Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Whats the minimum you will be satisfied with in FA
Two more veteran, starting-quality OL, AT LEAST. Maybe even 3, or 4. The biggest priority is clearly to protect the franchise quarterback. Doesn't need any more explaining. Norwell for LG, Bozeman or Ben Jones for C (cut Hopkins, either is a clear upgrade, sorry I know he is well liked by many fans but that's the truth), and maybe pony up the cash for Scherff at RG and/or swing a trade for a veteran.

Gronkowski - Absolutely! Uzomah has been good but when there's a Hall of Famer available in FA, and one who actually wants to play with your franchise QB, you go out and get him.

I want an upgrade at CB1. Awuzie can shut down anyone's WR2 and Hilton is a beast in the slot but please no more Eli Apple guarding the other team's WR1. If Apple and the Bengals mutually want a reasonable 1-year deal to keep him as a depth player I'm okay, since I do think he has a role on an NFL team, but he is not an NFL starter.
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 07:03 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I fear many will be underwhelmed with free agency. Some are projecting just crazy pickups but we all want to see some talent to protect Joe.

I would be happy with 2 upper level (not elite) pickups.

Bozeman at Center and Trent Brown at RT, we could easily draft a Zion or Kinnard for RG. Spain and Carmen battle for LG.

Getting 3 would be awesome or an Armstead and one more.

Im not getting my hopes up too high so I am prepared for the worst or surprised by drastic improvement.

Whats the minimum you will be satisfied with this free agency?

After seeing this OL in the playoffs, they honestly need either 2 A tier FA's or 3 B tier FA's to make me satisfied.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 10:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals are projected to have about $58 million in cap space and could gain another $10 by releasing Trae Waynes. So that is $68 million. But we also only have 35 players under contract for next year.  And look at the starters and other main contributors we will have to replace.

Reiff, starter
Ogunjobi, starter
Uzomah, starter
Bates, starter
Spain, starter
Apple, starter

B.J. Hill, 50% of snaps
Tupou, 40% of snaps

We are not going to have as much money to spend as a lot of people think

Thing is, 9 teams are already over the projected cap per Spotrac.  Then there are another 6 with less than $10 mil to spend.  That's 15 teams that are going to have to do major restructuring and/or cuts to be able to make any kind of move at all.  

Another thing to consider is that there will be quality vets willing to sign on the cheap for a chance to chase a ring. That makes it easier to fill out your depth chart and plug a couple of holes in your starting lineup.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:25 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And how many years before that have they needed to improve the Oline? And you think they have no choice.

That was then, this is now. 
Reply/Quote
Spend big on OLine FAs, bring back Andy Dalton as QB2 just in case, resign Bates
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 11:06 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: The rams are “up against the cap” but they could do some easy restructuring and be in good cap shape.  Lol.  This is what I’m
Talking about when I say, the bengals can do a lot.  Anything else is just nonsense, and taking advantage of uneducated fans.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/15/rams-in-solid-salary-cap-shape-to-make-a-run-at-a-repeat-in-2022/

It is not nearly as simple as this article makes it sound.

The only "uneducated" fans out there are no such thing as free agents released because of salary cap issues.  They have no clue that a term called "cap casualty" even exists.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 09:28 AM)fredtoast Wrote: It is not nearly as simple as this article makes it sound.

The only "uneducated" fans out there are no such thing as free agents released because of salary cap issues.  They have no clue that a term called "cap casualty" even exists.

This offseason is different than ever before. The bengals have to, must, do everything go fix the OL. They may have to rob Peter to pay Paul. It just so happens that it coincides with burrows rookie contract, making it as palatable as ever.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 01:07 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I want a good defense too but I also want Burrow protected.  Look at the O-line grades from the Super Bowl.   Every one of those positions did bad.  If the Bengals want to protect Burrow and win it all, they need to replace more than 1 or 2 guys on that line.  Even if it comes with letting Mixon, Boyd and Uzomah go that line needs major changes.

Think about this scenerio.  Aaron Donald is lined up somewhere along your O-line and is going to go 1 on 1 against one of them.  Burrow needs to have some time to make a throw.  Which one of the O-lineman on this team do you think could give Burrow at least a little time to make his throw if Donald lined up against them?  Personally, I think Carman would be the one.  He is raw but he did well in not allowing Burrow to get sacked this year. If I can only replace 3 of the O-line spots I would keep Carman at RG and replace C, LG and RT.

