Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Whats the minimum you will be satisfied with in FA
They need to make a big money/name signing on the oline. They have to. Our right side is beyond weak. They need to poney up and get the best guy out there. Of course there is more to do. But that is what they need to do-get one of the top guys on the market with great character, great game, and ready to help us win it all. Once they do that, the rest will fall into place.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 07:11 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: They’ll get him an OL. They have no choice. 

They had no choice after his injury, guess what happened? The line was just as bad this year as last year. I thought for sure his knee got destroyed again, I yelled as loud as I could "if his knee is shredded I'm done with this team!". Can't believe they did'nt run less empty backfields.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 07:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think that answer lies in the cost it will be to actually make an elite OL, and knowing that to accomplish that could require allowing some decline in the defense since there's only so much cap space.

We all WANT an elite OL, but we're trying to be realistic in what the Bengals could do without sacrificing too much on defense, as well as knowing they haven't gone that big on offense in FA during Taylor's tenure. Biggest FA signing on offense was Reiff, which was just $7.5 mill.

I don't care what happens to the defense. I want Burrow protected & if he's protected better we're gonna be unstoppable on offense.
';
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 07:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I fear many will be underwhelmed with free agency. Some are projecting just crazy pickups but we all want to see some talent to protect Joe.

I would be happy with 2 upper level (not elite) pickups.

Bozeman at Center and Trent Brown at RT, we could easily draft a Zion or Kinnard for RG. Spain and Carmen battle for LG.

Getting 3 would be awesome or an Armstead and one more.

Im not getting my hopes up too high so I am prepared for the worst or surprised by drastic improvement.

Whats the minimum you will be satisfied with this free agency?

Yep

Two upper tier Olinemen
Reply/Quote
Bringing the bulk of our key guys back. Spain, Bates, Apple, either Larry or Hill, CJ, etc.

Then signing one or two clear upgrades at C/RG/RT. Maybe a mid level CB depending on how the FA OL goes.

Follow it up with a solid draft. I know some want to trade up but I’d rather move back a bit if we can pick up extra picks in rounds 2-4. Stock up in those rounds and fill out the depth on this team with high potential guys who can be backups or role players early on and be starters by year 3-4 when we will be spending a lot more on Burrow/Higgins/Chase.
Reply/Quote
I'm happy with the best OLine signings that are proven using the blocking schemes we use. Making a big splash with an all pro that has never blocked using our wide zone scheme to me is too risky.

Outside of that, sign our free agents that we want to keep around and use the draft to try and find a 1st year starter in round 1. A potential 1st year starter in round 2 and then focus on depth.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
It’s not the best free agent class but signing Brandon Scherff alone would make me happy he’s a top RG. After Scherff I actually like Laken Tomlinson 2nd best, Norwell has been on the decline. I’m keeping Johan at LT not replacing him with older LT’s like Armstead. RT is slim pickings Trenton Brown is the best option but has trouble staying on the field with injuries but I’d still sign him. Orlando Brown isn’t leaving KC franchised tagged at worse. Like Jenson at center but my gut tells me there sticking with Hopkins.

LT - Williams
LG Spain / Jackson
C -Hopkins
RG - Scherff
RT - Trenton Brown
Reply/Quote
Scherff gets franchise tagged like every year. But yeah, he's my #1 choice too.
Reply/Quote
Didn't we pass on Orlando Brown in the draft too one year? Like multiple times?
Reply/Quote
Min?

Tag Bates
Re-Sign Hill or Larry O
Re-sign Tupou
Re-Sign CJ
Cut Waynes (sign a top CB, or at worst re-sign Apple. I know, I know).

Sign 2 starting guards (may include Spain, but open to an upgrade)
Sign a Center to challenge Hopkins and maybe take his spot allowing for him to be cut and saving that money (also allowing to draft a center and not rush him)
Sign a starting RT
Sign a kick returner

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Didn't we pass on Orlando Brown in the draft too one year? Like multiple times?

2018 draft

#21 - Billy Price
#54 - Jessie Bates
#77 - Sam Hubbard
#78 - Malik Jefferson

Pick #83 - Ravens got Orlando Brown
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 08:18 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lol, we are so terrible at drafting Oline….

I agree.  That's why we need to upgrade the line with proven free agents.   We cant afford to miss again on a draft pick and have Burrow get pummeled every game.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 08:18 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lol, we are so terrible at drafting Oline….

Walter football.com has the bengals picking Nick Petit-Frere, OT, Ohio State….please no more OSU lineman. There has been three in the past year and one damn near killed the franchise

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
1.) Keep the defense intact by keeping Bates and keeping one of the Hill/Larry OG combo.

2.) Sign 1 or 2 free agents on the IOL. Ben Jones C from the Titans and James Daniels RG from the Bears.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I want Conner Williams at left guard
I want Ryan Jensen at center.
I want Trent Brown at right tackle

I think we stay with Jonah at left tackle and I think Carman might be ok at right guard. Carman did pretty good in pass protection this year. If we want someone else at right guard then look at James Daniels.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:54 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I want Conner Williams at left guard
I want Ryan Jensen at center.
I want Trent Brown at right tackle

I think we stay with Jonah at left tackle and I think Carman might be ok at right guard.  Carman did pretty good in pass protection this year.  If we want someone else at right guard then look at James Daniels.

Williams and Daniel's at Guard would be amazing.
Reply/Quote
Trent Brown or Morgan Moses at RT. James Daniels or Brandon Scherff for RG. If Tyler Linderbaum is available at the end of round 1 to upgrade from Trey Hopkins great. Or if Kenyon Green is available to upgrade over Quinton Spain at the end of round 1 that great also.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are projected to have about $58 million in cap space and could gain another $10 by releasing Trae Waynes. So that is $68 million. But we also only have 35 players under contract for next year.  And look at the starters and other main contributors we will have to replace.

Reiff, starter
Ogunjobi, starter
Uzomah, starter
Bates, starter
Spain, starter
Apple, starter

B.J. Hill, 50% of snaps
Tupou, 40% of snaps

We are not going to have as much money to spend as a lot of people think
Reply/Quote
If we're just talking o-line, RG needs upgrading, and whoever the best available player is whether it be a RT or C

so RG for sure, and I'd be fine with improving one of the other 2 spots
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 09:42 PM)J24 Wrote: 1.) Keep the defense intact by keeping Bates and keeping one of the Hill/Larry OG combo.

2.) Sign 1 or 2 free agents on the IOL. Ben Jones C from the Titans and James Daniels RG from the Bears.

Jones is solid but already 33.
Reply/Quote