Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will last of Trump?
I've had a thought the last few days concerning the presidency of Donald Trump and the thought was whether or not Trumps run in office really matters in the grand scheme of things.

Since he's been in office there's been talk of Trump "reviving" racism, or at least empowering it to levels not seen for years. There's been talk of Trump destroying the US's relationships with it's allies and along with it our credibility as a nation to stand up to tyranny and injustice and stand with those who are in need of help.  Trump has been seen as eroding away years of progress for women's rights, and the rights of many others. These are just some of the things that have been discussed, but I find myself wondering if it really is as bad as many would like to believe it is?

Is Trump really turning the US into a deformed monster? Or do you believe that Trump and everything he stood for will be seen as just an unfortunate moment in American history? What's interesting to me is that I feel because Trump is so out of left field and not really seen as being "presidential" he will easily be written off and forgotten as "crazy" or someone who didn't really represent America, in order to heal any wounds that are left after he leaves office.

What do you expect after Trump's presidency is over? Do you think he is doing some serious damage that will last for years to come? Or do you think the next person in line will just step in and go "Alright everybody lets get back to good old text book politics and just completely denounce Trump right off the bat" and everything will be fine? 

In other words..... does the Trump presidency really matter? Is it really easy to just write off as an unfortunate event and the US will get a slap on the wrist for everything he's done that's seen as ridiculous and all will be forgotten?
If RBG or Breyer or both retire, his presidency will have a PROFOUND impact on the country.

Those who hate Trump will say he is damaging the country and those who love Trump will say he's making the country great again.

Anything Trump does can and will be fixed. As long as Trump keeps nominating Right leaning Justices, I'm good.

I voted(write in vote) for the Constitutionalist Darrel Castle and will vote for the Constitutionalist in 2020 whoever it is. They bring too much religion into their politics for my taste but I like pretty much everything else they bring to the table.

You may think an Independant Fundamental Baptist wants more religion in politics but I don't and pretty much everyone in my Independant Fundamental Baptist church is like me. We believe in the separation of church and state and we know religion must stay out of politics.

Oh and you are not going to change my mind although I'm sure some will try, lol.
(07-18-2018, 12:01 AM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: There's been talk of Trump destroying the US's relationships with it's allies

I think that one won't go away that fast. The US really established itself as an unreliable partner who doesn't give two cents about any contract made by the "wrong" America. Even if Trump is out of office, the next one might arrive soon and display the same attitude.
The fact that there once was a Trump is enough to shake confidence in the US. I know I see it that way, and I want Europe to move further away from the US for good instead of just waiting Trump out. I guess many see it in a similar way.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I am guessing not too much, unless he has more nominees on the SC which can make a difference for the next 10-20 or so years. The next POTUS will come in and try to right the ship immediately and aim for high popularity by trying to get rid of Trump's policies and legacy.

If the U.S. can recover from the 1960s and early 70s, from JFKs assassination that lead to Vietnam to MLK and RFK being assassinated as well, then Trump is a small roadbumb compared to those days.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

My fear is that, moving forward past this mistake of a president, the people who supported him will be unable to admit their mistake and be driven further into the abyss.  They will support more and more bad people and refuse to work with anyone who is "against them".

Hypothetically:  If Trump runs and loses in 2020 do you think he'll go quietly?  Do you think his Twitter will be any less full of the vitriol?  

He's an angry, sad man who cannot admit to failure.  To that point if he's in office for eight years he will be the same critical loud-mouth toward the next president when he is out of office.

He's bad for the country.  How bad will remain to be seen.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-18-2018, 12:01 AM)Matt_Crimson Wrote: I've had a thought the last few days concerning the presidency of Donald Trump and the thought was whether or not Trumps run in office really matters in the grand scheme of things.

Since he's been in office there's been talk of Trump "reviving" racism, or at least empowering it to levels not seen for years. There's been talk of Trump destroying the US's relationships with it's allies and along with it our credibility as a nation to stand up to tyranny and injustice and stand with those who are in need of help.  Trump has been seen as eroding away years of progress for women's rights, and the rights of many others. These are just some of the things that have been discussed, but I find myself wondering if it really is as bad as many would like to believe it is?

Is Trump really turning the US into a deformed monster? Or do you believe that Trump and everything he stood for will be seen as just an unfortunate moment in American history? What's interesting to me is that I feel because Trump is so out of left field and not really seen as being "presidential" he will easily be written off and forgotten as "crazy" or someone who didn't really represent America, in order to heal any wounds that are left after he leaves office.

What do you expect after Trump's presidency is over? Do you think he is doing some serious damage that will last for years to come? Or do you think the next person in line will just step in and go "Alright everybody lets get back to good old text book politics and just completely denounce Trump right off the bat" and everything will be fine? 

In other words..... does the Trump presidency really matter? Is it really easy to just write off as an unfortunate event and the US will get a slap on the wrist for everything he's done that's seen as ridiculous and all will be forgotten?

Not much if it's one term.  SC judges of course, but as long as they aren't nuts, then it's no different there than if another Republican won.

I don't think he has anything to do with any perceived or real uptick in racism.  Every time some asshat does something, someone will say it's because they feel comfortable doing it now with Trump in office.  Really?  Some closet racist jumps out now because he thinks the guy in the WH 1000 miles away has his back?

I think it will all go away in a few years, especially if he continues to talk more than do.  Then again what the hell do I know?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I think Trump's legacy will be the fulfillment of 2 Kings 14: 26-27
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-18-2018, 12:32 AM)hollodero Wrote: I think that one won't go away that fast. The US really established itself as an unreliable partner who doesn't give two cents about any contract made by the "wrong" America. Even if Trump is out of office, the next one might arrive soon and display the same attitude.
The fact that there once was a Trump is enough to shake confidence in the US. I know I see it that way, and I want Europe to move further away from the US for good instead of just waiting Trump out. I guess many see it in a similar way.

Yeah well we don't want you anyway.  We will just place the von Trapps in Lichtenstein, and Salisbury steak will now be called Freedom steak despite the fact that it didn't originate in that diseased penis looking  country of yours.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-18-2018, 10:42 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I think Trump's legacy will be the fulfillment of 2 Kings 14: 26-27

You're not going to make me look it up, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know who Jeraboam was even if I did look it up.

(07-18-2018, 10:42 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I think Trump's legacy will be the fulfillment of 2 Kings 14: 26-27

Who's Jeroboam? In Trump's legacy I mean, the real one I found on wikipedia.
(07-18-2018, 10:56 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You're not going to make me look it up.  

You're smarter than me.

Quote:26 The Lord had seen how bitterly everyone in Israel, whether slave or free, was suffering; there was no one to help them.
27 And since the Lord had not said he would blot out the name of Israel from under heaven, he saved them by the hand of Jeroboam son of Jehoash.
(07-18-2018, 10:56 AM)hollodero Wrote: Who's Jeroboam? In Trump's legacy I mean, the real one I found on wikipedia.

Trump, but consider Israel in the passage to be the modern day US

(07-18-2018, 10:56 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You're not going to make me look it up, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know who Jeraboam was even if I did look it up.

Was he the guy who said the new Embassy in Israel was going to cost $250,000?  But that was only the first phase and the next phase will cost $21 million?

https://www.timesofisrael.com/us-embassy-in-jerusalem-to-cost-nearly-100-times-trumps-estimate/

Quote:US embassy in Jerusalem to cost nearly 100 times Trump’s estimate

US president has boasted that new mission in Israel's capital can be built for just $250,000, but firm landed contract at $21.2 million, documents show
July 2018, 2:00 am 
[Image: IMG_0558-640x400.jpg]
A newly hung sign pointing to the US Embassy in Jerusalem, which was inaugurated on May 14, 2018. (Ben Sales/JTA)

The new US embassy in Jerusalem is going to cost a bit more than President Donald Trump had estimated. Make that nearly 100 times more.

The Maryland-based firm Desbuild Limak D&K was awarded a $21.2 million contract to design and build “compound security upgrades” to the embassy, according to official documents uploaded this week, Al-Monitor reported. The US has already spent $335,402 to refurbish the embassy, formerly a consulate, ahead of its May opening.

