Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with 11 picks
Most people say agree that we don't have room on the roster for 11 draft picks. So the question is "How do we get the best 5 to 7 players from 11 draft picks.

Some people say we should trade some of our picks away to move up and get better players, but I think that after about the first 100 players it is all random. I am sure there has been some mathematical analysis on this at some point, but I really don't see much more value in a 5th round pick than a sixth round pick. It just seems like random luck finding a good player that late in the draft. I also think that once you get past the first 25 players or so there is not a lot of difference between players #26 through #100.

So I think we should just keep all 11 picks because we know we are going to miss on some. More picks increases our chances of getting 5 to 7 good ones. In fact I would not mind if we traded back in the first round for another 3rd round pick.

BTW here is a draft pick value chart for you to use to see what kinds of trades might be possible. According to this we could get an extra pick in the first half of the third round for just dropping back 4 spots in the first round. But thta is the kind of trade that only happens when we see exactly what is available at #12.
Reply/Quote
No chart, Fred!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 08:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: No chart, Fred!

Ha ha, Truck! Hilarious

But he makes a point, wish we could trade all our late round picks to move up but it might not make a difference because
the Draft is such a crapshoot. Wouldn't mind trading back in the first either if McGlinchey/Nelson/Roquan/Edmunds are gone
and grab one of the top Centers all the while adding another pick.

Really the 2nd to 4th rounds are where it seems we find the diamonds.
Reply/Quote
They could do a number of things with that many picks; I'd like to see how free agency plays out first. If they don't address the O line in FA, I would be for trading down out of 12 and picking Price later in the round.
Reply/Quote
Let me help out Fred:

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Would like to see s trade to move up and get another pick in first four rounds.

Or instead of taking gambles in early rounds take them later on trench players and let them have a good old fashion competition to make the final cut.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 08:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ha ha, Truck! Hilarious

But he makes a point, wish we could trade all our late round picks to move up but it might not make a difference because
the Draft is such a crapshoot. Wouldn't mind trading back in the first either if McGlinchey/Nelson/Roquan/Edmunds are gone
and grab one of the top Centers all the while adding another pick.

Really the 2nd to 4th rounds are where it seems we find the diamonds.
Except just because you have seventh round picks, doesn't mean they're worth a whole lot in trade value.  There's a reason why teams get so many 7th round compensation picks, as opposed to earlier.  The draft is a crapshoot, but you're much more likely to hit on guys of value in the upper rounds.

(02-26-2018, 09:22 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: They could do a number of things with that many picks; I'd like to see how free agency plays out first. If they don't address the O line in FA, I would be for trading down out of 12 and picking Price later in the round.

Price was my early wish, partly because I'm a OSU homer, and I'd still love to get him and think he'd solidify our line.

I wish we could take James at 12 and still find a way to trade back into the first to get Price.
Reply/Quote
Sure, it takes a little thought and creativity, but I just found 12 fantastic players for my latest mock.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I’m ok with using more picks but at some point, it’s just utter guessing. You can map out the first and second, maybe a decent chunk of the third. But you’ve got to think after that, unless a team has a giant scouting department, that it’s jusy reading players bios without watching much tape.

We’ve got a small scouting department. I’d be surprised if there are several players they’ve spent a ton of time on outside the first couple rounds.

So, I’m ok bundling and trading, too. Either way.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 11:01 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Except just because you have seventh round picks, doesn't mean they're worth a whole lot in trade value.  There's a reason why teams get so many 7th round compensation picks, as opposed to earlier.  The draft is a crapshoot, but you're much more likely to hit on guys of value in the upper rounds.

Price was my early wish, partly because I'm a OSU homer, and I'd still love to get him and think he'd solidify our line.

I wish we could take James at 12 and still find a way to trade back into the first to get Price.

The good thing about those 7th round picks is there are always a handful of UDFA that all teams covet and the player then has the control.  With the draft selection, the team owns the rights.

I think Fej can develop in to a starter and as a special teams ace, he was a steal in the 7th round.  
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 10:37 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Would like to see s trade to move up and get another pick in first four rounds.

Or instead of taking gambles in early rounds take them later on trench players and let them have a good old fashion competition to make the final cut.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2018, 11:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure, it takes a little thought and creativity, but I just found 12 fantastic players for my latest mock.

Problem is, the other 31 teams probably found them as well.....
Reply/Quote
I feel the Bengals are 3-5 starters away from being a true contender.
Depending on how the Bengals behave in FA, the Bengals should look for starting-caliber players within the first four rounds.
If the Bengals can bring in at least a solid starter or two in FA, it would help free up the draft.
Rounds 5-7 should be filled with depth players or K to compete with Bullock (P too if Huber leaves).
I'd be fine with the Bengals trading away all three of their late 7th rounders to help move around on Day 3 as they see fit.
No way do all 11 picks actually make the roster. Probably 7-8 at most.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 12:13 AM)Benton Wrote: I’m ok with using more picks but at some point, it’s just utter guessing. You can map out the first and second, maybe a decent chunk of the third. But you’ve got to think after that, unless a team has a giant scouting department, that it’s jusy reading players bios without watching much tape.

We’ve got a small scouting department. I’d be surprised if there are several players they’ve spent a ton of time on outside the first couple rounds.

So, we have like 10-15 coaches and the scouting staff of about 5 or so.  These guys have nothing to do but scout right now.  How many players do you think you could do in one day, watching tape and so on.  I know we have a small staff but in today's world I think that they can look at most every player they need to.
Reply/Quote
I would say either draft 11 players... Or bundle a few to move back up on day 2 or early day 3.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 12:13 AM)Benton Wrote: I’m ok with using more picks but at some point, it’s just utter guessing. You can map out the first and second, maybe a decent chunk of the third. But you’ve got to think after that, unless a team has a giant scouting department, that it’s jusy reading players bios without watching much tape.

usually our hits in round 4 are due to players they have graded higher sliding down.
Reply/Quote
We could potentially get the greatest draft picks ever ,but unfortunately we still have the captain of the Carnival cruise ship with a crew taken hostage from Mongolian fishing trawler running things .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 12:01 PM)spazz70 Wrote: So, we have like 10-15 coaches and the scouting staff of about 5 or so.  These guys have nothing to do but scout right now.  How many players do you think you could do in one day, watching tape and so on.  I know we have a small staff but in today's world I think that they can look at most every player they need to.

I hope technology plays a role but the tech should be getting better and our drafts aren’t (it’s been a few years since we had a stellar draft... or one with a few quality starters).

But just number wise, you’re looking at 3000+ eligible for the draft. If 10 scours/coaches turn their attention to it, that’s a few hours a day if you’re trying to skim the surface. Which I’m guessing we try to identify guys likely to be where we pick and see which ones fit.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 04:21 PM)Benton Wrote: I hope technology plays a role but the tech should be getting better and our drafts aren’t (it’s been a few years since we had a stellar draft... or one with a few quality starters).

But just number wise, you’re looking at 3000+ eligible for the draft. If 10 scours/coaches turn their attention to it, that’s a few hours a day if you’re trying to skim the surface. Which I’m guessing we try to  identify guys likely to be where we pick and see which ones fit.

Well maybe they should come to the board and do some scouting because I see some pretty extensive scouting done by our board members and that is not even their job.  These coaches/scouts should be doing pretty much nothing but looking at film and players 24 hours a day right now.  
Reply/Quote
Trade everything away for 4th rounders. That seems to be the money round for this team.
Reply/Quote