Aaron Donald is gone. No need to worry about him anymore, he is retiring. So is Whitworth. Miller isn't far behind them. LA can't sustain their success with the team they built. Most of their players are on their way or close to on their way out the door, including Stafford, and they don't have a 1st round pick until 2024.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 07:22 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Morgan Moses & James Daniel as starters on the line, particularly the right side.

I’d even be OK if they just sign Morgan Moses. They can’t trot out Prince or a rookie next year and think Burrow and the fans will be excited.

God, if they can draft Linderbaum. Maybe try to trade up a few picks if he makes it to the 20s.

I think they will be patient with Carman. A lot of fans might be upset with that, but his ceiling is high enough and there were real flashes of him being an upper tier guard that I think they will keep progressing him. I think D’ante Smith may also play a roll in these decisions. But they HAVE TO get a quality RT.

Think they re sign Eli, but go looking for a better CB in the first 2 rounds or find a young one in FA. Kinda hope a quality DT falls to them too, particularly a 3t as I think keeping Larry or BJ will be high on there priority list, as well as Bates, but keeping all 3 wont be feasible.

Edit: Ossai comes back next season. Pretty excited about that. A Lb/DE hybrid who can pass rush will really help too.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 10:14 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I’d even be OK if they just sign Morgan Moses. They can’t trot out Prince or a rookie next year and think Burrow and the fans will be excited.

God, if they can draft Linderbaum. Maybe try to trade up a few picks if he makes it to the 20s.

I think they will be patient with Carman. A lot of fans might be upset with that, but his ceiling is high enough and there were real flashes of him being an upper tier guard that I think they will keep progressing him. I think D’ante Smith may also play a roll in these decisions. But they HAVE TO get a quality RT.

Think they re sign Eli, but go looking for a better CB in the first 2 rounds or find a young one in FA. Kinda hope a quality DT falls to them too, particularly a 3t as I think keeping Larry or BJ will be high on there priority list, as well as Bates, but keeping all 3 wont be feasible.

Burrow is NOW. He was NFL-ready from Day 1. We need a line to match that as well. You see how good he is with a bad OLine. Imagine he had one or two more seconds to deliver. The only development I am accepting is on the bench. Anyone else on the field better be ready to give him those extra 2 seconds.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 10:06 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Aaron Donald is gone. No need to worry about him anymore, he is retiring. So is Whitworth. Miller isn't far behind them. LA can't sustain their success with the team they built. Most of their players are on their way or close to on their way out the door, including Stafford, and they don't have a 1st round pick until 2024.

I dont think AD is retiring, he actually never actually said that, this seems to be about him wanting his contract restructured.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 10:14 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: I’d even be OK if they just sign Morgan Moses. They can’t trot out Prince or a rookie next year and think Burrow and the fans will be excited.

Edit: Ossai comes back next season. Pretty excited about that. A Lb/DE hybrid who can pass rush will really help too.

You would be ok if the Bengals signed only Morgan Moses with their cap availability?
Reply/Quote
I'm going to be the weird one here and say....
  • I want Stephon Gilmore to come in and give us the best secondary in the NFL (with Re-signing Bates).
  • I'd love to get Moses or Trent Brown at Tackle but if we have to fall back to Reiff and he is healthy I am okay with that as the RT options at 31 will actually be pretty good I think.
  • At guard I am looking at Tomlinson and Daniels and hoping Carman can be the 6th man next year.
  • If Norwell is willing to come back to Ohio for a run on a cheap deal I would swap him in for Spain., if not I am okay going back to Spain.
We are going to need some ring chasing discounts potentially but I think we can get it done math wise. People are all about the O line which I understand, but I think we have a unique opportunity to make the defense an elite level with a single high end CB and I don't think we want to waste that opportunity. Obviously we need to do something on the O line but don't sleep on corner either. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'm going to be the weird one here and say....

