Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Whats the minimum you will be satisfied with in FA
(02-15-2022, 10:06 PM)Webbtown Wrote: Trent Brown or Morgan Moses at RT. James Daniels or Brandon Scherff for RG. If Tyler Linderbaum is available at the end of round 1 to upgrade from Trey Hopkins great. Or if Kenyon Green is available to upgrade over Quinton Spain at the end of round 1 that great also.

This is solid and doable.  
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:54 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I want Conner Williams at left guard
I want Ryan Jensen at center.
I want Trent Brown at right tackle

I think we stay with Jonah at left tackle and I think Carman might be ok at right guard.  Carman did pretty good in pass protection this year.  If we want someone else at right guard then look at James Daniels.

Why would you have any faith in Carman he has a bad back he won't ever be dependable, as we saw when he missed the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
The problem with the cost of upgrading the O-line is that we just got a decent year out of Spain for only $1.1 million.

Mt guess is that we sign a good vet OG (or re-sign Spain), a good vet RT (not Reiff, but in the same price range), then depend on either Jackson or D'ante Smith playing RG.

We also draft an O-lineman in first 3 rounds. Probably a center unless one of the free agent signings is just another one-year deal.

And, finally, I know it is hard not to get carried away with the PFF ratings with O-linemen because there are not really many individual stats for O-linemen. With other positions that have measurable production it is easy to see that he PFF ratings are often fatally flawed.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:12 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: Why would you have any faith in Carman he has a bad back he won't ever be dependable, as we saw when he missed the Super Bowl.

That is actually going to be one of the bigger questions this offseason.

You can't judge an NFL player just on a poor rookie season, but if his back is a problem it could change everything.

As a second round pick it is reasonable to expect him to develop into a starter.  and if he is healthy it is way too soon to write him off.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:12 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: Why would you have any faith in Carman he has a bad back he won't ever be dependable, as we saw when he missed the Super Bowl.

I dont have faith in any of our O-linemen.  They have all been injured.  I would actually rather have James Daniels at right guard but I dont know if Bengals management will go out and get 4 good free agents for the O-line.   If the Bengals dont go out and get quality free agents then just stick to what we have.  It doesnt make sense to me to spend 4-5 million on a free agent thats going to give up 5+ sacks when we already have those type players on the roster.  Your not improving the Oline doing this.  Spend a little more money and get a quality free agent.
Reply/Quote
Williams/Reif were not great but the biggest problem for Burrow all season was pressure up the middle. That's the priority.

A major upgrade to both starting guards and get one backup no worse than the current starters (Spain). Add a tackled that can compete with Rief for the starting spot and play LT if necessary. That avoids the precipitous drop off from a single injury.

Sign at least one of these guard upgrades before the draft. Then you have to be active in the draft and do what it takes to get someone you have high confidence can do the job. 31 this year and 32 next year would be worth getting a starting guard or good backup tackle.

Then get the remaining piece in FA after the draft.
Target the other guard or tackle in
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 07:23 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Well, you’re right, it is the Bengals. But for anyone not willing to go out of their way to purposely shoot themselves in the foot, and I don’t think the Bengals are willing to do that, they would consider it a no-brainer and a necessity. 

Did the Bengals need to improve the Oline entering the 2021 season?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The problem with the cost of upgrading the O-line is that we just got a decent year out of Spain for only $1.1 million.

Mt guess is that we sign a good vet OG (or re-sign Spain), a good vet RT (not Reiff, but in the same price range), then depend on either Jackson or D'ante Smith playing RG.

We also draft an O-lineman in first 3 rounds. Probably a center unless one of the free agent signings is just another one-year deal.

And, finally, I know it is hard not to get carried away with the PFF ratings with O-linemen because there are not really many individual stats for O-linemen. With other positions that have measurable production it is easy to see that he PFF ratings are often fatally flawed.

