Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will Andy Dalton's next contract look like?
(04-16-2019, 09:13 AM)Au165 Wrote: Brady's wife is worth $400 million, let's not act like he is making some great sacrifice.

Based on current QB contract inflation he is looking at something around $20-$21 million a year. While the number sounds high it will again put him somewhere in the 14th-18th highest paid QB range when it's all said and done. 

I don't know how these dudes live...  But if I made 20 mil just 1 year 1 time id be set for life...   I don't see how they need bigger and bigger contracts..  Until its basically them just chest thumping about the size of their contract compared to others.  only getting 21 mil a year wont make it hard to put food in the kids mouths lol

Now I don't know if there is a difference in what daltons contract would be if we extend him vs the open market.
(just like I don't think any other team would have handed Wilson that contract)

Even if Brady was Single  and kept taking lesser deals hes set for life.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 02:02 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Even if Brady was Single  and kept taking lesser deals hes set for life.

Yea, but no one else does that for good reason. I was simply pointing out the reason he does it is because he is set for life with his wife's money. If you compare every NFL QB and point out only one guy does it, it is good to also note what else makes him significantly different in terms of money. I know this is all aside from the topic at hand but this Brady thing is a pet peeve of mine. He is already the greatest QB ever we don't have to try to falsely build up his legend. 
Reply/Quote
Andy's current deal is very cap and team friendly, and he plows a lot of that money right back into the community with the charitable work he and his wife do. I assume a future deal will wind up similarly cap and team friendly - the issue is will the team actually use the cap space it allows.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It will all come down to the endorsement of Zac - does he think he can win with Dalton or not?
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
What will his contract look like?

A stack of papers with a lot of writing on them.

I know these things.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 02:02 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't know how these dudes live...  But if I made 20 mil just 1 year 1 time id be set for life...   I don't see how they need bigger and bigger contracts..  Until its basically them just chest thumping about the size of their contract compared to others.  only getting 21 mil a year wont make it hard to put food in the kids mouths lol

Now I don't know if there is a difference in what daltons contract would be if we extend him vs the open market.
(just like I don't think any other team would have handed Wilson that contract)

Even if Brady was Single  and kept taking lesser deals hes set for life.

I'd like to find out for myself, how to live on only 20 mil..... Ninja
Reply/Quote
If he has a good year this season, stays healthy and Taylor buys in to him I could see 4 years $100/mil and don’t think that’s a bad deal looking at the rest of the QB deals and considering how quickly the cap is rising
Reply/Quote
Hard to say. The qb market could be totally different next year. We got good value out of his latest contract and i would assume the bengals fo would try something similar or move on. Unless .... he wins big this year.

Dalton was playing pretty well last year before he got injured, especially considering how bad our line was.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 04:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'd like to find out for myself, how to live on only 20 mil..... Ninja

I gotta assume its a hard life...
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 09:45 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Obviously, none of us are under the illusion that Andy is going to command $30M/per, especially from the Bengals.  However, I guess my point here is that in all likelihood, Andy will get an extension from team, rather than dismissed and replaced by a draft pick.  If I had to guess, I'd say they will probably offer him something just outside of top 10 money.

Kirk Cousins got 28M/yr fully guaranteed. And Andy's a much more accomplished QB than Cousins is. While it sounds ludicrous to think that Andy's going to get 30, in this NFL...you never know.

As far as what Dalton's next contract will look like, I'm gonna say it'll be several pages, all with team letterhead at the top, 8.5X11 inch paper, likely printed in black ink.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 05:21 PM)Ravage Wrote: Kirk Cousins got 28M/yr fully guaranteed. And Andy's a much more accomplished QB than Cousins is.

Cousins was playing a lot better than Dalton when he got that contract.

Over the 3 seasons prior to going to the Vikings ('15-'17) Cousins was the 6th highest rated QB (97.5) in the league and 4th in passing yards (13,176).
Reply/Quote
Who knew McDonalds required a contract.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 05:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cousins was playing a lot better than Dalton when he got that contract.

