underneath the coverage. I wouldn't mind seeing them send a TE on a seam route once or twice a game.
Reply/Quote
I can certainly agree with the TE part. I think everyone can, we've been desiring the Bengals to do that for years. To actually use the seams and so on more than just a very rare and occasional time with the tight end.

One formation I would like to see would be a two-back set with both Hill and Gio in the backfield. Both are pretty good pass blockers and can certainly go out and make catches. Not to mention you could run with either player, and throw in the fact that Dalton could do a read option where he keeps the ball himself.

I think that would add variety and a great deal of adversity to this offense. One that could confuse the defense and allow for some big gains.
Reply/Quote
How about more play-action?
Reply/Quote
I would say more press coverage on Wrs on defense. I agree with attacking more up the seams with TEs and play action fakes. Also would like to see Andy on roll outs more often as well.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
My favorite play is perfectly executing a shovel pass. More of those.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Also get Gio involved as a receiver more than just a dump off or safety valve.

I don't think he would be a pure slot receiver, but we could still get him downfield on more wheel routes out of the backfield or in limited situations out of the slot.  Especially on first downs when the defense is in a base scheme instead of a nickle package.

I agree, once Hill became the man last season, they seemed to forget about Gio.  He's a good receiver, utilize that.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
The foundation should be a potent running attack by Hill and complemented by Bernard. This should essentially give much more good opportunities for play action with Eifert running down the seem and Bernard catching out of the backfield.

Also have AJ Green go deep every opportunity he can. We have an elite WR that is tall and fast. In the end we need to play to our strengths which is AJ Green, Eifert, Hill and Bernard. I suppose that is half the offense which goes to show you we're pretty talented. Get the ball in these playmakers hands and out of you know who.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 04:30 PM)bearstronaut Wrote: My favorite play is perfectly executing a shovel pass.  More of those.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but the shovel pass is actually a very effective play.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 04:36 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: The foundation should be a potent running attack by Hill and complemented by Bernard. This should essentially give much more good opportunities for play action with Eifert running down the seem and Bernard catching out of the backfield.

Also have AJ Green go deep every opportunity he can. We have an elite WR that is tall and fast. In the end we need to play to our strengths which is AJ Green, Eifert, Hill and Bernard. I suppose that is half the offense which goes to show you we're pretty talented. Get the ball in these playmakers hands and out of you know who.

Yeah I agree that we should have Dalton throw the ball a lot more this sesason too.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 05:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but the shovel pass is actually a very effective play.

When it works, it's a thing of beauty.  When it doesn't, it looks like a really bad idea.   When to use it is almost more important than how well it's executed.  It needs an element of surprise or catching the right defense.  Kinda like the QB draw in that regard.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 04:36 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: The foundation should be a potent running attack by Hill and complemented by Bernard. This should essentially give much more good opportunities for play action with Eifert running down the seem and Bernard catching out of the backfield.

It'll be nice to have MLJ's high YPC back.

Easy to forget Dalton's 100+ passer rating when targeting him.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 05:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but the shovel pass is actually a very effective play.

No sarcasm, I'm being completely genuine.  And I think having Jones and Eifert back on the field will force the defenses to respect Dalton pulling the ball up as if to pass, and then Hill can catch them with their pants down.
Reply/Quote
Keeping the defense guessing is change enough (on offense) - and an improved run game with a stud O-line is going to take care of that, just fine.

But when it comes to time to pass, be sure to include throws to our TE's downfield.

Defensively, just as Fred said. Make sure your front 4 are getting pressure.

Oh, and not being predictable on offense - of course the improved run game helps that!
Reply/Quote
Use Gio like we used Rex during the Playoff Game.

Play more TE but Eifert was down with the 3rd play of the year, it was difficult.

Take a step up at linebackers. This is way our major weakness.
Reply/Quote