Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will be your breaking point?
There is no breaking point because I won't let myself get broken over an NFL team. I don't take it as a personal insult to me when they lose.

It is like when your kids keep eating the dog's turds. It is very frustrating that you can not make them stop, but you have to realize they are not doing it just to make you mad.
Reply/Quote
There is no breaking point in Cincy, whats the point in breaking now.

Honestly, I wonder what will happen first:

1 - The city will see a pro team advance a round in the playoffs

2 - The City will lose one of it's Pro teams

That being said, its been what? 26 straight seasons for the Bengals, something like 8 winning seasons in 26 tries, zero playoff wins.

Reds, this will make consecutive season #22 of zero advancement in the playoffs. 5 winning seasons in the last 22 years.

Lay the Reds and Bengals over one another - 48 straight tried, 48 straight zeros. Not one modicum of playoff or postseason success. That stat alone is staggering and somber.

13 winning seasons in 48 combined seasons as well, Basically each year we have a 28% chance of either the Reds or Bengals winning more than they lose. We have a 14% chance that both teams will have a winning year (We saw that in 2012, 2013)

It really is sad. Given the way the league induces parity, you have to start to wonder - How poorly run are these orgs? Based on sheer luck, they'd have to fall into some postseason magic every now and then. Not in Cincy. It's a joke
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 08:19 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: I survived the 90's also, and the only thing that comes to mind ( so far ) is if the Bengals relocate out of Cincy.
 I probably would find other things to occupy my time during the nfl season.

That might do it for me as well. Fortunately, I have an equally inept team in the Bills close to where I live, but if I wanted to get even more pathetic, the Jets are on the other side of this state. Mangold, Marshall, Fitzpatrick, Decker, is there anyone even left on that team? So, as long as they're in Cincy, gotta roll with the Bengals. In reality, they are middle-of-the-road sucky (the good news) but the bad news is there is little hope they will ever improve on that all that much.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 10:24 PM)OrangeLacroix Wrote: There is no breaking point in Cincy, whats the point in breaking now.  

Honestly, I wonder what will happen first:  

1 - The city will see a pro team advance a round in the playoffs

2 - The City will lose one of it's Pro teams

That being said, its been what?  26 straight seasons for the Bengals, something like 8 winning seasons in 26 tries, zero playoff wins.

Reds, this will make consecutive season #22 of zero advancement in the playoffs.   5 winning seasons in the last 22 years.

Lay the Reds and Bengals over one another - 48 straight tried, 48 straight zeros.  Not one modicum of playoff or postseason success.  That stat alone is staggering and somber.

13 winning seasons in 48 combined seasons as well,  Basically each year we have a 28% chance of either the Reds or Bengals winning more than they lose.   We have a 14% chance that both teams will have a winning year (We saw that in 2012, 2013)

It really is sad.  Given the way the league induces parity, you have to start to wonder -  How poorly run are these orgs?   Based on sheer luck, they'd have to fall into some postseason magic every now and then.  Not in Cincy.  It's a joke

I miss Jim Bowden.
Reply/Quote
Should have done broke. I think the 90's tempered us all with steel.
Reply/Quote
My breaking point might have been sitting in the South Endzone at PBS during the 2016 Shatsburgh Playoff game. Not really sure if I recovered fully from that loss. I mean I watched every single 2017 game, but there was just something missing from a passion standpoint.

I can tell you if this team does not resign Kevin Zietler, I will flip the hell out. I mean you draft a guy in the 1st rd. He starts day 1, plays EVERY game at high level. He gives up 1 sack last year, zero the year before & is pretty good in the run game....He does everything you are supposed to do. The front office says they are "rolling over cap room" to resign their own players. The front office always says they want to keep their own...& you are not going to give the man what he rightfully deserves .. This deal should have been done last year. I am sorry but for me this might be it for me. How can I keep spending my time & money on a team that does not do the right thing?
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:00 AM)bambino5130 Wrote: My breaking point might have been sitting in the South Endzone at PBS during the 2016 Shatsburgh Playoff game. Not really sure if I recovered fully from that loss. I mean I watched every single 2017 game, but there was just something missing from a passion standpoint.