Over the 3 seasons prior to going to the Vikings ('15-'17) Cousins was the 6th highest rated QB (97.5) in the league and 4th in passing yards (13,176).

Yeah, I use these weird forgotten about stats to evaluate a QB...stats no one's ever heard of...

You know, Win-loss record: 68-50-2 Dalton (56.66%)/ 34-37-2 Cousins (46.5%) ,4th Quarter comebacks: 20 Dalton/9 Cousins, Game winning drives: 24 Dalton/12 Cousins, taking a team to the playoffs: 4 (5 including 2015) Dalton/2 (including 1 as backup QB) Cousins.

You cite Cousin's QB rating and neglect that his best year (2015) Dalton had a better QB rating than Cousins (106.2/101.6) and in the following two seasons while Cousins graded out better in QB Rating, the gap isn't nearly as big as you make it out to be: 97.2 Cousins/91.8 Dalton in '16, 93.9 Cousins/86.6 Dalton in '17. 

And 2016? Cousins was throwing to DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Vernon Davis, and Jordan Reed (who went to the Pro Bowl). Meanwhile, Andy had AJ for 10 games, Brandon Lafell, half a season (2 starts) from Eifert, Kroft and a rookie Boyd. That's a massive difference in talent to throw to between the two teams.

Cousins is a solid QB who's never won more than 9 games in a season during his career. He stepped into a starting role on the NFC runners-up as a supposed upgrade and led them to a 8-7-1 record. You can blame early struggles on the ineptitude of the Redskins if you want. However in an ineptitude battle between Washington's and Cincinnati's front offices and coaches...it's neck and neck. Cousins is like Matt Stafford, he can put up numbers, but the stat that matters most (W's) he struggles with.

If you want to think Cousins is that much better than Dalton, that's fine. I don't think either are upper-echelon QB's, but neither are bottom of the NFL either. I'd place them in about the same area if I were ranking starting QB's in the NFL. Hence why I cited Cousins' stupid contract as he's a good but not great NFL QB that conned the Vikings into 84 mil over 3 years fully guaranteed. The main difference I see is that one finds ways to win, the other finds ways to pad his stats. Is it likely Dalton'll get a contract similar to Cousins'? No, but I'd argue that age will be the key factor in that as Dalton'll be 33 when he hits free agency whereas Cousins was 29.
Reply/Quote
I love history and it's time for a lesson.

Going back in time to to 1966, San Francisco 49ers star quarterback John Brodie received a contract pitch from the Houston Oilers: “We can set things up so that if you want to, all you’ll ever have to do is play golf and drink beer and gamble,” Oilers general manager Don Klosterman told him, according to the book America’s Game.

A better deal has never been made, well not until the quarterback booming salaries of today.

QB's accounted for the 14 largest salary cap hits in 2018.

Just seven years earlier in 2011, there were six QBs in the top 14.

Last year, Case Keenum had the same cap hit in 2018 as Houston defensive end J.J. Watt.

Really, it was the Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers that kick started it. The Grand Canyon couldn't fit his ego.

He doesn't care if the team is good, as long as he gets paid and gets to be "king for the day."

It's actually starting to cause bad tensions in some locker room's.

The problem with teams committing so much of their cap space to quarterbacks or even the top 2 players is that it is clearly an unsuccessful strategy.

None of the five highest-paid quarterbacks in 2018 by average salary Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Kirk Cousins, Garoppolo, and Matthew Stafford made the playoffs.

I know that it's overly simplistic to say that paying a quarterback a lot of money prohibits a team from being successful.

I know it's even a small sample size, but it’s very bad for team-building and devastating for a franchise if your highly paid quarterback doesn’t play like a superstar.

The problem is simple: The more you give to a quarterback, the less you give to everyone else.

Quarterbacks have been given huge extensions for years, but it turns out going all in on a cap-eating quarterback is one of the riskiest propositions in the sport.

Rising league revenues have pushed the salary cap from $123 million in 2013 to $177 million last year, giving teams more freedom.

There were also the draft changes, that lowered the cost of draft picks.

These changes have created unprecedented bargains.

Like with Kansas City’s Patrick Mahomes II is earning $3.7 million this year, making him the 400th-highest-paid player in the league.

