Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would the US look like if...
I was just wondering as I was watching a video on YouTube of System of a Down playing B.Y.O.B., what would the US look like if Indentured Servitude was never a part of our history.

Think about that for a moment, Slavery wasn't a thing without Indentured Servitude and the uprising, I can't remember the year. After that uprising, Black Indentered Servants were made lifelong Slaves, their freedom taken and the Slave Trade brought about while White Indenture Servants could still become free after paying their debt.

I doing this off memory here so I apologize.

Next, what about if after the war with Mexico, the United States decided to keep all of Mexico rather than give back the land which is currently Mexico?

What if Mexico decided to side with Germany during World War One? 

What if Russia decided not to sell the US Alaska?

Not to long ago, I think it was Quebec who voted against joining the United States and become a state. It was within the past 20 years. What would the United States be like now if that had happened?

Just thought this would be an interesting topic.
Without indentured servitude, the US would have developed much more slowly than it did, especially the mid-Atantic region. Also, Trump would not be president. I am not sure what "uprising" you are referring to. Slavery was gradually phased in because indentured servants kept running away. Africans and Indians became targets of slavery legislation because they could be easily defined as "non-Christian." The kind of racial anthropology operative by the 19th century did not exist in the 17th.

The US would not have been able to occupy Mexico. Too big for the US' tiny army. Also, too much opposition at home, led by people like Lincoln and Thoreau.

Mexico would have really gotten its ass kicked if it sided with Germany. That's all.  And it would have hastened the US entry in to WWI. Mexico knew that was a stupid idea from the start.

Likely the US would have taken Alaska after 1917, for security reasons, and with the assistance of Canada.

Quebec could not unilaterally decide to become a US state. Are you referring the issue of separation from Anglo-Canada?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-03-2017, 04:22 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote:  

Not to long ago, I think it was Quebec who voted against joining the United States and become a state. It was within the past 20 years. What would the United States be like now if that had happened?

There was a political party decades ago that ran on that platform. They were sort of like the Marijuana Party or Veterans Party. It had a specific intent and a small membership that never won (I don't think) an office. 

If a province of another country voted to join the U.S. — and if the other country allowed it — then the US would still have to vote to accept it. Sort of like the situation with Puerto Rico, who is trying to become a state. It most likely won't happen, as the U.S. has no reason to need it. We already get what we need from it, we don't need to assume its debt or extend additional aid, and Congress doesn't want any more competition... especially the current Congress. They've got enough of a challenge gerrymandering enough states to stay in power as it is.
(07-03-2017, 05:14 PM)Benton Wrote: There was a political party decades ago that ran on that platform. They were sort of like the Marijuana Party or Veterans Party. It had a specific intent and a small membership that never won (I don't think) an office. 

If a province of another country voted to join the U.S. — and if the other country allowed it — then the US would still have to vote to accept it. Sort of like the situation with Puerto Rico, who is trying to become a state. It most likely won't happen, as the U.S. has no reason to need it. We already get what we need from it, we don't need to assume its debt or extend additional aid, and Congress doesn't want any more competition... especially the current Congress. They've got enough of a challenge gerrymandering enough states to stay in power as it is.

Is it bad that I'm against PR becoming a state because I like 50?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-05-2017, 10:00 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Is it bad that I'm against PR becoming a state because I like 50?

Yes.
We should have kept all of Mexico. Those people are part of a third world hellhole because we gave them back half of their country.
(07-05-2017, 12:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We should have kept all of Mexico. Those people are part of a third world hellhole because we gave them back half of their country.

Then what is FL's excuse?
(07-05-2017, 01:00 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Then what is FL's excuse?

Probably the old or illegals or Haitians.   Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-05-2017, 01:00 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Then what is FL's excuse?

Spanish colony. As I I've said for many years ..... British/Duth colony style > Spanish/French colony style.
(07-05-2017, 12:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: We should have kept all of Mexico.   Those people are part of a third world hellhole because we gave them back half of their country.

I don't agree.  I think we should have just taken the Yucatan.  Give the rest back to the people.  Just because I had fun down there in Cancun a few years back.  The first thing I saw when we landed was the big Mexican flag.  I had to fight the urge to run up to the first Mexican I saw down there and scream in their face, "Remember the Alamo!" 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(07-05-2017, 01:34 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Spanish colony. As I I've said for many years ..... British/Duth colony style > Spanish/French colony style.

The sleaze imminating from FL has nothing to do with colony style. It's the garbage people and their garbage religions that inhabit it today.
(07-05-2017, 04:57 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Check your sex offender registry and let us know what you find.

Criminals