Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Whats the minimum you will be satisfied with in FA
(02-15-2022, 11:15 PM)Joelist Wrote: Resign Spain (who is a good LG) and Reiff. Cut Adeniji. Then go sign an A List OG and an A List OT - and not ones past their primes. Doing this would give the line a veteran cadre behind which the draft picks can develop and be eased in.

Spain is OK. If he was good, Donald doesn’t wreck him in .5 seconds.

If he is the weak link (meaning they have 3 better new faces on the OL) that is fine. He isn’t great, but he is passable, when part of a unit.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:15 PM)Joelist Wrote: Resign Spain (who is a good LG) and Reiff. Cut Adeniji. Then go sign an A List OG and an A List OT - and not ones past their primes. Doing this would give the line a veteran cadre behind which the draft picks can develop and be eased in.

They are not cutting guys on rookie minimums. Adeniji is a 6th round pick, he did get good experience although he was horrible, he's not making enough to cut and have to replace for bench warmer depth.
Reply/Quote
Release Waynes (obviously)
See what Bates wants, but I'm willing to let him walk to protect Burrow. It would suck to see him go, but we need to protect QB1.
Re-Sign Ogunjobi
Re-Sign Spain
Keep Hopkins at C one more season. He actually did pretty damn well in pass blocking.
Sign Scherff to play RG.
Sign Trenton Brown to play RT.
Gronk. Because he's a great blocker and would help us in the redzone where we've struggled to score TD's.

Do this and I'm happy. I don't feel like this is too unrealistic. You go into the draft and take BPA at 31. That can be o-line, defense, etc. Within reason you want to take BPA. Could be a CB or edge rusher.
Reply/Quote
5 lineman and a db. Williams sucks too.

Sent from my BE2026 using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:22 PM)casear2727 Wrote: They are not cutting guys on rookie minimums. Adeniji is a 6th round pick, he did get good experience although he was horrible, he's not making enough to cut and have to replace for bench warmer depth.

Adeniji coughed up 9 sacks in limited duty. We've seen enough - he has zero ability to anchor and as such is not viable as an offensive lineman. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: Adeniji coughed up 9 sacks in limited duty. We've seen enough - he has zero ability to anchor and as such is not viable as an offensive lineman. 

He had one of the worst performance in a Super Bowl for a offensive lineman I ever seen. The fact he getting paid to play professional football is amazing.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:34 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Did the Bengals need to improve the Oline entering the 2021 season?

Does the pope shit in the woods?

I’m not sure what you’re implying. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 07:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Minimum I'll be happy with in FA is:
Re-signing Spain..

(02-15-2022, 07:22 PM)Joelist Wrote: If the re sign Spain and Reiff plus bring in real, legit NFL starters for RG and RT...

(02-15-2022, 07:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hopkins was PFF's 10th best pass-blocking center since Week 11 (inc. playoffs).
That 35th ranking is heavily skewed by his first half of the season...

I believe he was worse this year because he was still recovering from injury and that the second half of the season was more indicative of how he'll be for 2022.

(02-15-2022, 11:15 PM)Joelist Wrote: Resign Spain (who is a good LG) and Reiff. Cut Adeniji....

(02-15-2022, 11:30 PM)Takedown Wrote: Re-Sign Spain
Keep Hopkins at C one more season. He actually did pretty damn well in pass blocking.

So we should resign Spain and Reiff while keeping Hopkins at center???  That in addition to keeping Jonah.  Im sorry but that is not going to cut it.  That line would be essentially the same O line that gave up all those sacks minus Adeniji.  We need a big overhaul on the O-line and keeping all those guys isnt going to get the job done.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:20 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Spain is OK.  If he was good, Donald doesn’t wreck him in .5 seconds.  

If he is the weak link (meaning they have 3 better new faces on the OL) that is fine.  He isn’t great, but he is passable, when part of a unit.

He is not even passable.  Imagine the Bengals make it to the Super Bowl again.  It's at the end of the game and it's 4th and 1.  Spain has to block a premier D-lineman to give Burrow time to throw the ball so the Bengals can get the 1st down.   Do you trust Spain to come through in that situation?  We already know what is going to happen.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:48 PM)Joelist Wrote: Adeniji coughed up 9 sacks in limited duty. We've seen enough - he has zero ability to anchor and as such is not viable as an offensive lineman. 