The problem with the cost of not upgrading the OL is burrow going down with injury. We got extremely lucky these playoffs. Burrow couldn’t finish the raiders game, and now is going through rehab.

Whatever the cost is to field the best 5 players you pay it. This is a limited window for the bengals. Once burrows 2nd contract kicks in 2-3 years away… you won’t have this luxury.

Get the best LT and Best IOL at whatever the cost. Then you have something to work with.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:41 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Walter football.com has the bengals picking Nick Petit-Frere, OT, Ohio State….please no more OSU lineman. There has been three in the past year and one damn near killed the franchise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scout the player. Not the helmet.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals are projected to have about $58 million in cap space and could gain another $10 by releasing Trae Waynes. So that is $68 million. But we also only have 35 players under contract for next year.  And look at the starters and other main contributors we will have to replace.

Reiff, starter
Ogunjobi, starter
Uzomah, starter
Bates, starter
Spain, starter
Apple, starter

B.J. Hill, 50% of snaps
Tupou, 40% of snaps

We are not going to have as much money to spend as a lot of people think

Would Apple be a starter if Waynes was healthy?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:41 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Get the best LT and Best IOL at whatever the cost.  Then you have something to work with.

We just can't do that.  We ahve a lot of cap space but we also have a lot of starters to replace.

And we only had about $6 million in cap unused cap space to roll over last year.  So we could not have signed those $15-$20 million free agents every one was screaming for last off season.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:44 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Would Apple be a starter if Waynes was healthy?

In my scenario Waynes is released to save us $10 million in cap space.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In my scenario Waynes is released to save us $10 million in cap space.

Gotcha.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We just can't do that.  We ahve a lot of cap space but we also have a lot of starters to replace.

And we only had about $6 million in cap unused cap space to roll over last year.  So we could not have signed those $15-$20 million free agents every one was screaming for last off season.

Listen, this is old Bengals speak. You can play around with salary cap. Just because the bengals historically front loaded contracts doesn’t mean that’s the only way to be done. It’s time to throw conservative out the window. The window is open and small. 3 years before it gets EXPONENTIALLY harder.

If you can afford reader and Hendrickson on thr DL? You can do the same on the OL. Fred, 3rd highest cap space. Dudes like Spain? Prince? They are not much of an upgrade over a practice squad dude. We literally rotated RGs in the playoffs. They are not worth more
Than minimum.

With your most expensive players on rookie contracts (burrow, chase, Higgins) you can NOT squander
This.

Please realize the bengals DO and CAN overhaul
Their OL.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In my scenario Waynes is released to save us $10 million in cap space.

The rams are “up against the cap” but they could do some easy restructuring and be in good cap shape. Lol. This is what I’m
Talking about when I say, the bengals can do a lot. Anything else is just nonsense, and taking advantage of uneducated fans.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/15/rams-in-solid-salary-cap-shape-to-make-a-run-at-a-repeat-in-2022/
Reply/Quote
We need a big o lineman signing, I’d sign 2 proven guys actually. Then draft one.
Reply/Quote
What are you gonna do if they don’t meet your minimum?
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:08 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: We need a big o lineman signing, I’d sign 2 proven guys actually. Then draft one.

Yep, minimum. It’s ok to have a camp battle, or two. But you can’t have multiple camp battles for starting spots at one position group. Especially the one that is used to protect the future of this team.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What are you gonna do if they don’t meet your minimum?

Understand this year was fluky and that they really are not interested in winning. It’s so obvious to see and easy to fix. This team could
Be a juggernaut… or not.

If we resign a reiff type and rely on the draft, this team is letting down the city, the players and coaches. I suppose it “could” still work out. But if you shore up the OL in FA, it allows
You to continue to build for The future with the draft.
Reply/Quote
Resign Spain (who is a good LG) and Reiff. Cut Adeniji. Then go sign an A List OG and an A List OT - and not ones past their primes. Doing this would give the line a veteran cadre behind which the draft picks can develop and be eased in.
Reply/Quote