Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do?
When pick #18 rolls up and the board looks like this.

18. Mims
19. Latham
20. Brian Thomas Jr.
21. Johnny Newton
22. Byron Murphy II
23. Powers-Johnson
24. Chop Robinson

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would draft Newton or trade back 3 or 4 spots if there is a willing partner.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 03:08 PM)J24 Wrote: I would draft Newton or trade back 3 or 4 spots if there is a willing partner.

It's a tougher choice for me, I guess. Do we go Tackle, and potentially have the RT spot locked up for 5-10 years, do we add another premium WR that will be on an affordable contract for 5 years, or do we have our pick of a pair of premium 3Ts?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 12:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When pick #18 rolls up and the board looks like this.

18. Mims
19. Latham
20. Brian Thomas Jr.
21. Johnny Newton
22. Byron Murphy II
23. Powers-Johnson
24. Chop Robinson

I see another WR ranked in top 18 as sure fire #1 grade. 

2024 NFL draft: Prospects with first-round grades, plus comps - ESPN

Mitchell is 18th and Thomas is 17th.

I think it depends, if we do not trade Higgins, I think the guy ranked from #9 to #22 (this is worst ranking I have seen for him), we take Byron Murphy II
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 03:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's a tougher choice for me, I guess. Do we go Tackle, and potentially have the RT spot locked up for 5-10 years, do we add another premium WR that will be on an affordable contract for 5 years, or do we have our pick of a pair of premium 3Ts?

Personally, if Thomas is there at 18, plus all those OT's, you draft Thomas and package our 2nd with a 3rd either this year or next to move back into the end of the 1st for a T like Guyton, Suamataia, Fatanu.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 12:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When pick #18 rolls up and the board looks like this.

18. Mims
19. Latham
20. Brian Thomas Jr.
21. Johnny Newton
22. Byron Murphy II
23. Powers-Johnson
24. Chop Robinson

Murphy. I want the defense stepping up this year, stopping the run and pressuring the QB.

Immediate impact, and hopefully, long-term starter at NT. Good measurables, and gives the defense the extra pass rushing juice they need.

Later pick up a starter quality swiss army knife for the o-line in Beebe, maybe even taking over for Volsen now and Karras in the future.

Double dip on o-line again in the third and the team is looking good.

That said, not opposed to o-line in the first instead. As long as they're not one and done...
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 03:30 PM)FormerlyBengalRugby Wrote: Murphy. I want the defense stepping up this year, stopping the run and pressuring the QB.

Immediate impact, and hopefully, long-term starter at NT. Good measurables, and gives the defense the extra pass rushing juice they need.

Later pick up a starter quality swiss army knife for the o-line in Beebe, maybe even taking over for Volsen now and Karras in the future.

Double dip on o-line again in the third and the team is looking good.

That said, not opposed to o-line in the first instead. As long as they're not one and done...

That’s exactly what I wanna see this year too. But Someone needs to sell me on a Day 2 offensive tackle tho cuz I’ve got a few dtackles I want us to target however after day 1 my list of offensive tackles I like is almost gone. And that’s only if Kingsley lasts to 49 which I doubt. Do we like
Dominic Puni in here!? He can play up n down the line right?
Reply/Quote
Murphy
Reply/Quote
I would draft Newton or Murphy.

Solidfy the dline for the next several years with whoever we believe is the best DT in the draft--adding a major contributer to our defense for the coming years.

The depth along the oline is much better than DT, so we can target specific players in the mid rounds to upgrade at IOL and OT.
Plenty of good WRs in the mid rounds as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 04:32 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I would draft Newton or Murphy.

Solidfy the dline for the next several years with whoever we believe is the best DT in the draft--adding a major contributer to our defense for the coming years.

The depth along the oline is much better than DT, so we can target specific players in the mid rounds to upgrade at IOL and OT.

Translation = If Trent Brown can somehow magically stay healthy, we can wait another year for RT?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 04:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Translation = If Trent Brown can somehow magically stay healthy, we can wait another year for RT?

Man that’s a hard choice. I would have to say Murphy because we need more pressure. It would make our defense an actual weapon, not a liability.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 04:32 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I would draft Newton or Murphy.

(04-01-2024, 04:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Translation = If Trent Brown can somehow magically stay healthy, we can wait another year for RT?

The draft is deep on offensive lineman (and WR, not so much DT).

The Bengal's biggest weakness last year was defense--not getting pressure, not containing the run, poor coverage in the secondary.

If the Bengals can get a lockdown corner or an A+ DT prospect with the top pick I would pick that over the 4th/5th highest rated OT in the draft, who needs coaching to be a good nfl starter.
There are a lot of other OT prospects with similar scouting reports that can be had in the 3rd round.

I really don't want to see the Bengals reach for a need, because that is where they have gotten in trouble in the past and it's lead to players like Billy Price and Ooogiee booogie being drafted. 

If they think Lathom or Mims are the next big thing at tackle I'm all for it. But he better pan out. 

