Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What we learned....Buffalo edition
1.) This team has maybe one WR that can generate separation that is not named AJ Green....Tyler Boyd. The rest are not capable of drawing extra coverage and were shut down by a decent Bill's secondary.

2.) This team can't run block no matter how many lineman you put on the field. They had something ridiculous like one receiver go out (Lafell) and they still only got an average of 1 yard out of that formation. The offensive line is neither mobile for a zone blocking scheme nor powerful for straight up power formations.

3.) The defensive line and linebackers are pathetically weak at the point of attack, and that includes Atkins. They got manhandled again today. Only Burfict showed some pursuit. They can't shed blockers if their lives depended on it.

4.) They have lost their fan base, likely for a while. I was floored to watch people filing out with 2 minutes left and the Bengals had the ball, down 7. They didn't even want to bother to stay and see the ending. I heard lots of jokes, and comments about the pathetic nature of their effort as we walked to our car.

Me? I will probably just start looking more at the draft and scouting more players now. This team, and their coaching staff, have no heart and they are painful to watch.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We left at the 5:00+ mark, even though they were down by just four. We were holding out hope, but when they couldn't convert on 3rd down, I couldn't take watching one more punt. I told my buddy "Well, we've seen all of the scoring they're gonna do, so we might as well get out of here." That place was emptying like there was a fire drill. No one had faith they'd pull it out. For good reason, it turns out.

Listened to the last few minutes on the car radio, hoping they'd punish us for leaving early by having some miraculous comeback. Yeah, right.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 08:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: 1.)  This team has maybe one WR that can generate separation that is not named AJ Green....Tyler Boyd.  The rest are not capable of drawing extra coverage and were shut down by a decent Bill's secondary.  

2.) This team can't run block no matter how many lineman you put on the field.  They had something ridiculous like one receiver go out (Lafell) and they still only got an average of 1 yard out of that formation.  The offensive line is neither mobile for a zone blocking scheme nor powerful for straight up power formations.

3.) The defensive line and linebackers are pathetically weak at the point of attack, and that includes Atkins.  They got manhandled again today.  Only Burfict showed some pursuit.  They can't shed blockers if their lives depended on it.  

4.) They have lost their fan base, likely for a while.  I was floored to watch people filing out with 2 minutes left and the Bengals had the ball, down 7.  They didn't even want to bother to stay and see the ending.  I heard lots of jokes, and comments about the pathetic nature of their effort as we walked to our car.  

Me?  I will probably just start looking more at the draft and scouting more players now.  This team, and their coaching staff, have no heart and they are painful to watch.

1) Yeah, we need a burner at WR. I had high hopes for Mario Alford, but that hasn't worked out so far. 

2) We need an overhaul and Whit needs to move to RT. Perhaps Fischer or Ced can cut it on the left side.

3) IDK what has happened to Geno. The play before Buf kicked their long FG, he went to the ground and did not even try to get up. I did like what I saw out of MJ today.

4) Well to be honest this fanbase haven't tripped over each other to get tickets in quite some time.

What I learned:

A) Don't think Carlos will get that sack record that he said he would get this off-season

B) Carlos Dansby is this year's AJ Hawk

C) Our LS is the man. Could hardly walk, but went out there anyway

D) That Safety (Smith) could be a keeper

E) Dennard is a very physical CB

F) Dre has earned a contract
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 08:19 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: 1.)  This team has maybe one WR that can generate separation that is not named AJ Green....Tyler Boyd.  The rest are not capable of drawing extra coverage and were shut down by a decent Bill's secondary.  

2.) This team can't run block no matter how many lineman you put on the field.  They had something ridiculous like one receiver go out (Lafell) and they still only got an average of 1 yard out of that formation.  The offensive line is neither mobile for a zone blocking scheme nor powerful for straight up power formations.

3.) The defensive line and linebackers are pathetically weak at the point of attack, and that includes Atkins.  They got manhandled again today.  Only Burfict showed some pursuit.  They can't shed blockers if their lives depended on it.  

4.) They have lost their fan base, likely for a while.  I was floored to watch people filing out with 2 minutes left and the Bengals had the ball, down 7.  They didn't even want to bother to stay and see the ending.  I heard lots of jokes, and comments about the pathetic nature of their effort as we walked to our car.  

Me?  I will probably just start looking more at the draft and scouting more players now.  This team, and their coaching staff, have no heart and they are painful to watch.

I'm right there with ya.  It really is sad, but all we can do is look towards the future.  Of course that future will probably still feature Giggles and his marry band of misfits so.....yeah.
Reply/Quote
Sad 
This team needs young players to find their niche and quickly. 
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 08:51 PM)JumboTron Wrote: I'm right there with ya.  It really is sad, but all we can do is look towards the future.  Of course that future will probably still feature Giggles and his marry band of misfits so.....yeah.

I walked out of that stadium with my head down, my usual sarcasm after a loss gone.  As I helped my dad, at 84, down the steps outside the stadium ("Steve, I've got it...you don't have to keep your arm under mine... I know, Dad, you're holding me up, OK?") a part of me felt really sad.  That this will require a major rebuild, and it will be a long time until they could have a real shot at a Championship.  

I so wanted to experience that with my dad.  He's one tough SOB.  But, at his age, you just don't know.  With the Cubs winning a World Series, the Cavs winning the NBA, I thought maybe it was our turn.  

I was wrong.  
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 10:51 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I walked out of that stadium with my head down, my usual sarcasm after a loss gone.  As I helped my dad, at 84, down the steps outside the stadium ("Steve, I've got it...you don't have to keep your arm under mine... I know, Dad, you're holding me up, OK?") a part of me felt really sad.  That this will require a major rebuild, and it will be a long time until they could have a real shot at a Championship.  

