Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
What was going on the last time the Bengals were in the AFC Championship
(01-26-2022, 03:07 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I thought this might be kind of fun to look back at.

The Bengals played the Bills on January 8th 1989.

From Billboard Hot 100 number ones of 1989 on January 7th the top song was "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison.

The number 1 movie January 8th 1989 was Rain Man.

The top 5 TV shows were The Cosby Show, Roseanne, Cheers, A Different World, America's Funniest Home Videos (rest in peace Bob Saget). Number 6 was The Golden Girls, so shout out to Betty White may she also rest in peace.

In 1989 we didn't have widespread access to the Internet.  We paid bills in person or by writing and mailing checks instead of online payments.  We did our shopping in physical stores and malls were still popular. 

If you wanted to watch a fairly recent movie at home you drove to the store and rented it on VHS and had to return it before late fees. Side note: In my family this was called pizza night where we would all go to rent a movie (and argue about what to rent) and eat pizza on a Friday as part of an end of week reward. You could also record a limited amount of TV on your home VHS but heaven forbid you accidentally record over one of the above named shows before everyone else got to watch it.  MTV was still known for broadcasting music videos. 

Anyway I just though it was kind of fun to look back at 1989 when the Bengals were last in the AFC Championship.  I'm sure some of you can add a few more snapshots from then.  I wanted to also include pictures of what was popular to wear then but got too lazy to look up the pictures.

Awesome thread George. Great times, I was only 7 but I remember those times well and go back to those times often 
wishing I was older at the time to really take those times in. Instead I just watch a lot of 80's shows like Cheers and the
good old movies of the time which I think might of been the best decade of entertainment movie wise.

Music was great at times and weird as hell at times as was the fashion lol
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 04:58 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Rumor is one of the most scratched or warbly points in VHS rentals at the time was from rentals of Fast Times at Ridgemont High during the swimming pool scene due to pausing and playing back, even though Fast Times was from 1982 Tongue

[Image: 2gdQZeo.gif]

WOOHOO Pheobe Cates! What a Babe!!!Pervert
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 04:06 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Wow
I was about 6 months away from graduating from High School in Jan 1989.
I’m old!

I was in the Army stationed in Hanau Germany.

(01-26-2022, 04:20 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: and the Berlin Wall was still standing (until late that year). 

That only happened because I was stationed in Hanau Germany.  Ninja

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 07:40 PM)need2mellowout Wrote:   Watched the SB on my Sony 19 inch TV.

19 inches was HUGE then. 

Reply/Quote
I thought this thread was gonna be about how the league was gonna try to outlaw the no huddle two hours before game time, but Bob Trumpy intervened by telling Sam Wyche the night before.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Grumpy old man alert!!

That list is much better than the revised one you're going to have to make after Sunday
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 08:06 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: 19 inches was HUGE then. 

For most mortals, 19 inches is still huge Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 08:15 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: For most mortals, 19 inches is still huge Mellow

In the famous words from Snoop: Pump, pump, pump, pump, pump, pump. Pump, pump. Pump, pump 

LOL

Reply/Quote
I wasn't even born til Feb '92.

Tongue

Damn I turn 30 in 8 days....
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 08:34 PM)magikod Wrote: I wasn't even born til Feb '92.

Tongue

Damn I turn 30 in 8 days....

Your still a kid.

[Image: R.590b8adf8e8b90ad523b3d41602aba1c?rik=a...ImgRaw&r=0]

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 08:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your still a kid.

[Image: R.590b8adf8e8b90ad523b3d41602aba1c?rik=a...ImgRaw&r=0]

I wish! haha  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 06:40 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Oh yeah, I was explaining this to my kids the other day about requesting a non-smoking section.

I was fondly remembering the bygone days of cigarette lighters in vehicles this morning. I lost my lighter, and had no answer for it. I can sure as hell charge 4 phones at once in my truck though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I was 10 years old living in Logan Ohio, living in house in the woods that nearly everybody who ever set foot into it considered it a haunted house. Made for a very interesting childhood. Sadly, I didn't find my love for football until middle school which came during the dreaded 90s for the Bengals. Jeff Blake, Carl Pickens, Darnay Scott, Dan Wilkinson, Ki-Jana Carter. ..
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 08:44 PM)magikod Wrote: I wish! haha  Rock On

In the immortal words of my old man... It's right below in my sig.. LOL
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 09:18 PM)grampahol Wrote: In the immortal words of my old man... It's right below in my sig.. LOL

Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 08:55 PM)jason Wrote: I was fondly remembering the bygone days of cigarette lighters in vehicles this morning. I lost my lighter, and had no answer for it. I can sure as hell charge 4 phones at once in my truck though.

Last time that happened to me I found a cop and threatened him. Within 3 seconds, I was smoking. LOL

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 07:40 PM)need2mellowout Wrote: Mostly everyone had beepers and you'd have secret codes to communicate.  Had a Radio Shack TRS-80 that you'd use a 5.25″ floppy disk to boot up the operating system then you had to use another floppy for data.

October 1988 I (26) met this chick (22) through my cousin, while doing a 4 day vacation in Miami.  We got to talk a lot while hanging out.  On the last night it was just us and went to movie and dinner.  While dropping me off I told her my feelings and she drove me to the airport the next day.  I was heading back to NJ and told her to visit me.  She dropped me off on a Tuesday, bought a ticket at the airport and she flew in on a Friday.  By Saturday, we decided to get married.  We're going on 34 years.

Since we had family in Miami I wanted to go to the 1989 Super Bowl.  However, in 1989 the Miami riot was going on just before (maybe during too) and she didn't want to go.  Still think about being able to experience a Bengal's Super Bowl, because ticket prices now are ridiculous.  Watched the SB on my Sony 19 inch TV.

That is one awesome story bro. Rock On
Reply/Quote
Things I remember from the time Bengals were last in the AFC Championship game:

I was in the 82nd ABN. 6 out of every 18 weeks you had to be on 2 hour or if you were special 30 minute recall. You went anywhere away from a land line you has 2 choices. Get one of those cutting edge pagers or call the unit from a pay phone every 15 minutes to make sure there was no alert.

Not going anywhere on Friday Nights because you'd miss Miami Vice

Going to the club and jamming to Milli Vanilli

Ordering Dominos on the phone and hoping they took more than 30 minutes

Limiting Long Distance calls and calling "collect" when you got home safely from a trip and the family denying the charges because that meant you were safe
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 08:55 PM)jason Wrote: I was fondly remembering the bygone days of cigarette lighters in vehicles this morning. I lost my lighter, and had no answer for it. I can sure as hell charge 4 phones at once in my truck though.

At some point, the technical term for car lighters became "power point".  
Reply/Quote
^^^^^^
And cars don't even have ashtrays built in anymore. Remember the old ones, you kind of popped them out, and emptied them. Or my dad had one of those bean bag ones that sat on the engine cover of his van.
Reply/Quote