Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will be your breaking point?
I broke during the awful meltdown against the Steelers in the playoff loss last year.

Absolutely ridiculous that Marvin was not fired the next day.

No other NFL team or pro franchise in any sport would have retained Marv after the game and in light of losing the last 6 playoff games.

Human nature is such that employees need to have a little bit of fear that they will be fired if they do not perform. That does not exist with the Benmgals.

Continuing breaking point issues - Bodine continues as center, Peko probably will get re-signed and  Rey M will get re-signed. All three of those moves are/would be inexplicable and would not be done by any other NFL team.

Further breaking point issues - Whit goes to Denver to have a shot with a serious franchise and Z and Dre leave for better money with better clubs because we only have $15 million in salary cap- a complete misrepresentation by management.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:28 AM)Wyche Wrote: Good point.  That pretty much did it for me as well.  Last season, I found myself laughing at the comedy of errors, much like I did in the 90s on the rare occasion the games weren't blacked out. LOL

As to the OP.....meh, I've been a fan since the 80s, no sense in backing out now....that's not say my interest and intensity won't wane though.

I missed a a few games last year and forgot the Bengals were even on a couple times. It got to be 1:30 on Sunday before I remembered there was a game on.

I've never been that way. I could count on 3 fingers how many games I intentionally missed over the previous 20 years or so. I'm just fed up with Mike, Marv and Sir Elton.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:58 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I missed a a few games last year and forgot the Bengals were even on a couple times. It got to be 1:30 on Sunday before I remembered there was a game on.

I've never been that way. I could count on 3 fingers how many games I intentionally missed over the previous 20 years or so. I'm just fed up with Mike, Marv and Sir Elton.

I hear ya Shake....I missed a couple last year too.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
I survived the 90s fully intact with all ten fingers and ten toes so short of the team disbanding there really is no breaking point. I might stop following as much as I currently do, but soon as they're back to winning I'll follow more. 
It's not AS IF this team affects my life to the point that I become physically ill. If it ever gets to that point I just find other things to do. 
Believe it or not we all have lives that don't involve the Bengals.. if it's bothering you so much that you're getting sick then perhaps you really need a new hobby. Try collecting various different toilet paper embossing patterns and make a quilt from them. Invent a new glass cleaner formula..See if you can get laid right after climbing out of a dumpster. The list is endless. 
Reply/Quote
I can honestly say I don't have a breaking point.

I don't agree with everything this team does. I disagree with something the team does every season.
I was super pissed when Vontaze and Pacman got those penalties in the playoff game.
I hate how cheap Mike Brown is.

But at the end of the day I'm a bengals fan. And I love being a bengals fan. I check this forum multiple times a day. I check out ESPN and NFL multiple times a day. I love football. I love going to the games.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 10:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is no breaking point because I won't let myself get broken over an NFL team.  I don't take it as a personal insult to me when they lose.

It is like when your kids keep eating the dog's turds.  It is very frustrating that you can not make them stop, but you have to realize they are not doing it just to make you mad.

[Image: 200_s.gif]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:06 AM)JumboTron Wrote: Might want to start stretching those back muscles out because you may end up doing some flipping this weekend.
+ Rep

Yeah, still holding out hope though that they realize this is a guy you can build the line around. I know its coming though.
I also see what happens when a team does not put money into their Oline......... see Seattle.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:25 PM)grampahol Wrote: I survived the 90s fully intact with all ten fingers and ten toes so short of the team disbanding there really is no breaking point. I might stop following as much as I currently do, but soon as they're back to winning I'll follow more. 
It's not AS IF this team affects my life to the point that I become physically ill. If it ever gets to that point I just find other things to do. 
Believe it or not we all have lives that don't involve the Bengals.. if it's bothering you so much that you're getting sick then perhaps you really need a new hobby. Try collecting various different toilet paper embossing patterns and make a quilt from them. Invent a new glass cleaner formula..See if you can get laid right after climbing out of a dumpster. The list is endless. 

