Poll: What do you do with Ryan Finley in 2020
#2 (Backup)
#3 (Carry 3 QBs)
Release or Practice Squad
Other
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to Do With Ryan Finley
I chose other because, well, you throw him in and give him a few games and then bench him. He didn't even have time to develop. Plus, we never took a look at Dolegala to be able to come to a stoudt decision on what to do with him. I don't think Finley is done, but if we tried to get rid of him and teams based his poor performance here on those games with a crappy OL, no AJ, etc then the kid is not getting a fair shake imo. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've seen enough.
Reply/Quote
I have a different idea: Keep Ryan Finley and let him get some snaps with the first team during the off-season and in training camp; not all the snaps of course but some. That way he’ll be able to adjust his game to first team standards. Let’s face the honest truth: Ryan Finley was unprepared to start because he never before played against a first team defense, even in practice.

Now if Ryan plays well and elevates his game with the first team then great; make him the backup quarterback again. He knows the playbook so that’s a plus — even though it’s a very limited playbook. If he doesn’t get better that’s another issue.

If Joe Burrow becomes the Bengals’ starting quarterback in 2020 an improved Ryan Finley might be an adequate backup but I have another idea but it’s too “outside the box” for the Front Office to bite: Sign an established veteran. I’m not talking just anyone, either. I want Eli Manning at the very least. Who is better than a Super Bowl winner to mentor the new starting quarterback?
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 08:30 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I have a different idea: Keep Ryan Finley and let him get some snaps with the first team during the off-season and in training camp; not all the snaps of course but some.  That way he’ll be able to adjust his game to first team standards.  Let’s face the honest truth: Ryan Finley was unprepared to start because he never before played against a first team defense, even in practice.

Now if Ryan plays well and elevates his game with the first team then great; make him the backup quarterback again.  He knows the playbook so that’s a plus — even though it’s a very limited playbook.  If he doesn’t get better that’s another issue.

If Joe Burrow becomes the Bengals’ starting quarterback in 2020 an improved Ryan Finley might be an adequate backup but I have another idea but it’s too “outside the box” for the Front Office to bite: Sign an established veteran.  I’m not talking just anyone, either.  I want Eli Manning at the very least.  Who is better than a Super Bowl winner to mentor the new starting quarterback?

Maybe John Kitna has some gas left? He would be a better mentor than Eli. I know, that's a ridiculous response and don't know why I went there, but some will.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 02:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Cut him. He’s terrible. Can’t believe we moved up to pick him.

I have a better idea, sell him to the Patriots, BB will need someone who can throw  quick passes like Brady. Finley might be his man. We get a pick in return, or even.. Brady in return.  :andy:
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 02:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: With a rookie QB starting, I'd rather see a veteran backup, at least for one season...someone who has been around, seen a lot and can give Burrow advice. A guy like Matt Moore, who Zac has worked with in the past, could be an option that makes sense.

I like Matt Moore, maybe 3 mil for a year as a backup and let Finley and Dolegala battle.  If one plays well enough to keep 3 so be it.  More likely, one makes the practice squad as insurance.  
Reply/Quote
Drop Finley.Keep Dolegala and give him a shot for the number two spot,while also picking up a capable veteran Quarterback.
Reply/Quote
If Andy was s gone you gotta get a veteran. I figure QB coaches teach mechanics and such, but nothing beats a guy who has been in there to talk to during practice and game time. Help him mentally in a tight game, or maybe be he’s crapping the bed that day and a guy who has been there can give him some advice and just an ear.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 02:10 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I kinda think this could make for some interesting conversation. I haven't seen it brought up much and I'm curious to hear what some think.

Just so we're clear, the premise of this thread hinges on the idea that we draft Joe Burrow. So for discussion's sake let's assume that to be true. We have drafted Joe Burrow, and he's our starter....

What would you like to see happen with Finley? Would you like him to be #2, do you want a vet brought in to backup, or do you have something cool in mind that maybe I don't even know about yet?

I'm of the opinion that a decent, but somewhat cheap veteran should be brought in. Not only to serve as a mentor, but also because I'm not sure Finley is a capable #2 just yet. And frankly, I'm not sure he will ever be. I need to see more.

The guys I'd target don't have to be world-beaters or the football equivalent of Yoda. Just players who have seen meaningful reps and PT, who can create some semblance of competition to push Burrow day-to-day, and someone he can bounce ideas off of. Also, a player that can potentially win you a spot-start or come in relief in a big game without you feeling totally f'd.

Some recent examples: Tyrod Taylor @ 5.5 mil, Ryan Fitzpatrick @ 3.3 mil, Blake Bortles @ 1.0 mil, Sam Bradford @ 5 mil...

So fwiw, my answer is to stash him on the practice squad and if he gets poached he gets poached.  

Poll question options at the top...

Voted cut or put on PS. Don't like Finley's arm. Think Dolegala has a higher upside in this aspect and would rather bring in a vet
backup to back Burrow up than a guy with a noodle arm like Finley who throws lots of picks or at least did when he did start.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 09:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Voted cut or put on PS. Don't like Finley's arm. Think Dolegala has a higher upside in this aspect and would rather bring in a vet
backup to back Burrow up than a guy with a noodle arm like Finley who throws lots of picks or at least did when he did start.

And don’t forget the fumbles.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 09:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And don’t forget the fumbles.

Yeah, cannot turn the ball over. All he shown was that he has a noodle arm and he turned the ball over in his 3 starts.

Not someone i have high hopes for and i liked the pick initially but i have no bias for any player if they don't play well.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2020, 09:48 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If Andy was s gone you gotta get a veteran. I figure QB coaches teach mechanics and such, but nothing beats a guy who has been in there to talk to during practice and game time. Help him mentally in a tight game, or maybe be he’s crapping the bed that day and a guy who has been there can give him some advice and just an ear.

Right

(01-06-2020, 09:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Voted cut or put on PS. Don't like Finley's arm. Think Dolegala has a higher upside in this aspect and would rather bring in a vet

I could put the challenge to Finley on arm strength. Unless he can get a new set of arms on Amazon during the off season I don't see a reason to keep him.
Reply/Quote
Dump him, draft buckshot calvert

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
Gotta get rid of Finley. I don't think he has the arm or accuracy to even be a backup QB. If you can't even complete 50% of your passes for at least 6 yards per attempt, you can't be a backup. That's Mendoza Line type numbers that he failed to reach. It also isn't like the PS is a target for him, because it's unlikely you can train him to have a significantly stronger and more accurate arm at this point.

1. Joe Burrow
2. Josh McCown/Matt Moore type veteran backup
3. Doloolologela

Brutal that the Bengals wasted a 2nd on a bad blocking TE, and a 4th on a QB with no arm in 2019.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Depends on if Dalton is back or not. If Andy is gone or traded then we need to sign a veteran QB (hopefully a good one) and he can compete for the backup sport, but I don't think we should carry 3 QB's.
Reply/Quote
Sign a veteran backup. Let Dolegala and Finley battle for the 3rd/PS spot.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2020, 06:42 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Depends on if Dalton is back or not. If Andy is gone or traded then we need to sign a veteran QB (hopefully a good one) and he can compete for the backup sport, but I don't think we should carry 3 QB's.

I'd say we need to try and trade Andy.

He's said he wants to start somewhere. I don't see him taking a whole lot of time to show burrow or anyone else how to take his spot quicker. 

I'd look for a guy who knows he's here to either manage games for the short term or (hopefully) ride out a few million to provide guidance from the bench.
Reply/Quote