'13.. L Bal  22-95
'14.. W Bal 20-110
'14.. W Atl 32-169
'14.. T Car 22-157
'15.. W SD  23-139
'15.. W Sea  20-101
'17.. W Det  30-168
Reply/Quote
Oh wow. Didn’t realize Gio had that many 100 yd games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 06:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Oh wow. Didn’t realize Gio had that many 100 yd games.

That is yards from scrimmage (rushing + receiving).

Bernard has a total of 13 games with 100+ yards from scrimmage since '13 (more than Green-Ellis, Hill, and Mixon combined).  Bengals are 8-4-1 in those games.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 06:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals are 6-1-1

'13.. W Buf  20 touches 100 yds
'13.. L Bal  22-95
'14.. W Bal 20-110
'14.. W Atl 32-169
'14.. T Car 22-157
'15.. W SD  23-139
'15.. W Sea  20-101
'17.. W Det  30-168

Sweet cherry picked stats bro.  Ninja

On a more related note I have full faith that the run game will survive at least 2 weeks without Mixon. I wouldn't want 16 games as Gio being the bellcow but he's certainly capable for a few games.
Reply/Quote
One does not simply dismiss Giovani Bernard.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 06:51 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Sweet cherry picked stats bro.  Ninja

On a more related note I have full faith that the run game will survive at least 2 weeks without Mixon. I wouldn't want 16 games as Gio being the bellcow but he's certainly capable for a few games.

Giovanni Bernard is more than capable of taking over a game.  He could easily be the featured back, on several teams.  Have you ever wondered why the Bengals pay him so well, to be the 3rd down, change of pace back?  It's because he's a capable starter.  Now, if you pound him up the gut all season long, he's probably going to get injured.  But like you said, for a couple weeks?  He can handle the load.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
It's really funny, all offseason and preseason, all we heard was how Bernard was the best back on the team, and needs more carries. Now that Mixon's down for a game or two, the discussion is can he carry the load. Of course he can, and has. Gio is fantastic. They just need to call the right runs for him and not send him up the middle all the time.
Reply/Quote
Gio destroyed a very similar color scheme Lions team last year. Let's hope that comes out against Carolina.

I have that sneaky suspicion that the league will be out to hand the Panthers one post-Florence like what happened to the NY teams post 9/11, the Pats winning it all that year, and the Saints post-Katrina. I sure hope not.
Reply/Quote
I have complete confidence Gio can exploit any rushing lanes opened up. Carson is a good back in his own right.

We'll be ok until Mixon gets back.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 06:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Oh wow. Didn’t realize Gio had that many 100 yd games.

8 100 yard games over 5 plus years. So, not even twice a year.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 09:48 AM)BengalChris Wrote: 8 100 yard games over 5 plus years. So, not even twice a year.

he hasn't gotten the kind of carrys to get there either though
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 09:48 AM)BengalChris Wrote: 8 100 yard games over 5 plus years. So, not even twice a year.

And that was when he was behind the depth chart of Jeremy Hill and Mixon.  When he has gotten opportunities, he has made the most of it. 

I also really like Gio as a receiving threat....
Reply/Quote
I'm sure Lazor knows that Gio isn't a 220lbs bruiser, that's gonna be able to pound it up the middle all game. I think this actually helps us, should make play action more part of the game. Slip Gio thru the line for those 5 yrd catches and let him break some LBer ankles!
Reply/Quote
Stats like this are interesting, but ultimately have no bearing on the gameplan.

It's like those stats that say if you run it 25+ times, you win 80% of the time. People take them and say "well, then you need to call at least 25 run plays a game to raise our chances of winning!"

A Classic case of correlation being confused for causality. In reality, the reason you win 80% of the games in which you run the ball 25 times or more is because running the ball is something you do when you have the lead and are trying to burn clock.

So by running it 25 times or more, you are likely already ahead in those games, meaning the 20% of the time you lose is actually a situation where you had the lead and choked it away despite trying to run the clock out by running the ball 25+ times.
Reply/Quote
Without 3 & outs, Gio can do it all.
Reply/Quote
I like Gio but man is he ever overrated sometimes. Every time he's had an opportunity to take over as lead back, he's either gotten injured or just disappointed. I've seen this guy compared to LeSean McCoy which is homerism at it's finest. Bernard is closer to Darren Sproles, but I wouldn't quite put him on Sproles level. He's not as explosive or as versatile as a prime Sproles.

He has value for sure and I love having him as a backup, but I do think we overpaid a bit, considering Gio is the 15th highest paid RB currently.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I love Gio, but man am I going to miss Mixon these next few games. He's the #2 rusher in the league right now.

Can't wait till he comes back, because our offense is different without him.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2018, 06:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengals are 6-1-1

'13.. W Buf  20 touches 100 yds
'13.. L Bal  22-95
'14.. W Bal 20-110
'14.. W Atl 32-169
'14.. T Car 22-157
'15.. W SD  23-139
'15.. W Sea  20-101
'17.. W Det  30-168

Watch him behind a capable run blocking O-line.... Ninja
Reply/Quote
So I'm guessing we'll see a bit of Whalton and Carson spelling Gio every now and then? They both had their moments in pre-season.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 12:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I like Gio but man is he ever overrated sometimes. Every time he's had an opportunity to take over as lead back, he's either gotten injured or just disappointed. I've seen this guy compared to LeSean McCoy which is homerism at it's finest. Bernard is closer to Darren Sproles, but I wouldn't quite put him on Sproles level. He's not as explosive or as versatile as a prime Sproles.

He has value for sure and I love having him as a backup, but I do think we overpaid a bit, considering Gio is the 15th highest paid RB currently.

He is probably overpaid, but only because he just happens to be here and not being fully utilized like he should have been. Put him on a team like the Saints, Eagles, Patriots, etc., then he wouldn't be overpaid.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote