Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would I do if I ran the team?
(02-28-2018, 09:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The video he attached shows his o-line ending up in his lap and his first step was usually backwards, even after his drop.  This line should make him feel right at home!

You know I love Dalton, but I can't help but feel how the weapons and a mobile QB could work together in spite of the offensive line.  

Another good point. Lamar didn't have a good O-line in college unlike Mayfield.

I am just not a fan of a QB with his release, looks a little funky. I want a QB who can thread the needle in the middle of the field.

But Lamar can score TD's in a variety of ways and that sure helps you win games. I just wonder how long he would be around.

I think he will be better than RG3 and Kaepernick the more i think about it. I just think Dalton should stick around and i don't
want to use a first round pick on a QB, i find this to be a rebuild cause we won't know what we have with the crapshoot Draft.

We know what we have in Dalton. When he had a decent O-line in 2015 he was in the MVP discussion. I say get back to that
and keep him and AJ Green around so we can make a run with them. That is, if they have any confidence in this coaching staff.

I could totally understand them wanting out after the Whit fiasco. The disrespect given to Whit was truly egregious IMHO.

(02-28-2018, 10:09 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If I ran the team, I would change the way I did things in the past.
1. I would cut under performers to motivate others to perform and also free up cap space
2. I would not trade away my best 2 offensive players and put us in rebuild mode again with no proven QB on the roster.
3. I would trade picks 5 and 6 for an extra 4th to get us 6 picks in the top 140 so try and get better quality versus grabbing guys (quantity) we end up losing anyway.
4. I would go after a LT like Solder or Glenn and a center in FA with the extra cap money I saved by letting Jones and others go.

I think with a great draft and going after the right FA's to solidify the OL this team could be back to the playoffs.

I think this is the best plan. Nice post Luvnit. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2018, 09:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Figured you would be pimpin your boy Sled. He was better throwing out of the pocket last year but still i don't care for
his release and he made a lot of questionable throws and runs in those clips that would turn out badly in the NFL. The
one where he ran to the right and threw across his body for the TD would probably be an interception in the NFL and
some of those plays where he ran and then got stood up could end his career in one instant in the NFL with his frail
build.

Dude is classy and probably the best running QB i have ever seen in college but that doesn't always translate to the
pros as we all know.

I just don't think the guy is ready for the NFL game yet and if we did do what SHRacer here says and moved on from
Dalton and got Lamar i would be a bit frightened about the guy getting injured. Dalton atleast stays healthy pretty much
even with a shit O-line and he is a very good pocket passer when he has a damn pocket.

Fix the O-line and we fix the main problem with this team, QB is not the problem.

I hear what you are saying. I am not siuggesting he displace Dalton and play next year. But, if they can get him in the 2nd and have him learn for a year or 2 behind Dalton, I think he will light it up. As to his thin build, that's why I said "if he lasts"..... I held my breath everytime he took off in college. He took some big hits though, and always got up. But, as you said, he needs to put on weight, and he will as he matures.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 03:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The disrespect given to Whit was truly egregious IMHO.

Totally disagree. The Bengals offered Whit a sold deal for one year (basically the same money he got with the Rams) . At his age, I don't think that not offering him a multi year deal is any disrespect at all.....
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 03:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Another good point. Lamar didn't have a good O-line in college unlike Mayfield.

I am just not a fan of a QB with his release, looks a little funky. I want a QB who can thread the needle in the middle of the field.

But Lamar can score TD's in a variety of ways and that sure helps you win games. I just wonder how long he would be around.

I think he will be better than RG3 and Kaepernick the more i think about it. I just think Dalton should stick around and i don't
want to use a first round pick on a QB, i find this to be a rebuild cause we won't know what we have with the crapshoot Draft.

We know what we have in Dalton. When he had a decent O-line in 2015 he was in the MVP discussion. I say get back to that
and keep him and AJ Green around so we can make a run with them. That is, if they have any confidence in this coaching staff.

I could totally understand them wanting out after the Whit fiasco. The disrespect given to Whit was truly egregious IMHO.

I really wonder where all this injury fear is coming with Jackson.  Is it because he takes hits as a runner?  Because I don't see him taking many hits in college.  He usually would get out of bounds or spin out of a direct shot.  He did make some tough plays at the goal line, but overall, I don't see him taking a pounding.  

He is the same weight as Dalton (roughly), and he is an inch taller with amazing escape ability.  Maybe it is Dalton we should be worrying about more than Jackson.  He is fairly mobile but the offensive line still has major issues.