I so wanted to experience that with my dad.  He's one tough SOB.  But, at his age, you just don't know.  With the Cubs winning a World Series, the Cavs winning the NBA, I thought maybe it was our turn.  

I was wrong.  

2015 and 2016 class could still turn out pretty well. All it would take is a 2017 draft with an impact rookie or two and a couple decent FAs and we're right back in the mix as one of the best teams in the league as far as talent is concerned imo.

We definitely need some coaching changes though.
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 10:51 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I walked out of that stadium with my head down, my usual sarcasm after a loss gone.  As I helped my dad, at 84, down the steps outside the stadium ("Steve, I've got it...you don't have to keep your arm under mine... I know, Dad, you're holding me up, OK?") a part of me felt really sad.  That this will require a major rebuild, and it will be a long time until they could have a real shot at a Championship.  

I was wrong.  

The Cubs won the World Series because they replaced their crap GM and crap Manager with two of the top names in the business, and I know little about the Cavs but they sure do seem to have the best player in the NBA to help them along.  The point is, neither of those teams broke the championship droughts due to hope or wishing; they made big moves that paid off.

The Bengals have to follow suit and MAKE it their turn...I'm not holding my breath.  Life ain't fair.
Reply/Quote
Nick Vigil was in the game for a few plays early in the game when Burfict stepped out for a few plays.

I was really impressed with him. In a run play, he took on the FB head on and nearly got past him to make the tackle. But even still, he recovered to make the tackle 15 yards down the field.

I hope he gets more time soon.

Derron Smith also had a good day.

Dennard as well.

I think it's young'un time.

Fisher Price package 2.0
Reply/Quote
I'm going to pound the pulpit one more time about the offensive line: It doesn't matter who plays. It's the scheme and the coaching. A line coach from the early 1990s doesn't have a clue how to block in the 21st century because, believe me, the technique has changed drastically.

Why?

Because modern defensive linemen are big and fast and today's linebackers are faster than the running backs of the 1990s. What was used way back when will not work now. It doesn't matter who Marvin Lewis starts. They are going to get owned.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:47 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I'm going to pound the pulpit one more time about the offensive line:  It doesn't matter who plays.  It's the scheme and the coaching.  A line coach from the early 1990s doesn't have a clue how to block in the 21st century because, believe me, the technique has changed drastically.

Why?

Because modern defensive linemen are big and fast and today's linebackers are faster than the running backs of the 1990s.  What was used way back when will not work now.  It doesn't matter who Marvin Lewis starts.  They are going to get owned.

Appreciate that there is a consensus starting to form around the need for Alexander to go. I was hesitant to get on that train but it is becoming glaringly obvious.
Reply/Quote
Clock management/ o line / kicker - 3 of my biggest concerns. 1/3 because of Marvin. I want him gone just as much as the next guy but our horrid execution was the reason we lost.

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 08:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1) Yeah, we need a burner at WR. I had high hopes for Mario Alford, but that hasn't worked out so far. 

2) We need an overhaul and Whit needs to move to RT. Perhaps Fischer or Ced can cut it on the left side.

3) IDK what has happened to Geno. The play before Buf kicked their long FG, he went to the ground and did not even try to get up. I did like what I saw out of MJ today.

4) Well to be honest this fanbase haven't tripped over each other to get tickets in quite some time.

What I learned:

A) Don't think Carlos will get that sack record that he said he would get this off-season

I agree with all of this, especially the last 3 points.  Dennard needs to get some reps, and with Dre possibly missing time, he just may.  I was opposed to re-signing Dre up to this point, but have changed my mind.  There aren't enough good players on this D to let him walk.  

If Smith gets some PT late in the year and continues to show promise, I wouldn't be opposed to them moving Williams to linebacker, maybe SLB.  
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2016, 08:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 1) Yeah, we need a burner at WR. I had high hopes for Mario Alford, but that hasn't worked out so far. 

What I learned:

Spot on... I don't agree with all the hate Dennard and Dre have gotten, as for Smith, he needs to be in there more.  2 weeks in a row that DKP has made absolute highlight reel picks.  If Smith plays more he takes the one he tried to jump to the house.
Reply/Quote

I was wrong.  

That's sad brother, hopefully next year with a new coach we atleast get a playoff win
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 01:19 AM)samhain Wrote: I agree with all of this, especially the last 3 points.  Dennard needs to get some reps, and with Dre possibly missing time, he just may.  I was opposed to re-signing Dre up to this point, but have changed my mind.  There aren't enough good players on this D to let him walk.  

If Smith gets some PT late in the year and continues to show promise, I wouldn't be opposed to them moving Williams to linebacker, maybe SLB.  
Yep.... Tired of them servicing washed up un-athletic vets at SLB.  
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2016, 12:47 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I'm going to pound the pulpit one more time about the offensive line:  It doesn't matter who plays.  It's the scheme and the coaching.  A line coach from the early 1990s doesn't have a clue how to block in the 21st century because, believe me, the technique has changed drastically.

Why?

Because modern defensive linemen are big and fast and today's linebackers are faster than the running backs of the 1990s.  What was used way back when will not work now.  It doesn't matter who Marvin Lewis starts.  They are going to get owned.
PA teaches the line to step back in pass protection-seems to me that collapses the pocket, which aids the defense. Is PA collecting checks from our opponents ? Sick
Reply/Quote

Points 2 and 3 will never change as long as Chip Morton is the strength coach.
Reply/Quote
What we learned is that once we thought that this team was going to head into the 2017 Draft with no big areas of need, now we know that they have many needs.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Well, what I learned (rather confirmed) is that this offense is one of the worst in the league if AJ Green isn't on the field.
Reply/Quote