Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would your Grade be for Bengals 2015 draft?
(05-06-2021, 01:12 PM)PDub80 Wrote: D+/C-

Ced still in league on Seahawks
Fisher ended up with long term injury issues
Kroft wasn't a bad player and still in the league (Jets)
Dawson was horrific. Huge dissapointment
Shaw was ok for CB depth... and a nut case
Hardison couldn't find thenfield consistently
Uzomah is a really good player and a great Bengal.
Smith Typical 6th rounder
Alford was typical 7th rounder

You don’t grade a draft by checking how many players are still bumbling around the league. You grade it by what kind of impact they had for you. The Bengals selected two guys that ended up being okay, and one of them isn’t even here anymore.

Calling Uzomah a “really good player” is a huge stretch. Before last years injury, he was averaging 202 yards and one touchdown........per season. He isn’t a great Bengal or a really good player. He is just there. He is okay depth.
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure I gave it a C/C- after it happened. Now, it's a gigantic F.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 12:28 PM)GodFather Wrote: F......Real question is how many people gave it an A at the time and thought it would make the Bengals into a top tier team? Ninja

I remember liking the Dawson, Shaw, Kroft, and Derron Smith picks.
I wanted Grady Jarrett instead of Hardison, but I did think Hardison would have still ended up an ok backup.
I was nervous about Ogbuehi and Fisher, but up to that point, Alexander had had good success with 1st and 2nd round OTs, so I thought maybe they would turn into something.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am guessing the coaches didn't know Cedric O, liked to take acid on a Tuesday. Also, spend every night at the club.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 12:28 PM)GodFather Wrote: F......Real question is how many people gave it an A at the time and thought it would make the Bengals into a top tier team? Ninja

This shows how hard it is to predict success in the NFL,, we tend to evaluate how we felt about drafts 3 years later like that was our eval then.  
Reply/Quote

WOW...No way near a C.....I'm kind giving it a D due to Uzomah.  Really should be an F, but Uzomah I'll give it a D....2014 and 2015 were both D's, just awful drafts. No surprise of the Bengals demise. ....Again, whoever made the picks in 2014 and 2015 should have been FIRED. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
There isn't a letter grade for the amount of failure involved here. This is worse than an F. This is a singularity of failure.

Bad. Just...so, so bad.
Reply/Quote
D-

About as close to a complete train wreck as you can get. This draft set our franchise back 5 years.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 02:11 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: D-

About as close to a complete train wreck as you can get. This draft set our franchise back 5 years.

A good draft in 2015 probably keeps our playoff running going and we would have been drafting the last couple years to replace pieces instead of a much more in depth change of offensive and defense team. 
Reply/Quote

6 of the 9 picks were quickly out of the league, and the 3 that started a bunch of games probably shouldn't have.

Og and Fish set this team back for years. If that's not an F, nothing is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Uzomah is a poor starting TE, too. I said it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Man, did I ever catch a ton of shit from the superfans, for my criticism of that draft. So, now in retrospect, I can firmly say "I told ya so!". Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
F
Reply/Quote
Did anyone figure out the best draft we could have had?
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 11:54 AM)hoosierbengal Wrote: Round 1, pick No. 21: Cedric Ogbuehi, OL, Texas A&M
Round 2, pick No. 53: Jake Fisher, OL, Oregon
Round 3, pick No. 85: Tyler Kroft, TE, Rutgers
Round 3, pick No. 99: Paul Dawson, LB, TCU
Round 4, pick No. 120: Josh Shaw, DB, USC
Round 4, pick No. 135: Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona State
Round 5, pick No. 157, C.J. Uzomah, TE, Auburn
Round 6, pick No. 197, Derron Smith, DB, Fresno State
Round 7, pick No. 238, Mario Alford, WR, West Virginia
Hindsight:

Round 1, pick No. 21: Donovan Smith, OL, Penn State
Round 2, pick No. 53: Frank Clark, DE, Michigan
Round 3, pick No. 85: Danielle Hunter, DE, LSU
Round 3, pick No. 99: Kwon Alexander, LB, KSU
Round 4, pick No. 120: Grady Jarrett DL, Clemson
Round 4, pick No. 135: Stefon Diggs, WR, Maryland
Round 5, pick No. 157, Quandre Diggs, DB, Texas
Round 6, pick No. 197, Daren Waller, TE Georgia Tech
Round 7, pick No. 238, Trent Brown, OT, Florida
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It's a F....but I think I gave it a D back then....I thought Fisher might pan out. I had no idea just how bad Og would be....but I sure didn't like drafting a guy that was injured for the year and had some questions. To be fair, Uzomah isn't a bad player.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2021, 12:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It's the worst draft that I can remember.

Only about 3 guys made any impact really, and all but Uzomah didn't get a 2nd contract by the Bengals.
Uzomah really hasn't been that good either, amassing only 114 receptions for 1098 yards and 8 TDs over 6 seasons.
If there's any bit of optimism, it's that Uzomah was on pace for his best season last year before going down to injury.
If he stays healthy and back to same effectiveness, I can see him being potentially in the Top 15 among TEs in the league for receiving.

When you consider where Uzo was drafted.... he's been ok.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
F

Like others have said quite probably the worst draft in Bengals history. The team has still not fully recovered from it.
Reply/Quote
And yet every year we rave or moan over a draft. Granted, 2015 was a turd in retrospect. But at the time it seemed to hold promise. People just didn't like the double dipping at OL, but those players had a high grade coming out.

Ultimately the quality of a draft is borne out over a few years. Whether you're optimistic or pessimistic doesn't matter much, so you might as well choose the former.
Reply/Quote
Let's be fair here folks. The grades given were high because we drafted two tackles in anticipation of losing key member of our OLine so we "addressed our needs". In retrospect obviously it was a disaster, but at the time it looked ok, thus the pundits grades.

But this draft was the beginning of the end for our then excellent OLine. Zeitler and Whit left right after this, nd our OLine hasn't been the same since. It's the FO's fault for not fixing it before now.
Reply/Quote