I want them to draft the best player period.

I don't want them to draft an average OT over an all pro DT or corner or even Edge.
Reply/Quote
Good question. I'll rate them in order of preference. They all come with slight context:

1. Mims- love this kid. I won't even talk about him in terms of potential because I'm satisfied with what he can already do. He's a force of nature and if he can stay healthy the sky's the limit.

2. Latham- he's been near the top of the big board for over a year. Major program. Plays RT and that's what we need. I won't overthink it or get distracted by the Leatherwood/Neal argument or "ceilings" or any of that other stuff. He's solid value and I'd be happy to welcome him to the group.

3. Murphy II- I don't mind Byron as a player. I do mind if he can't be a 1T or fill whatever role Lou needs him to fill. He did play some snaps there as a Longhorn but it's completely different. He wasn't even the prime NT on his own team (Sweat). But if he can do it and they see his future there- or they see Rankins there and Byron can stay where he is- maybe that changes things.  

4. JPJ- I like his ability to fill in for any of the three IOL, be it now or in the future. I'd rather defer it to Round 2 (Frazier) given that it doesn't address an immediate need, but it still wouldn't be a waste of a pick. I think just having some quality depth for once may up everyone's game.  

5. Robinson- I don't know. I just... I don't know. It'd be the second year in a row we go this route. Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen even if he's BPA.

6. Newton- not a fan. Granted I may be biased since I've never really been a fan and could be looking for reasons to doubt him lol. But like Byron, he's not the 1T we need. That's just not his forte. Worse, the Illini have never been very good and that matters to me. But I hope he proves me wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.  

7. Thomas Jr.- I'm assuming Tee stays. It would be such a needless media distraction to have his successor patrolling the sidelines. If you like Thomas then you need to deal Tee. The situation won't be much different next year and we need value from both assets now since we're smack dab in the middle of our SB window. And that's all I have to say about that. \Forrest Gump voice
Reply/Quote
Considering I don't expect rookies to contribute much in year 1, I'm taking the guy that I think will be the best player and can add the most to the team.

For me, that's Newton. He gives us a young interior pass rusher that we haven't had in quite some time.
Reply/Quote
I would take Newton or Murphy in this situation, I agree with others that we can get a good RT for the future in the 2nd round and we
need to get physical and strong in the trenches, need to stop the run and rush the passer from the inside out. Love Rankins and he will
help teach Newton or Murphy some moves.

But surely wouldn't be against Mims when watching his limited film. Also would be fine with Thomas or Adonai Mitchell at WR.
Reply/Quote
I take one of the tackles. Easy. With Brown signed, probably Mims. I might gamble & move down 2-3 spots if I think one will be there. Though the Steelers at #20 screams OL. Risky.

If Sweat is there, I take him Rd2. If not, then the best WR/CB/DT left.

Rd1: RT.
Rd2: Sweat or:

WR (Boyd Replacement): McConkey, Pearsall, R. Wilson, Corley, Legette. Or:

CB4 (Chido replacement): Tampa, Rakestraw.

DT: Fiske. Maybe Jenkins or Ohorhoro.

If all that is gone, maybe best IOL.

With the Rd3 picks, whatever not taken so far (WR, CB, NT, DT), but IOL, TE, and RB start to become possible.

Frankly, I do not get the DT choices at all. We have 2 starter level (or better) 3Ts in Hill and Rankins. We need NT types. Not another 3T. Which Murphy & Newton both are.

The only Day 2 worthy NTs are Sweat & Murphy. If Sweat is there, it will have to be #49. DT, then NT would mean leaving RT, WR, & CB blank into Rd3.

I love Murphy & Newton as players, but signing Rankins takes DT off the board in Rd1 for me.

We can get a rotational DT/3T with upside in Rd2-3 or later if we must. And Carter did get a bit better.

RT, NT, WR, & CB are all higher priorities for me.
Reply/Quote
I would take Thomas Jr and then trade Tee for a high second rounder. Get an OT and a DT in the second.
If Fuaga was there I would take him.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 08:37 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I would take Thomas Jr and then trade Tee for a high second rounder. Get an OT and a DT in the second.
If Fuaga was there I would take him.

Please sell me on a tackle outside the first round we can bank on as our future right tackle to start next year or this year if brown goes down?
Reply/Quote
I keep going back and forth.

But right now. My flavor of the day.

I probably want Latham more than anyone else in the draft. Massive blue chip player from blue chip school with big time experience and quality track record.

Followed up closely by Murphy. Who sure looks like the next powerhouse disruptor in the middle. I watch some of his games and it turns me off on some of the close sacks and TFLs that he misses out on. I don’t know if I should hold that against him, or give him credit for getting close where the average player wouldn’t even have had an opportunity to miss the tackle.

Then JPJ. He seems like an asshole bully that likes to make defenses miserable. Would love to get that attitude ingrained into our OL.
Reply/Quote
Latham. I would take Fuaga 1st but he's not available.
Reply/Quote