“We’re going to have it built very quickly and inexpensively,” Trump told reporters in March following his decision months earlier to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and relocate the US embassy there. “They put an order in front of my desk last week for $1 billion. … We’re actually doing it for about $250,000, so check that out.”

Trump repeated this and similar claims numerous times, eventually raising the price to $400,000 during a news conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
[Image: F180513YS02.jpg]View of the US embassy in Jerusalem’s Arnona neighborhood, Israel, May 13, 2018. (Yonatan Sindel/Flash90)
“As the president stated, the cost of initial modifications made to permit the embassy to open on May 14 was approximately $400,000,” a State Department official told Al-Monitor. “Following the May 14 opening, we have moved on to planning for and construction of a new extension and security enhancements at the interim site.”
The $21.5 million total “is actually a lot for that considering that they have plans apparently to purchase a new facility,” an aide in the House of Representatives told Al-Monitor.

The Trump administration has not announced when it plans to begin construction on a permanent embassy.
  Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-18-2018, 10:55 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah well we don't want you anyway.

Fair enough, I honestly can understand that. I often think we don't even want ourselves.

(07-18-2018, 10:55 AM)michaelsean Wrote:  We will just place the von Trapps in Lichtenstein, and Salisbury steak will now be called Freedom steak despite the fact that it didn't originate in that diseased penis looking  country of yours.

What's Salisbury steak?
- On second thought, I don't even want to know. Also, your penis fixation is troubling. We're a country, not a Rorschach test for anyone who obviously just sees penises in everything anyway. That's twisted.

(07-18-2018, 11:04 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Trump

Oh OK. I can see the parallels. Especially the part where he did evil in the eyes of the Lord.
(07-18-2018, 11:12 AM)hollodero Wrote: Fair enough, I honestly can understand that. I often think we don't even want ourselves.

What's Salisbury steak?
- On second thought, I don't even want to know. Also, your penis fixation is troubling. We're a country, not a Rorschach test for anyone who obviously just sees penises in everything anyway. That's twisted.

Oh OK. I can see the parallels. Especially the part where he did evil in the eyes of the Lord.

It's twisted like your penis shaped country. And I didn't see it.  It was pointed out to me by a famous astrophysicist.  

Salisbury steak is basically hamburger with a brown gravy and onions. Sometimes green peppers.

(07-18-2018, 12:32 AM)hollodero Wrote: I think that one won't go away that fast. The US really established itself as an unreliable partner who doesn't give two cents about any contract made by the "wrong" America. Even if Trump is out of office, the next one might arrive soon and display the same attitude.

The problem for you there is that Europe is not a monolith and never will be.  The EU is morphing into something it wasn't initially intended to be and it won't work.  The nations within the EU are nations with over a thousand years of history in most cases.  They won't be subsumed by an EU central government.  Also, who are you going to ally with?  China, Russia?  
(07-18-2018, 11:37 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Also, who are you going to ally with?  China, Russia?  

Nope. I don't know, maybe we don't need to ally with anyone. 

You're certainly right with the EU. Things can still change though. As of now, I don't quite know how and into what, but who knows. Necessities might bridge some gaps.
If Trump loses the 2020 election I expect him to demand people take up arms to oppose the government fixing the election. He alluded to it when he thought he was going to lose in 2016 so I expect more vitriol in 2020.
(07-18-2018, 12:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If Trump loses the 2020 election I expect him to demand people take up arms to oppose the government fixing the election.  He alluded to it when he thought he was going to lose in 2016 so I expect more vitriol in 2020.

Was that when Obama told him that no rational person could think a foreign nation could influence our election? 

I think it matters. It was a reflection of a growing chunk of the population that's not in mainstream America. They don't go to Disneyland, can't afford a car and they're tired of having to take off early from one of their two jobs to go apply for food stamps. And thanks to the mudslinging and impotence of the two major parties, they'll latch on to anyone who says they can fix it.

Which is incredibly dangerous.