Your reference to 2015 is inspiring, until we realize we also lost Hue Jackson.  I don't know too much about Lazor, and the guy deserves an offseason to build his offense the way he wants it to be, but I felt Hue was the reason 2015 was such a success.  

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really wonder where all this injury fear is coming with Jackson.

The only QB that has been a consistent runner in the NFL is Cam Newton and he is an absolute freak.

Not bashing Lamar.  Just facing the reality that the hits in the NFL are MUCH worse than in college.  The defenders are bigger, faster, and harder to dodge.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 07:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Totally disagree. The Bengals offered Whit a sold deal for one year (basically the same money he got with the Rams) . At his age, I don't think that not offering him a multi year deal is any disrespect at all.....

I am somewhat with this...they had to see what they had in the first rounder, Ogbuehi (not much), and Father Time is still undefeated.  Whit has been an Iron Man and I think he was somewhat rejuvenated by joining the young Rams.  

It, like so many other things, just busted on the Bengals like so many other decisions of late (McCarron, Hue's "transition" plan, drafting young offensive tackles from spread offenses).  

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 10:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The only QB that has been a consistent runner in the NFL is Cam Newton and he is an absolute freak.

Not bashing Lamar.  Just facing the reality that the hits in the NFL are MUCH worse than in college.  The defenders are bigger, faster, and harder to dodge.

Good point, which if you remember back to the original post, it was about designing a RPO offense around Lamar, with him rushing being the last option.  His escape ability could move chains, but not run downfield and take hits.  He would be coached to get down or out of bounds.  I agree it is another whole level of defenders, but he would also have another whole level of weapons and running back.  Scramble if neither of the first two options are there, but scramble to throw, not to run.  More like Wilson, than Newton, who has a solid 30 lbs on Jackson.  

I am just ready to try a new direction.  This offense, I would wager, would never on their best day put up a 45 burger on pitt or the pats to beat them.  Never.  I think a QB like Jackson would frustrate the hell out of defenses and we simply can't say that at all about the offense we currently employ.  
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2018, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He is the same weight as Dalton (roughly), and he is an inch taller with amazing escape ability. 

Never looked it up, but this surprises me. Dalton has always, to me, looked like he was pretty well solidly put together, while Lamar has always looked kind of skinny. Appearances can be deceptive though.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2018, 06:59 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I hear what you are saying. I am not siuggesting he displace Dalton and play next year. But, if they can get him in the 2nd and have him learn for a year or 2 behind Dalton, I think he will light it up. As to his thin build, that's why I said "if he lasts"..... I held my breath everytime he took off in college. He took some big hits though, and always got up. But, as you said, he needs to put on weight, and he will as he matures.

You guys have talked me into taking Lamar in the 2nd if he is there and IF the O-line is somewhat taken
care of in FA and in the 1st round. The O-line just has to be addressed, we need an OT and a Center first.

(02-28-2018, 07:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Totally disagree. The Bengals offered Whit a sold deal for one year (basically the same money he got with the Rams) . At his age, I don't think that not offering him a multi year deal is any disrespect at all.....

I felt this way at the time cause of Whit's age but he always took such great care of himself and we saw last season that
he still has a season or two in the tank. Whit himself said the offer he got from the Bengals was not even close to what he
got from the Rams. I tend to believe him.

(03-01-2018, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I really wonder where all this injury fear is coming with Jackson.  Is it because he takes hits as a runner?  Because I don't see him taking many hits in college.  He usually would get out of bounds or spin out of a direct shot.  He did make some tough plays at the goal line, but overall, I don't see him taking a pounding.  

He is the same weight as Dalton (roughly), and he is an inch taller with amazing escape ability.  Maybe it is Dalton we should be worrying about more than Jackson.  He is fairly mobile but the offensive line still has major issues.

Your reference to 2015 is inspiring, until we realize we also lost Hue Jackson.  I don't know too much about Lazor, and the guy deserves an offseason to build his offense the way he wants it to be, but I felt Hue was the reason 2015 was such a success.  

Lamar is tough no doubt but he sure doesn't look like Dalton's build as Sled here says. What Fred also said rings true to me
as Cam Newton that sumbitch i don't like is the only QB who looks to be able to take an NFL beating and even he had his scares
when he was getting hit by the Broncos in the backfield and got concussed.

It is just my concern with Lamar as it is with any running college QB making the transition to the NFL.

Dalton has proven his durability in the NFL IMHO.

(03-01-2018, 11:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Never looked it up, but this surprises me. Dalton has always, to me, looked like he was pretty well solidly put together, while Lamar has always looked kind of skinny. Appearances can be deceptive though.

Same.
Reply/Quote