Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Will Marjuana Be Legalized?
(05-31-2018, 04:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I've never understood the law against prostitution.  I can see ordinances against hanging out on the street soliciting, but the rest is just nonsense.

I think it has to do with health and not about sex but I could be wrong.
(05-31-2018, 02:36 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Yes, federal agents can go into, shutdown and confiscate all marijuana products. Problem is, not enough federal agents to enforce the law by themselves. They rely on local support and cooperation, that’s what has been legally removed by the states legalizing it.

It is a complicated issue.  The Federal Budget includes a provision called the Rohrabacher-Farr Amendment.  It states that none of the money appropriated under the current budget can be used by the DOJ to prosecute medical marijuana operations that are complying with their state law.  I believe medical marijuana is allowed in some form in about 33 states now.  So they can still bust recreational users (legal in about 8 states plus D.C), and they can bust medical operations that are not complying with their state laws.  But medical use is pretty well protected from federal prosecution

But that amendment is only good from one year to the next.  It is not a law, but it has been included in every federal budget since '14.
Blows my mind we are racking up a huge deficit and instead of taxing the number one cash crop in the country and reversing that trend we are spending to lock people up and prosecute for plant possession.

Legalize it. Fix social security with the funds and dump the rest into healthcare and infrastructure.

Hell i would be on board with blowing money on a Trump branded solar powered wall if it meant legalizing it, fixing ss and healthcare with the tax proceeds and getting people out of jail for smoking the ganj
It will be legal once enough people with money secure the ability to make more money by legalizing it start investing in lawmakers. Whether it’s by buying up cheap farmland to grow it, securing legislation it can only be processed at authorized facilities (and having enough clout to get the no bid contract for those facilities), etc.

Big pharma is a huge lobby. It’s going to take someone with tons of bribes off the anticipated revenue to get marijuana cleared. But I think McConnell and others are letting people know that’s something on the table.... if the price is right.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-01-2018, 12:36 PM)Benton Wrote: It will be legal once enough people with money secure the ability to make more money by legalizing it start investing in lawmakers. Whether it’s by buying up cheap farmland to grow it, securing legislation it can only be processed at authorized facilities (and having enough clout to get the no bid contract for those facilities), etc.

Big pharma is a huge lobby. It’s going to take someone with tons of bribes off the anticipated revenue to get marijuana cleared. But I think McConnell and others are letting people know that’s something on the table.... if the price is right.

Seems like it would be a natural fit, and feasible transition for big tobacco?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(06-01-2018, 12:36 PM)Benton Wrote: Big pharma is a huge lobby. It’s going to take someone with tons of bribes off the anticipated revenue to get marijuana cleared. But I think McConnell and others are letting people know that’s something on the table.... if the price is right.

Big pharma will just start growing their own weed.
(06-01-2018, 12:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Seems like it would be a natural fit, and feasible transition for big tobacco?

For the industrial hemp side, that’s been why Comer in Kentucky has been pushing it, back when he was our ag commissioner. Basically his stance was “we’ve got empty fields growing crops that make a third of what tobacco did, fill them with hemp and well maybe we can get some light manufacturing based off it.”
(06-01-2018, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Big pharma will just start growing their own weed.

Yup, but that takes time. You don’t just go out and buy hundreds of thousands of acres overnight. Big pharma will get there, but they need time to get there.
(06-01-2018, 12:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Big pharma will just start growing their own weed.

Yup, but that takes time. You don’t just go out and buy hundreds of thousands of acres overnight. Big pharma will get there, but they need time to get there.

Yeah, but they won't have the control over it that they do pharmaceuticals. Marijuana is referred to as weed for a reason; it is ridiculously easy to grow. If it is made legal then there are a lot of people that will be able to grow it. Pharma can't keep their control on the supply.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
To be blunt about this, its high time for the feds and states to hash out laws to legalize it once and for all.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(06-01-2018, 05:58 PM)Millhouse Wrote: To be blunt about this, its high time for the feds and states to hash out laws to legalize it once and for all.

The situation is ridiculous.