Im not disagreeing with you, I just dont think they will cut him.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:34 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: So we should resign Spain and Reiff while keeping Hopkins at center???  That in addition to keeping Jonah.  Im sorry but that is not going to cut it.  That line would be essentially the same O line that gave up all those sacks minus Adeniji.  We need a big overhaul on the O-line and keeping all those guys isnt going to get the job done.

im going to disagree with this slightly. RG was the weakest spot on the line. A black hole. Improving that position with a top tier RG would improve the line greatly. Hopkins is ok, and if Reiff could stay healthy, he's whatever. He's certainly no Adeniji or Prince

but yes, at least 2 of the 3 o-line positions need improving. Expecting all 3 to be upgraded for 2022 is a bit unrealistic with this team, especially since they want to keep the defense good
Reply/Quote
That play was doomed from the start. LT turned the wrong way so when Spain angled there was no double / pickup. In any event it should have had a back next to Burrow in case of a free rusher. Poor play design.
Reply/Quote
I want Reiff resigned not necessarily to start but so that a line injury is not a catastrophe like it was. Spain (contrary to some here who are too much into PFF) IS a good Guard. Sign those two and also an in prime A List Guard and in prime A List Tackle to retool the right side (which is where virtually all the OL problems happened).

With all that said the offensive scheming needs to improve a lot also. This nonsense of the Bengals almost never running screens has to end - they need to learn how to do them and to disguise them properly as well as properly running draws. The offense needs more tools in its drawer to punish overaggressive fronts.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:44 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: im going to disagree with this slightly. RG was the weakest spot on the line. A black hole. Improving that position with a top tier RG would improve the line greatly. Hopkins is ok, and if Reiff could stay healthy, he's whatever. He's certainly no Adeniji or Prince

but yes, at least 2 of the 3 o-line positions need improving. Expecting all 3 to be upgraded for 2022 is a bit unrealistic with this team, especially since they want to keep the defense good

I want a good defense too but I also want Burrow protected.  Look at the O-line grades from the Super Bowl.   Every one of those positions did bad.  If the Bengals want to protect Burrow and win it all, they need to replace more than 1 or 2 guys on that line.  Even if it comes with letting Mixon, Boyd and Uzomah go that line needs major changes.

Think about this scenerio.  Aaron Donald is lined up somewhere along your O-line and is going to go 1 on 1 against one of them.  Burrow needs to have some time to make a throw.  Which one of the O-lineman on this team do you think could give Burrow at least a little time to make his throw if Donald lined up against them?  Personally, I think Carman would be the one.  He is raw but he did well in not allowing Burrow to get sacked this year. If I can only replace 3 of the O-line spots I would keep Carman at RG and replace C, LG and RT.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:54 AM)Joelist Wrote: I want Reiff resigned not necessarily to start but so that a line injury is not a catastrophe like it was. Spain (contrary to some here who are too much into PFF) IS a good Guard...

I want someone better than this when the game is on the line:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/can-t-miss-play-aaron-donald-s-pressure-on-burrow-seals-super-bowl-lvi-win-for-r
Reply/Quote
Starting RT, RG and CB 1
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:10 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I want someone better than this when the game is on the line:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/can-t-miss-play-aaron-donald-s-pressure-on-burrow-seals-super-bowl-lvi-win-for-r

Add a LT to the list…… That one guy just told us he was good tho!
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:07 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I want a good defense too but I also want Burrow protected.  Look at the O-line grades from the Super Bowl.   Every one of those positions did bad.  If the Bengals want to protect Burrow and win it all, they need to replace more than 1 or 2 guys on that line.  Even if it comes with letting Mixon, Boyd and Uzomah go that line needs major changes.

Think about this scenerio.  Aaron Donald is lined up somewhere along your O-line and is going to go 1 on 1 against one of them.  Burrow needs to have some time to make a throw.  Which one of the O-lineman on this team do you think could give Burrow at least a little time to make his throw if Donald lined up against them?  Personally, I think Carman would be the one.  He is raw but he did well in not allowing Burrow to get sacked this year. If I can only replace 3 of the O-line spots I would keep Carman at RG and replace C, LG and RT.

You think Carmen is our best option one on one vs AD?  Guy couldnt crack the lineup all year.  And isnt he better in run vs pass?  

It is sad we have to have this discussion and think about who we would we choose, we are simply that bad across the front, although I dont think Id choose Carmen in pass blocking as the best we have vs AD.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 12:12 AM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Does the pope shit in the woods?

I’m not sure what you’re implying. 

And how many years before that have they needed to improve the Oline? And you think they have no choice.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:16 AM)casear2727 Wrote: You think Carmen is our best option one on one vs AD?  Guy couldnt crack the lineup all year.  And isnt he better in run vs pass?  

It is sad we have to have this discussion and think about who we would we choose, we are simply that bad across the front, although I dont think Id choose Carmen in pass blocking as the best we have vs AD.

I dont think Carman is all that great right now but he has potential. I certainly would sit him on the bench for someone better but I would look to replace LG, C and RT first.  Unlike the other guys on the O line, Carman didnt give up that many sacks. PFF has him at zero which I dont think is 100% accurate but Carman did not allow a bunch of sacks in his limited opportunities.
Reply/Quote