There have been very bad consequences with these salary fluctuations is that NFL teams dump all but the top veterans once their rookie contracts are up. (This has had the added effect of lowering the average age of NFL players.)

Just as there are more bargains to be found in the draft, there is also more money to spend, and a salary floor that requires teams to spend it.

A lot of this money has gone to quarterbacks, and it has gone to their heads in some cases, which has created a disjointed, stunningly bad market for the position.

The real answer is that owners need to realize that they have other positions too.

Teams act out of fear with quarterbacks (does anyone want to have a Carson Palmer situation) and the truth is you cannot pay a middling starter like an elite guy.

Most of these quarterbacks just want to become "king for a day."

Carr was the highest paid for 15 minutes, then Stafford, then Ryan, then Rodgers, then Russell.

The reason we know that fear of the unknown is still motivating decision-making in NFL front offices is clear: No team in recent memory has willingly given up on a healthy starting quarterback without spending a high draft pick on the position or bringing in a high-priced replacement.

It is not news to say that you need to hit on draft picks, but it’s arguably more important than ever. Get it right, and you can stack many more expensive players.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft said in 2013 that if Tom Brady made “elite” quarterback money, the team wouldn’t have been able to build a contender.

Brady has taken less than his market value at basically every turn.

A team can pay a quarterback a lot of money and win at a high level, but it becomes nearly impossible to build the rest of the roster.

You'll hear fans all the time say, well if only these owners would build a better roster around the quarterback.

Or quarterback X plays well despite the players around them, but they also seem to fail to ask the question why can't they or don't they?

Because of these contracts.

The fact is that only one team, in the entire history of the NFL, has ever won the Super Bowl while having its two highest-paid players make more than 21.6 percent of the salary cap is the 49ers in 1994 with Steve Young and Jerry Rice.

Teams that spread the money around usually benefit with championships.

That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to trade up and get the "top players."

No team had a higher percentage of its cap tied up in rookie contracts than the Baltimore Ravens last year. The Colts were third. The Chargers were fourth. The Saints were seventh.

It is undoubtedly a smart team-building strategy.

However, before you assume it’s the only team-building strategy, note that the Patriots, one of the smartest teams in football, are … 32nd.

If you aren't scouting well for the 22nd pick in the first round then your not gonna be scouting well for the 1st pick in the draft.

The Patriots care more about how that player fits the mold or team strategy then name recognition.

Seahawks fans are welcome to say they won the day.

But if statics hold true, he'll never win another championship in his life.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 07:36 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: I love history and it's time for a lesson.
Heck, if you wanted to give a lesson on how overpaying a QB can wreck a team, all you had to do was say Joe Flacco.   Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 07:00 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Who knew McDonalds required a contract.

Thats the nice thing about being a part of a union.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 08:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: With the way QB contracts have been soaring recently, Andy Dalton should become an even wealthier man before long.

After Matt Ryan, Jimmy G., and Aaron Rodgers all set unprecedented deals, Russell Wilson just raised the bar even higher.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/russell-wilson-agrees-to-contract-extension-with-seahawks-becomes-highest-paid-player-in-nfl/ar-BBVZa08?ocid=spartanntp

4 years/$140M   Shocked

Andy Dalton's next contract will have another team's name at the top.

Reply/Quote
Andy better watch out. If he asks for too much they may not have enough cap space and have to cut Hart.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2019, 09:44 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Andy better watch out. If he asks for too much they may not have enough cap space and have to cut Hart.

Hart is going to keep popping up in every thread I imagine
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2019, 09:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: Unless he won the Bowl, it'll be nothing like this.  He'll be looking at Brady money.  Brady's got sense enough to know that the team can't squander all of its cap on one position.  Seems to have worked out well for him. Mellow

Look how shitty GB is.....ATL will be shedding players soon.

Brady can take less do to endorsements; Brady is making as much in endorsement as his NFL salary. 

Dalton deal will be similar to his prior one if he stick with the Bengals. If not, he will probably earn closer to what others earned this past year. 
Reply/Quote