I can tell you if this team does not resign Kevin Zietler, I will flip the hell out. I mean you draft a guy in the 1st rd. He starts day 1, plays EVERY game at high level. He gives up 1 sack last year, zero the year before & is pretty good in the run game....He does everything you are supposed to do. The front office  says they are "rolling over cap room" to resign their own players. The front office always says they want to keep their own...& you are not going to give the man what he rightfully deserves .. This deal should have been done last year. I am sorry but for me this might be it for me. How can I keep spending my time & money on a team that does not do the right thing?

Might want to start stretching those back muscles out because you may end up doing some flipping this weekend.
Reply/Quote
I'm hanging on by a fingernail right now ! I'm not gonna give up on the Bengals, just Mike Brown and Co.

If they don't try very hard to field a decent team this season with some addition, some subtraction I may well be finding other things to occupy my Sundays.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Not sure I would call it a breaking point but after the playoff loss to the Steelers I stopped getting as mad as I did watching games and kind of just accepted the fact that this team was going nowhere long as Marvin was the coach. It was almost a numb feeling when watching the games. At some points in the season I just tuned in for the comedy aspect, things such as watching to see if Nugent would keep his missing streak alive and to watch Marvin’s countless coaching blunders week after week. I think not making the playoffs this upcoming season and bringing Marvin back in 2018 ! Would be the worse case scenario.
Reply/Quote
Prime example of no hope in this organization: the team is mere hours away from re-signing Peko
Reply/Quote
Death.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 10:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is no breaking point because I won't let myself get broken over an NFL team.  I don't take it as a personal insult to me when they lose.

It is like when your kids keep eating the dog's turds.  It is very frustrating that you can not make them stop, but you have to realize they are not doing it just to make you mad.

In other words, the Bengals are dog shit eating kids.  Great analogy. 
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 10:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is no breaking point because I won't let myself get broken over an NFL team.  I don't take it as a personal insult to me when they lose.

It is like when your kids keep eating the dog's turds.  It is very frustrating that you can not make them stop, but you have to realize they are not doing it just to make you mad.

If your kids are eating dog shit, then you have bigger problems sir.

Probably ban me for pointing that out...
Reply/Quote
I was about at it last season when our coach made no moves till it was too late. I'm not sure what would do it all the way. All I know is I got into this draft because there's some guys who could really change this team in my mind like Cory Davis or Mike Williams. Or maybe a wide receiver later and a running back or tight end. I definitely feel we need offense to compete with the big boys.
Reply/Quote
You know you've had that debate with a Browns fan where neither of you can decide if it's better to have a worthless team for a decade or not have one at all, a breading point doesn't mean anything at this point but venting. The dog turd post is a keeper though.
Reply/Quote
I have no breaking point other than the team moving.

However, losing Whitworth would be a tremendous blow to me and, I think, the whole fan base.

During the 90s I became so enraged that I made an effort to find another team to follow.  I just could not do it.  The Bengals are my team and that's all there is to it.

I was a red hot fan all through the 80s when we went to two Super Bowls, and our president was Paul Brown, an icon of the NFL, who commanded respect league-wide.  His death was tough to take on many counts, but even when the team plunged into obscurity, I kept thinking it was temporary. Haha!

But I didn't leave the fold then, and I'm not leaving now.

I just don't understand how the Bengals have let it go this far.
Reply/Quote

Goats, right? Please tell me you're talking about baby GOATS.
Reply/Quote
No breaking point here, just death. A slow, long, drawn out painful Bengal fan death!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 11:46 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: Should have done broke.  I think the 90's tempered us all with steel

This.....I've been around so long I'm not sure I have a breaking point. If I do it obviously has a extremely high threshold.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:54 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Not sure I would call it a breaking point but after the playoff loss to the Steelers I stopped getting as mad as I did watching games and kind of just accepted the fact that this team was going nowhere long as Marvin was the coach.  It was almost a numb feeling when watching the games. At some points in the season I just tuned in for the comedy aspect, things such as watching to see if Nugent would keep his missing streak alive and to watch Marvin’s countless coaching blunders week after week. I think not making the playoffs this upcoming season and bringing Marvin back in 2018 ! Would be the worse case scenario.

Good point.  That pretty much did it for me as well.  Last season, I found myself laughing at the comedy of errors, much like I did in the 90s on the rare occasion the games weren't blacked out. LOL

As to the OP.....meh, I've been a fan since the 80s, no sense in backing out now....that's not to say my interest and intensity won't wane though.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote