Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When the Backups Play Better Than the Starters.
The Titans only have 7 sacks this year, thats an average of 1 a game. The least sacks and pressures by a defense was the 1982 Colts with 11.

So they're on pace to be arguably up there with the single worst team at pressuring and sacking the QB in NFL history if they don't get better.

But when you're missing your entire starting offensive line things can get ugly very fast. They looked good today.

I wasn't particularly happy with the prevent offense we went to to end the game. You can't take your foot off the pedal on the Pittsburgh Steelers. But against Tennessee with a multiple score lead it's fine.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, mostly DE’s like Myles Garrett...

People are out of their minds if they’re ready to bench Jonah after one game against a team with a mediocre pass rush.

Did Spain play today? I thought I saw him in there. Or was that Calhoun? 
Reply/Quote
And the only reason Joe wasn’t sacked was because he went full on Superman mode and shook off 3 different guys.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:39 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Did Spain play today? I thought I saw him in there. Or was that Calhoun? 

Both played. Spain had a nice block on Gio’s TD run.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You are basing a quarter game sample size against an entire season sample size. It doesn't work like that. 

How about a five quarter sample size?
Reply/Quote
Burrow made this line look better than the stats show. He avoided 3 absolute disaster plays 1 a bad snap 2 complete whiffs at the line of scrimmage. 2 or 3 false start penalties. Those 2 G's both played better than MJ though and should start rest of season.
Reply/Quote
I want to see this line after the bye:

Williams - Spain - Hopkins - XSF - Adeniji

Price still has snapping issues and Johnson was getting most of the TE/RB help.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:39 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Did Spain play today? I thought I saw him in there. Or was that Calhoun? 

Calhoun only played the first series, got a penalty and missed a Clowney blitz.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:33 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: No doubt the Steelers have a better defense.

But Williams has not been special, so to say he has been better than the guys today just isn't true at all.

He has been significantly better than both of them; especially Fred. Williams is currently the best offensive lineman we have and he deserves to man that spot as soon as he returns. PFF has him down for one sack allowed this season. I remember two, one from Brandon Graham vs the Eagles and one vs Myles Garrett.

You can make the argument that Adeniji should start over Hart if you’d like, but Williams is the best guy we currently have.
Reply/Quote
NEWS FLASH TO ANYONE WHO DIDN'T KNOW: Joe Burrow is the only QB ever to avoid a sack to make his OL look better.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And the only reason Joe wasn’t sacked was because he went full on Superman mode and shook off 3 different guys.

He made two nice escapes in this game that should have been sacks. Clowney whiffed untouched and then the Barry Sanders escape and run.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:43 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I want to see this line after the bye:

Williams - Spain - Hopkins - XSF - Adeniji

Price still has snapping issues and Johnson was getting most of the TE/RB help.

This is exactly the line I’d roll out.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:45 PM)TheFan Wrote: NEWS FLASH TO ANYONE WHO DIDN'T KNOW: Joe Burrow is the only QB ever to avoid a sack to make his OL look better.

I thought it was impossible for a QB to make his oline look better
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Can't we all agree that the line played a lot better than we expected? Who cares if it was against a bad defense; how many times have we seen bad defenses look like the 1985 Bears when they face the Bengals??
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 08:24 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The big question with the line is based on Hart.

If he is out and we line up Jonah and Fred at tackle, does Jonah stay on the left side?  Or does he move to the right?

My personal opinion is to start with Jonah on the right side...
Agreed, when Williams is back, I think he goes to his natural position (RT) and let Adeniji be  LT.
Price has been solid last 2 games at his natural position C and go with Spain and Jordan at G.   
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:52 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Can't we all agree that the line played a lot better than we expected? Who cares if it was against a bad defense; how many times have we seen bad defenses look like the 1985 Bears when they face the Bengals??

No one is saying they didn’t play well. We’re saying we shouldn’t be benching starters based off one game.

Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:53 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Agreed, when Williams is back, I think he goes to his natural position (RT) and let Adeniji be  LT.
Price has been solid last 2 games at his natural position C and go with Spain and Jordan at G.   

Jordan has been terrible this year, Spain, XSF or Redmond should be starting over him for this season.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No one is saying they didn’t play well. We’re saying we shouldn’t be benching starters based off one game.

Have you seen the starters prior 7 games?
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:55 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No one is saying they didn’t play well. We’re saying we shouldn’t be benching starters based off one game.

Jonah is the only one that I'd consider safe.  The others should be vulnerable.  Spain taking a guard spot is a no-brainer.  I'd prefer he take Jordan's at LG since that's where he plays, but I'm okay with giving Redmond the hook, too.  

Price and Adeniji are the big questions.  I know Bobby is the organization's BFF, but I want to see more of Adeniji just to have an idea of what he can be in the long term.  If he sucks, then let False Start Hart back into the lineup.  If he doesn't, then you've alleviated a long-term need in the draft.  

I doubt they let price take Trey's job, and it seems that both are better at center than guard.  They paid Trey last offseason, so he's probably safe.  I'd sure love to see if Billy has really turned a corner at some point.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2020, 06:22 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This should be the starting offensive line.  Period.

I'm not sure about across the board, but (I can't believe that I'm saying this) I feel like Billy Price might just be claiming his spot.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote