Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Whats the minimum you will be satisfied with in FA
(02-16-2022, 11:30 AM)Au165 Wrote: In the end you have to keep drafting O line no matter the "history" because that's the way football math works. You need a couple guys on the O line on rookie deals. My logic here is Reiff should come cheap so you have a backup option if the 1st rounder isn't ready day 1, which few are, but I really like this class of very large road grading RT's.

Chavarious Ward isn't that much better than how Apple played late in the year, you get what you pay for there. Gilmore still is a top 3 corner in the league and you sign him for a 2 year run before we have to pay Joe.

I absolutely agree with continued drafting of oline, my only point is to not bet on getting a quality starter day one.  We need to be very aggressive in FA for oline.

I also agree we will have access to ring chasers.  Gilmore is an interesting option, however, a $14M price tag could get us a really good OT. 

I like Ward over Apple, not Gilmore level but young with promise. 

March will be a very interesting month for us.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:39 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The strategy IMHO is in FA get a top center. Spend the money. Resign Reiff on another friendly deal. Maybe give him a 2 year deal but at 5 million per year. Then draft a tackle but move up in the draft 10-15 spots. It’s really about numbers. I’d sign several free agents but not spend a lot of money on the OL and let them fight for roster spots

I am a huge supporter of locking in a top center. We havent had a leader at Center since Braham.   I am a bit more risk averse on the cheaper, multiple FAs fighting for spots.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:51 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I absolutely agree with continued drafting of oline, my only point is to not bet on getting a quality starter day one.  We need to be very aggressive in FA for oline.

I also agree we will have access to ring chasers.  Gilmore is an interesting option, however, a $14M price tag could get us a really good OT. 

I like Ward over Apple, not Gilmore level but young with promise. 

March will be a very interesting month for us.

In terms of a RT I think you are looking between 8-12 million. The reality is we aren't getting a guy like Armstead because there is no fit (I don't think he or Jonah are moving to RT) so then you go to the next tier. Orlando Brown isn't getting out of KC and Duane Brown is similar to Armstead in moving so we are now already into tier 2. Moses or Trent Brown are the key targets here and I think that 8-12 range could land one.

If not Gilmore we could go JC Jackson, Carlton Davis, even Darious Williams. All options that would give us an even better secondary this year. Ward is probably a 3rd tier guy for me and is only the move on a miss.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:01 AM)casear2727 Wrote: You would be ok if the Bengals signed only Morgan Moses with their cap availability?

Speaking only on the OL. I don’t think they are going to go out it and get 3 new OL to start or even 2 starters. I believe they will sign a RT and maybe depth pieces. I expect them to be patient with Carman. Might bite them in the ass but that’s what will probably happen.
Reply/Quote
We need 3 starters and we need to draft 2 backups preferrable round 1 and 2. If we don't address this Burrow may not survive his rookie contract. Burrow is better than Luck. That doesn't mean his career will be longer.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:58 AM)Au165 Wrote: In terms of a RT I think you are looking between 8-12 million. The reality is we aren't getting a guy like Armstead because there is no fit (I don't think he or Jonah are moving to RT) so then you go to the next tier. Orlando Brown isn't getting out of KC and Duane Brown is similar to Armstead in moving so we are now already into tier 2. Moses or Trent Brown are the key targets here and I think that 8-12 range could land one.

If not Gilmore we could go JC Jackson, Carlton Davis, even Darious Williams. All options that would give us an even better secondary this year. Ward is probably a 3rd tier guy for me and is only the move on a miss.

Jonah is not an elite LT by any means, he also played RT initially in college. He could slide LG as well.  Armstead is simply that good.  Thats said Im not as confident as Mike Sans that we are actively on him. 

No way KC can let Brown Jr leave. after that trade.
Duane Brown is too old in my opinion.

I agree that Trent Brown (12M) and Moses (8M) are very doable.  We could easily land one of them and a guard like Tomlinson (9M) or Daniels (10M)  for close to the price of Armstead.  I would love to add Bozeman or Jensen at Center.  Let Carmen and Zion (1st round) battle for the other Guard spot.

Although if we picked up a Conner Williams or re-sign Spain for that other Guard spot w/ Carmen, we could really blow things up and draft Trey McBride at 31 and establish a 10 year Brady-Gronk situation.

In reality I doubt half of this happens but it is nice to dream.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:01 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Speaking only on the OL. I don’t think they are going to go out it and get 3 new OL to start or even 2 starters. I believe they will sign a RT and maybe depth pieces. I expect them to be patient with Carman. Might bite them in the ass but that’s what will probably happen.

You may be right, I think it would be crazy and almost criminal, but I wouldnt be shocked.
Reply/Quote
25-30 million spent on the o line and at least attempt to land a high end CB. If one is available via draft then trade up.

The RG AND RT need to be vets but id be down for going draft to get a center of the highest rated C in the draft falls to us at 30. The pro about getting so far is it was fun the con is a team that taken wise should be drafting 18-23 is now drafting 30. That’s not good
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:11 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: We need 3 starters and we need to draft 2 backups preferrable round 1 and 2. If we don't address this Burrow may not survive his rookie contract. Burrow is better than Luck. That doesn't mean his career will be longer.

They will get 2 starters. Anything else would cause a riot in Cincinnati and even fans would turn on the organization because ppl love Burrow so much. Even our fans would start to tune out the season if we came back without 2 new starters
-Housh
Reply/Quote
3rd most money to spend? We are gonna get what we want. Not even worried 1%.. There will Be at least 2-3 meaningful Oline additions...
Reply/Quote
I agree with a lot of what people on here are saying. Go get James Daniels at Right Guard, go get Trent Brown at Right Tackle, Kick the tires at least on Connor Williams for Left Guard and bring in a starting caliber CB. I like Donte Jackson for age and experience but I could see them going after someone older if the money is too high for a younger guy. A Richard Sherman or Casey Heyward could be an option. Give me at least 2 upgraded starters on the Offensive Line and a starting CB and I will be satisfied. They do more than that even better.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
New:

- olinemen, at least 2 starters and 2 new backups

- #2 running back for 3rd/passing downs as Evans and Perine compete for that 3rd spot (I would say draft, but no one stands out that can step right in to pass block, catch, agile, etc.)(or is there one you draft gurus)

- punter as Huber had a really good run but age is finally catching up with him
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:33 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I agree with a lot of what people on here are saying. Go get James Daniels at Right Guard, go get Trent Brown at Right Tackle, Kick the tires at least on Connor Williams for Left Guard and bring in a starting caliber CB. I like Donte Jackson for age and experience but I could see them going after someone older if the money is too high for a younger guy. A Richard Sherman or Casey Heyward could be an option. Give me at least 2 upgraded starters on the Offensive Line and a starting CB and I will be satisfied. They do more than that even better.

Good stuff.  I like Dante too but his production dropped sharply this season, Im not sure why?  He ended up on IR with a groin.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:41 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Good stuff.  I like Dante too but his production dropped sharply this season, Im not sure why?  He ended up on IR with a groin.

Yeah, it wasn't his best year but he is a proven guy and assuming the medicals are good I would love to add him to Awuzie and Hilton.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:01 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Speaking only on the OL. I don’t think they are going to go out it and get 3 new OL to start or even 2 starters. I believe they will sign a RT and maybe depth pieces. I expect them to be patient with Carman. Might bite them in the ass but that’s what will probably happen.

You just made the Super Bowl and lost the game in the last 90 seconds because the OL couldn't hold up.
The window is now open.
No more waiting and hoping for a player to develop.
Fill your starting positions with players you are confident can hold down the spot from Day 1 and let the other players groom as depth.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:34 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: So we should resign Spain and Reiff while keeping Hopkins at center???  That in addition to keeping Jonah.  Im sorry but that is not going to cut it.  That line would be essentially the same O line that gave up all those sacks minus Adeniji.  We need a big overhaul on the O-line and keeping all those guys isnt going to get the job done.

You just took a bunch of people's comments about different players and somehow made it sound like everyone you quoted said the same thing...

What I would do is look to upgrade based on 2021 performance:
1) RG
2) RT
3) LG
4) C
5) LT

None of the guys on the OL are studs, but Williams and Hopkins are better than any other OL the team currently has under contract. You need to solidify RG, RT, and LG before you upgrade C and LT. So I'm ok with upgrading Hopkins or even Williams, as long as RG, LG, and RT are solidified first.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You just made the Super Bowl and lost the game in the last 90 seconds because the OL couldn't hold up.
The window is now open.
No more waiting and hoping for a player to hopefully develop.
Fill your starting positions with players you are confident can hold down the spot from Day 1 and let the other players groom as depth.

We're partially in this issue because we're patient with lineman. We draft guys or sign guys as UDFA's and try to develop them and in 3 years they still are bad. Not saying Carman won't develop, but not many of our projects have.

When you are a 6 win team you can afford to develop guys. When you lose in the SB, you can't. You need guys that can play right now.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 07:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I fear many will be underwhelmed with free agency. Some are projecting just crazy pickups but we all want to see some talent to protect Joe.

I would be happy with 2 upper level (not elite) pickups.

Bozeman at Center and Trent Brown at RT, we could easily draft a Zion or Kinnard for RG. Spain and Carmen battle for LG.

Getting 3 would be awesome or an Armstead and one more.

Im not getting my hopes up too high so I am prepared for the worst or surprised by drastic improvement.

Whats the minimum you will be satisfied with this free agency?

They have to get at least 2 O-lineman and I bet they will do so. Not tempering my expectations here. No excuses.

2 top Free Agent O-lineman and bring back Spain is the minimum. The players you mentioned should be in the running specifically
Armstead along with James Daniels, Brandon Scherff, Morgan Moses, Norwell etc. Get at least 2 of these guys preferably 3.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 02:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You just made the Super Bowl and lost the game in the last 90 seconds because the OL couldn't hold up.
The window is now open.
No more waiting and hoping for a player to hopefully develop.

We will have to wait and see. I can hope they go out and sign 2 starting OL then pick the best G/T/C/DB at pick 31. They have a lot of money and there are a few good OL in FA that could come in and start right away, and there will be guys they could pick at 31 that could start and make an impact too.
Reply/Quote
The window is now open.
No more waiting and hoping for a player to develop.

Agreed and we both like Carman, doesn't matter though, he didn't even start above Adeniji our worst OL by far.

Hopefully he can develop and be a damn good backup in case someone goes down. Right now we need top tier proven OL...

No excuses, go get'em.
Reply/Quote