Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When the Backups Play Better Than the Starters.
(10-26-2020, 12:15 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: That holding call was bullshit

Now, I don't record and re-watch the games to closely inspect moments that I find to be suspect.  So, if anyone here does closely review and scrutinize the games, please share your findings with us.  Joe
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 07:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We saw it with our own eyes, didn’t we?  When Jonah Williams, Trey Hopkins, and Bobby Hart left the game due to injury the offensive line got better — and this shouldn’t be the case.  Let’s carefully examine why it happened.

Why did an offensive line comprised of Fred Johnson, Michael Jordan, Billy Price, Alex Redmond, and Hakeem Adeniji show improvement over the starters?  The starters get more snaps in practice so if backup players outplay the starters it means the snaps in practice are unproductive.  It means the starters are practicing bad habits.  

This is not a new issue with the Bengals.  For decades we’ve seen backups come off the bench and outplay starters at every position.  This is because all the good habits from college and from other teams haven’t been coached out of the backups yet.

They did the job, but there's a couple of things to keep in mind.  First, they changed up their play calling to try and help the line out with reverses, throw back passes, etc.  Second, they were sustaining drives, which tires out the defense, and they had the advantage of coming in fresh.  
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:25 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Price is most likely a better C than he is a G. Its been a while since we'e really seen him at C, maybe he will play better if Hopkins is out more than just today. Fred Johnson is obviously a better OT than he is a G. No doubt about it.

This.  And there is little film on Fred at tackle and none on Adeniji.   I was really pleased with how Johnson and Adeniji looked in limited snaps at tackle.   Seemed like Jordan had a better game this week too after I'd pretty much given up on him.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Now, I don't record and re-watch the games to closely inspect moments that I find to be suspect.  So, if anyone here does closely review and scrutinize the games, please share your findings with us.  Joe

Not sure if it's the one being talked about but one time, he grabbed the dude and slung him to the ground. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 07:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: We saw it with our own eyes, didn’t we? When Jonah Williams, Trey Hopkins, and Bobby Hart left the game due to injury the offensive line got better — and this shouldn’t be the case. Let’s carefully examine why it happened.

Why did an offensive line comprised of Fred Johnson, Michael Jordan, Billy Price, Alex Redmond, and Hakeem Adeniji show improvement over the starters? The starters get more snaps in practice so if backup players outplay the starters it means the snaps in practice are unproductive. It means the starters are practicing bad habits.

This is not a new issue with the Bengals. For decades we’ve seen backups come off the bench and outplay starters at every position. This is because all the good habits from college and from other teams haven’t been coached out of the backups yet.

This is a bold statement

Some would even say it’s a LIE

This team absolutely does not have guys come off the bench and play better than the starters

The backups came in and held fort just like the starters were doing. This line has been much improved since the Baltimore game.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Well, those backup OL sure did earn us a victory, today! Cool

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, those backup OL sure did earn us a victory, today!   Cool

Damn straight!
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:17 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, those backup OL sure did earn us a victory, today! Cool

This should be the starting offensive line. Period.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:22 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This should be the starting offensive line.  Period.

No thanks I want to see Williams and Hopkins back in there. The Titians Defendive line is nothing compared to the Steeler's Defensive Line.

Let's not jump the gun.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Regardless, the o line today should get the game ball. They played out of their mind. Great game as a group!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Played very well, but this board has crowned the O-Line before, just to have the next week look like a jail break. Temper the parade.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:23 PM)Synric Wrote: No thanks I want to see Williams and Hopkins back in there. The Titians Defendive line is nothing compared to the Steeler's Defensive Line.

Let's not jump the gun.

I believe that Burrow was not sacked today.

By a defense with both Clowney and Vic Beasley on it.

Meanwhile, Williams has gotten abused several times by DEs.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:26 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I believe that Burrow was not sacked today.

They both are having bad years.

It’s a great win, but make no mistake - this Titans defense is not that good. If we can do that against Pittsburgh? Then yeah.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:26 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I believe that Burrow was not sacked today.

Vic Beasley and Jadeveon Clowney have 0 sacks on the year. Against the Steelers Akeem Adeniji and Fred Johnson will be going against Bud Dupree and TJ Watt who have 10.5 combined not to mention Stephen Tuitt who has 4 from that 3 to 5 tech spot.

The Pittsburgh defensive line is a whole different animal.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
It was a great performance against a good team. The OL played very well, and they needed to because the best DL we will face all year is next.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:31 PM)Synric Wrote: Vic Beasley and Jadeveon Clowney have 0 sacks on the year. Against the Steelers Akeem Adeniji and Fred Johnson will be going against Bud Dupree and TJ Watt who have 10.5 combined not to mention Stephen Tuitt who has 4 from that 3 to 5 tech spot.

No doubt the Steelers have a better defense.

But Williams has not been special, so to say he has been better than the guys today just isn't true at all.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:31 PM)Synric Wrote: Vic Beasley and Jadeveon Clowney have 0 sacks on the year. Against the Steelers Akeem Adeniji and Fred Johnson will be going against Bud Dupree and TJ Watt who have 10.5 combined not to mention Stephen Tuitt who has 4 from that 3 to 5 tech spot.

Yes, this was not a world beater defense, but they held their own, and opened up some gaps i havent seen pretty much all year. 
Reply/Quote

Yeah, mostly DE’s like Myles Garrett...

People are out of their minds if they’re ready to bench Jonah after one game against a team with a mediocre pass rush.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:33 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: No doubt the Steelers have a better defense.

But Williams has not been special, so to say he has been better than the guys today just isn't true at all.

Jonah has graded out pretty well so far (74.8) by PFF. Idk about “special” but he’s been good enough it should take a lot more than one game to unseat him as a starter.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:23 PM)Synric Wrote: No thanks I want to see Williams and Hopkins back in there. The Titians Defendive line is nothing compared to the Steeler's Defensive Line.

Let's not jump the gun.
I dont want to see Hopkins back in there and watch him not being able to run block. Hopkins is ok. He is average and nothing more. With the exception of a few bad snap that will fix itself with playing time. Price looks legit the last 2 games. Shut down Simmons and Richardson the last 2 weeks and he is opening monster holes in the run game.
Reply/Quote