• I want Stephon Gilmore to come in and give us the best secondary in the NFL (with Re-signing Bates).
  • I'd love to get Moses or Trent Brown at Tackle but if we have to fall back to Reiff and he is healthy I am okay with that as the RT options at 31 will actually be pretty good I think.
  • At guard I am looking at Tomlinson and Daniels and hoping Carman can be the 6th man next year.
  • If Norwell is willing to come back to Ohio for a run on a cheap deal I would swap him in for Spain., if not I am okay going back to Spain.
We are going to need some ring chasing discounts potentially but I think we can get it done math wise. People are all about the O line which I understand, but I think we have a unique opportunity to make the defense an elite level with a single high end CB and I don't think we want to waste that opportunity. Obviously we need to do something on the O line but don't sleep on corner either. 

I haven't even considered Gilmore. I'm down. That secondary would be nice. I'm not against re-signing Reiff, but yes, that means you almost have to take a RT at 31. We need someone who can fill a spot if someone goes down. 
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:16 AM)Au165 Wrote: I'm going to be the weird one here and say....

I like your thinking. 

Side note, you make a lot of good posts that, at least to me, are sound in understanding plays on the field. Have you just educated yourself a lot about on field plays or have you ever had a connection the the game as coach or maybe played college ball or something? Hell, maybe you just play a lot of Madden for all I know, but anyhow I enjoy your posts.

Gilmore, Bates, & Bell would be a scary secondary unit. You could even add a good rookie with pick 31 to the group.
Reply/Quote

As for me, I am done counting on this FO drafting a ready to play starting lineman. In the last 10 years only Jonah has been solid.  That's a terrible track record..  Tomlinson and Daniels would be solid pickups.

As to CB we could actually get 25 year old Chiefs starting CB Chavarious Ward for at least 5M per year cheaper than Gilmore who is over 30.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:22 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I like your thinking. 

Side note, you make a lot of good posts that, at least to me, are sound in understanding plays on the field. Have you just educated yourself a lot about on field plays or have you ever had a connection the the game as coach or maybe played college ball or something? Hell, maybe you just play a lot of Madden for all I know, but anyhow I enjoy your posts.

Gilmore, Bates, & Bell would be a scary secondary unit. You could even add a good rookie with pick 31 to the group.

I played through HS but didn't understand the X's and O's at a high level until later from becoming a film nerd in college after I had stopped playing. A chance encounter in college got me connected with someone in the NFL and that then allowed me to network with a couple other people in various roles (Players, scouts, national writers). Now I get to bounce ideas and thoughts off people and get the occasional inside info from people, but most the schematic stuff comes from watching a lot of film and learning from a lot of guys who break it down and go over how to break it down.
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:26 AM)Au165 Wrote: I played through HS but didn't understand the X's and O's at a high level until later from becoming a film nerd in college after I had stopped playing. A chance encounter in college got me connected with someone in the NFL and that then allowed me to network with a couple other people in various roles (Players, scouts, national writers). Now I get to bounce ideas and thoughts off people and get the occasional inside info from people, but most the schematic stuff comes from watching a lot of film and learning from a lot of guys who break it down and go over how to break it down.

I appreciate you sharing a peak into your personal life. Most threads on this forum, and I like this, are fun as informal chat sessions with fellow Bengals fans, but when I stumble across a post you make I walk away being more educated about the on field plays and game of football. Thank you!  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2022, 11:25 AM)casear2727 Wrote: As for me, I am done counting on this FO drafting a ready to play starting lineman. In the last 10 years only Jonah has been solid.  That's a terrible track record..  Tomlinson and Daniels would be solid pickups.

As to CB we could actually get 25 year old Chiefs starting CB Chavarious Ward for at least 5M per year cheaper than Gilmore who is over 30.

In the end you have to keep drafting O line no matter the "history" because that's the way football math works. You need a couple guys on the O line on rookie deals. My logic here is Reiff should come cheap so you have a backup option if the 1st rounder isn't ready day 1, which few are, but I really like this class of very large road grading RT's.

Chavarious Ward isn't that much better than how Apple played late in the year, you get what you pay for there. Gilmore still is a top 3 corner in the league and you sign him for a 2 year run before we have to pay Joe.
Reply/Quote
The strategy IMHO is in FA get a top center. Spend the money. Resign Reiff on another friendly deal. Maybe give him a 2 year deal but at 5 million per year. Then draft a tackle but move up in the draft 10-15 spots. It’s really about numbers. I’d sign several free agents but not spend a lot of money on the OL and let them fight for roster spots
Reply/Quote