Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
What was going on the last time the Bengals were in the AFC Championship
I wasn't allowed to legally drink the last time they were in an AFC Championship game and I was also young enough that I wouldn't have wanted to drink. Keep it coming with the old guy memories, fellow posters. You make me feel youngish for being in my 40s. Hilarious
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What really hit me last night is the difference in access to information and engagement with other fans. Living so far from Cincinnati, the last time the Bengals got this deep into the playoffs, about the only way I could absorb information about them was waiting for SportsCenter to come on ESPN or reading the "USA Today". Furthermore, I had no other fans to interact with. Now, I have NFL Network on the TV, NFL Radio in the car, and various forms of social media to access articles, videos, and so many other fans. It's the kind of thing that most other fans likely take for granted at this point. I hope that we can eventually do the same.
Reply/Quote
Seems like a better time back then.
Reply/Quote
A young Ensign, ready to take on the world!! Lol
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 05:03 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: As soon as I read that in George's post, the chorus got stuck in my head LOL

That was still 5 months before I was born! lol thus, I cannot fondly comment on that time...

… but renting movies was awesome, loved when my dad would go and get something for me to watch and something for the family (or something for my parents specifically). Still remember renting "Terror in New York City," and, "Trapped in the Sky," (both Thunderbirds episodes, on VHS) in Spring 1997 from Rogers Video (Rogers is Canada's biggest telecommunications company, like if Verizon, DirecTV and old-school AOL were all in one) and being fascinated with TiNYC, as I had never seen it before and absolutely terrified of TitS, as it brought me back to the horror of the Hood, who I had nightmares of until I turned about 10 years old lol.

Also snagged some (now VERY expensive) Sega Genesis and Saturn games , when the consoles were discontinued Big Grin (and at Blockbuster too, when there was one close by).
Damn bud, I have underwear older than you!   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 06:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Easier, yes. Better? Debatable.

I think there's something to be said for the simple way we used to live. We appreciated things more...often because we had to work harder for it. Communicating was more personal, as phone calls and hand written letters were the only option other than face to face.

I think people are so afraid to be "that guy" guilty of the mortal sin of nostalgia that we don't realize that maybe it's not nostalgia. Maybe things really were better without smart phones, social media and constant distractions.

Maybe the adventure of going out to Blockbuster was better than sitting on your arse scrolling through Netflix.

Communicating face to face was better than talking on the phone because it was more "personal".

Listening to the radio was better than watching TV because you had to use your imagination.

But reading a book was better than listening to the radio because you had to use your imagination even more.

But handing down stories through oral tradition was better than writing them down because it was more "personal".
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 12:25 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Damn bud, I have underwear older than you!   Hilarious

we gonna have to start a go fund me?
Reply/Quote
I was born in 1989. This is the first time in my life the Bengals have been successful in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Things I remember from the time Bengals were last in the AFC Championship game:

I was in the 82nd ABN. 6 out of every 18 weeks you had to be on 2 hour or if you were special 30 minute recall. You went anywhere away from a land line you has 2 choices. Get one of those cutting edge pagers or call the unit from a pay phone every 15 minutes to make sure there was no alert.

Not going anywhere on Friday Nights because you'd miss Miami Vice

Going to the club and jamming to Milli Vanilli

Ordering Dominos on the phone and hoping they took more than 30 minutes

Limiting Long Distance calls and calling "collect" when you got home safely from a trip and the family denying the charges because that meant you were safe

Milli Vanilli LMAO!!! Hilarious
Reply/Quote
24 not married and partying like a Rock Star and paying for it now! LOL
Reply/Quote
You guys are making feel like an infant and I'm turning 32 next week.... (also, here's to hoping the Bengals give me an early birthday gift for me to share with you all)
Reply/Quote
I was in boot camp in '82, in the jungles of Honduras in '89 and in Desert Storm in '91. This is the first time I've ever seen a playoff win live (and in person for the Raiders game) and it sure is f'n awesome!!! Not ready for it to end yet.
Reply/Quote
I was nine.  I knew of the Bengals but didn't really get on board until the 89' Superbowl game at my Uncle's house.  It was the greatest day ever (except for the loss).  First time seeing Monty Python & The Holy Grail and a Bengals Superbowl the same day.  lol
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 04:36 PM)STR1PES Wrote: I was nine.  I knew of the Bengals but didn't really get on board until the 89' Superbowl game at my Uncle's house.  It was the greatest day ever (except for the loss).  First time seeing Monty Python & The Holy Grail and a Bengals Superbowl the same day.  Finished out the day watching Karate kid for first time too.  lol

What does it feel like to peak at 9?  

Kidding, of course.  The peak is still a little over 2 weeks away Smirk
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 05:02 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: What does it feel like to peak at 9?  

That is quite a monumental day in someone's life no doubt lol
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 05:02 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: What does it feel like to peak at 9?  

Sad.  Really sad.  ?

My daughter is 10.  If we make superbowl you better bet Monty Python getting ran before the game.
Reply/Quote
These guys are actually good musicians.

Old friends/bandmates who got together and decided to do some throwback 80s music.

Check it out. "1989"

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 09:53 PM)STR1PES Wrote: Sad.  Really sad.  ?

My daughter is 10.  If we make superbowl you better bet Monty Python getting ran before the game.

Nah, we lost when you watched Holy Grail.  Maybe change things up and watch Life of Brian or The Meaning of Life.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 01:41 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: we gonna have to start a go fund me?

Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
"Straight Outta Compton" was released in 1988.
Reply/Quote