This is exactly what my "break" would be. Not that I would stop being a Bengals fan, I just wouldn't try to watch every game.
When the Reds were doing well from 2010-2014, I tried to watch nearly every game. Once they started doing poorly in 2015, I watched maybe 30-50% of the remaining games.
Last year, I think I watched maybe 10-20.

I don't live and die by how my favorite sports teams do. It's just entertainment for me. I watch less if the teams consistently perform poorly.
But I think especially for the NFL, we all like to think we can build a pretty good team (at least on paper) and are confused when we see teams not make logical upgrades.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The chances of the Bengals moving within 20 years or less are highly likely because I don't see another stadium being built. For obvious reasons but also, I don't think Cincy can afford the kind of mansions they are building these days let alone the future.

I have no desire to follow a team not named Cincinnati Bengals.

So when that happens I will be free. Until then, well you know how it is.

Reply/Quote
If the team does nothing to upgrade the O-line then I have no confidence that they will see a winning season in '17. There are several other areas that need upgrades as well but if they can't run it or throw it effectively, the other upgrades don't matter! That is my breaking point for believing they can compete for a playoff spot this upcoming season.

My breaking point for not being a fan? I don't have one! I am California born and bred (Bay Areaaaaa! LOL) and have no ties to the city of Cincinnati. I have been a Bengals fan since I was about 4 or 5 years old and I have NO IDEA why!!! But this team is where my heart is and I will support and root for them until the day I die!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 03:29 PM)Bengalmaniac Wrote: My breaking point for not being a fan? I don't have one! I am California born and bred (Bay Areaaaaa! LOL) and have no ties to the city of Cincinnati. I have been a Bengals fan since I was about 4 or 5 years old and I have NO IDEA why!!! But this team is where my heart is and I will support and root for them until the day I die!

You poor tortured soul.....glutton for punishment? LMAO Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 03:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: You poor tortured soul.....glutton for punishment? LMAO Wink

LOL I must be...  Sad
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 04:54 PM)McC Wrote: The fact that I went through the 90's and didn't go anywhere probably means I have no breaking point, which shows just how stupid I really am.

Exactly this. If you didn't break in the 90s, 2 years out of 9 without making the playoffs sure as hell isnt going to break you. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 03:00 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The chances of the Bengals moving within 20 years or less are highly likely because I don't see another stadium being built. For obvious reasons but also, I don't think Cincy can afford the kind of mansions they are building these days let alone the future.

I have no desire to follow a team not named Cincinnati Bengals.

So when that happens I will be free. Until then, well you know how it is.

I think a move is highly likely when lease expires for reasons you state and others.
Reply/Quote
I don't think I have a breaking point with the Bengals. I have noticed that I'm becoming more numb to them. As the season went on, I didn't really cheer when we scored. When the other team scored, I just sat on the coach. When we lost, I just looked at my wife and shrugged my shoulders. I found myself zoned out a couple of times and had to re-focus on the game. I'm hoping that they'll do something to get me jumping up and down again

Pink Floyd says it best. I have become comfortably numb.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I act and say I have a breaking point, but I don't. I love my Bengals and I always will. No matter how bad they **** up or how much I disagree with their decisions, I'll watch and root for them every game. There's nothing that will change that. Even if they were to relocate or something like that, I wouldn't be able to not support the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 03:42 PM)Bengalmaniac Wrote: LOL I must be...  Sad

Hey, its alright man, i am the same way i guess.

Just happy the rest of my life is pretty damn good. Smirk
Reply/Quote
When they move away and change the team name... I might stop following.
Reply/Quote
It's like this--you take a stick and draw a line in the sand. Go ahead. Cross this. I dare you. Then he crosses it, so you take a step back and draw another line, etc.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 05:49 PM)McC Wrote: It's like this--you take a stick and draw a line in the sand.  Go ahead.  Cross this.  I dare you.  Then he crosses it, so you take a step back and draw another line, etc.

No doubt man, lol, i am warning you. Do it again. Go ahead.

MB needs a good ***** slapping i am telling you.
Reply/Quote