Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Whats the minimum you will be satisfied with in FA
We have to build the line right to left, starting in Free Agency.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 07:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That's why I think the best option for draft vs FA is to take care of your OL in FA and just fill your weapons with draft picks.
I feel you have a better chance at finding a solid-or-better contributor quickly at WR, TE, and especially RB compared to OL.

Particularly coming off a SB loss, the Bengals would be wise to play to their strengths in the draft.

Positions we typically do a good job of drafting are WR, S, DL, and RB.

Positions where we tend to struggle are OL, CB, and TE.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Man...didn't we pass on Brown a couple times in the draft?

Yes they had a good draft could have been great. Took Malik Jefferson over Brown. Hindsight is always 20/20 biggest regret for me is not addressing the line in free agency the last 2 years. Plus maybe Brown gives them 2 more wins if you draft him and you lose out on Joe Borrow down the road.

R1(21): Billy Price, IOL (Ohio State)
R2(54): Jessie Bates, S (Wake Forest)
R3(77): Sam Hubbard, EDGE (Ohio State)
R3(78): Malik Jefferson, LB (Texas)

R3(80): Orlando Brown, OT( Oklahoma)
Reply/Quote
The minimum for me to be satisfied:

First, sign Bates long term. Front load the contract so we are hampered when it comes time to pay Burrow, Chase, and Higgins.

Second, sign CJ. Great team leader and provides adaquate production from the TE considering the WR group we have.

Third, sign either Ogunjobi or Hill. I prefer Og, but if he gets too pricey then divert that to Hill. Or if both are cheap enough, then sign both.

Fourth, see if Gronk is serious about playing with Burrow. He'd be great to use in redzone and late game situations. He might enjoy it more when he's not leaned on as much as the Pats and Bucs needed him to do.

Fifth, rebuild the OL in FA. No more drafting players to fill OL holes. We have a bad record of it. I prefer maybe 1 top tier OL FA (pricey) and then 2 solid ones. I trust Zac to find guys who fit our system like he did last offseason.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 02:39 PM)CincyWestside Wrote: The minimum for me to be satisfied:

First, sign Bates long term. Front load the contract so we are hampered when it comes time to pay Burrow, Chase, and Higgins.
 Disagree with this.   Do you want a front loaded contract where his cap hit is say $15mm this year or $5mm this year?  You want $5mm this year, so you can spend another $10mm elsewhere on a player or two that you think gets you over the top to win the SB. 

I would rather have 1 SB win and 10 crappy seasons, vs 0 SB wins and in the playoffs 10 times. 

Go for broke the next 3 years while Burrow's contract is cheap.  Try to win as many SB's over the next 3 years as you can, and in years 4 and 5 when you are in cap he!!, you just rework the team.   Heck, Tom Brady went 9 years in between SB wins-- and that was because they didn't run Marshawn Lynch from the 1 yard line, then 2 years later had Atlanta choke by getting sacked out of FG range which would have ended it. If not for that, he may have gone 14-15 years between SB wins.  

When you have a 3 year window-- you maximize that window bc they don't come around every day.  Even for Tom Brady.   This means larger signing bonuses for players and we shall see if the Bengals FO has the fortitude to go out and try to win 3 SB's by spending money and allocating that cap space with lower cap hits over the next 3 years to go for the win. 

Honestly, this offseason will tell us how badly do they (the front office,) want to win. 
Reply/Quote
The minimum we can do and I’ll be happy is replace RT and RG and resign Bates.

Bates allowed us to play a lot of cover 3 and cover 1 in the playoffs when most teams were forced to stay in 2 high sets. Bates read plays very well and i actually don’t remember many deep balls happening against us all year really.

Replacing RT and RG is just obvious. If that doesn’t happen the whole off-season is a failure. There should be lineman lining up to protect Burrow at that.
-Housh
Reply/Quote