Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are my auto enthusiasts?
(05-21-2022, 09:27 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  I had a 1972 Super Cheyenne truck back in the day. Somehow I don't even have a pic of it. Sure wish I still had it. Blue & white.

In 1972 no one would have imagined how popular pick up trucks would be as "cars" to just drive around in.  My dad drove a pick up, but he needed it for the work he did and the camping trips we took.  He thought it was really strange when people started buying trucks that really did not need trucks but instead just used them as "cars".
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 09:27 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote:  I had a 1972 Super Cheyenne truck back in the day. Somehow I don't even have a pic of it. Sure wish I still had it. Blue & white.

Very cool truck, and crazy collectible right now if in original condition.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 03:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In 1972 no one would have imagined how popular pick up trucks would be as "cars" to just drive around in.  My dad drove a pick up, but he needed it for the work he did and the camping trips we took.  He thought it was really strange when people started buying trucks that really did not need trucks but instead just used them as "cars".

There is something about the commanding view of the road in Jeeps and trucks.  They are so common now, that I can't see people feeling comfortable in a traditional car.  My daughter has only known SUVs.  She had a Saturn Vue, A Jeep Wrangler, another Jeep Wrangler, a RAV4, and now a wicked cool 4EX Jeep Wrangler that can go 25 miles on electric power only.

Forgetting the smart no-gas situation she is in most the time (only commutes around town, works from home), she is 30 years old and has never owned a traditional car.  She would borrow one of my convertibles from time to time, but always said driving short cars (what she called them) felt weird.  
Reply/Quote
Coming up my dad always had a Station Wagon. He traded quite often. The first thing me and my sister would always do was to see if it had "third row seating".

[Image: lby2sr88ka171.jpg?auto=webp&s=17598fdbf1...db01b482b0]
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 03:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Coming up my dad always had a Station Wagon. He traded quite often. The first thing me and my sister would always do was to see if it had "third row seating".

Why did everyone go crazy over SUVs after hating on station wagons?

I knew a guy whose parents had a Camry station wagon back in the early 90's.  The back section was huge.  This guy was driving a 10 year-old Volkswagen Scirocco (remember those?) and he thought the wagon was 'hot" because it had a V6. 

It would hold as much as a small truck
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 04:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Why did everyone go crazy over SUVs after hating on station wagons?

I knew a guy whose parents had a Camry station wagon back in the early 90's.  The back section was huge.  This guy was driving a 10 year-old Volkswagen Scirocco (remember those?) and he thought the wagon was 'hot" because it had a V6. 

It would hold as much as a small truck

[Image: i8RNuxNJs8.y9LfJBsvE_.jpeg?t=161297252664]
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 03:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Coming up my dad always had a Station Wagon. He traded quite often. The first thing me and my sister would always do was to see if it had "third row seating".

Station Wagons:  The SUVs of the 70s and some of the 80s.

My first ride was a 1973 Chevelle Malibu Wagon with a 350 4 BBl.  Had a hilarious tendency to backfire if I got on it for over 3-4 seconds when I let off the gas.  I was Uncle Buck before being Uncle Buck was cool.   Hilarious

Actually loved that old wagon.  It was my Grandfathers.  I put a cloth seat on the front row bench because with no AC, you could slide around on that vinyl and find yourself in the passenger seat.  Yes, I wore a seat belt but it was only a lap belt.   I called it "The Blue Flame".  

I got teased by the kids that drove camaros and mustangs, but who did everyone call when it was time to go to the drive in on Friday Night?  We would bungee-cord a bunch of lawn chairs to the roof and I had room for 9.  

Doing doughnuts in the snow with 9 people on board was also hilarious.  

Perhaps the best story about the flame was when my mom switched me cars, so I could have AC as we had a meet pretty far out of town and with no AC it was crazy hot.  While parked at my mom's CPA firm, friends of hers started teasing her when they saw the back seat was folded flat and I put a piece of carpet (cut it to fit perfectly) and had my cooler and a bunch of pillows.  I would take my GF to the drive in and we would pull in facing the flame the other way and lay in the back with the tailgate open and just watch the movie from a horizontal position.  

Her work colleagues called it "Judy's pleasure palace".  My mom came home and scolded me (I guess she never looked back there) and my dad couldn't stop laughing.  Man, good times in the flame.   
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 09:27 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Station Wagons:  The SUVs of the 70s and some of the 80s.

My first ride was a 1973 Chevelle Malibu Wagon with a 350 4 BBl.  Had a hilarious tendency to backfire if I got on it for over 3-4 seconds when I let off the gas.  I was Uncle Buck before being Uncle Buck was cool.   Hilarious

Actually loved that old wagon.  It was my Grandfathers.  I put a cloth seat on the front row bench because with no AC, you could slide around on that vinyl and find yourself in the passenger seat.  Yes, I wore a seat belt but it was only a lap belt.   I called it "The Blue Flame".  

I got teased by the kids that drove camaros and mustangs, but who did everyone call when it was time to go to the drive in on Friday Night?  We would bungee-cord a bunch of lawn chairs to the roof and I had room for 9.  

Doing doughnuts in the snow with 9 people on board was also hilarious.  

Perhaps the best story about the flame was when my mom switched me cars, so I could have AC as we had a meet pretty far out of town and with no AC it was crazy hot.  While parked at my mom's CPA firm, friends of hers started teasing her when they saw the back seat was folded flat and I put a piece of carpet (cut it to fit perfectly) and had my cooler and a bunch of pillows.  I would take my GF to the drive in and we would pull in facing the flame the other way and lay in the back with the tailgate open and just watch the movie from a horizontal position.  

Her work colleagues called it "Judy's pleasure palace".  My mom came home and scolded me (I guess she never looked back there) and my dad couldn't stop laughing.  Man, good times in the flame.   

I flew home (KY) after a year in Korea. I had sold my car before I left. I was now going to be stationed in FT Bliss, TX. We started looking for plane tickets and was actually able to purchase a late 70's model Malibu Wagon for less than a ticket.

2 things: 

The drive from KY to El Paso TX is stupid long. When I got to Dallas I wasn't even halfway there

One place you don't want to be without AC is El Paso, TX and the rear windows only rolled halfway down

Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 05:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The drive from KY to El Paso TX is stupid long. When I got to Dallas I wasn't even halfway there

Man people don't realize el paso is basically the equivalent of driving half way across New Mexico....f that.  

The drive to Nashville, Des Moines, or Colorado  is the same as the drive to El Paso (from Dallas).....almost warrants flying.

But also, El Paso sucks.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 05:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I flew home (KY) after a year in Korea. I had sold my car before I left. I was now going to be stationed in FT Bliss, TX. We started looking for plane tickets and was actually able to purchase a late 70's model Malibu Wagon for less than a ticket.

2 things: 

The drive from KY to El Paso TX is stupid long. When I got to Dallas I wasn't even halfway there

One place you don't want to be without AC is El Paso, TX and the rear windows only rolled halfway down

No doubt!  If you are stuck in traffic you will have some serious swamp ass....I remember always flying through yellow lights because I didn't want to be stopped at a light and cook.  
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2022, 05:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I flew home (KY) after a year in Korea. I had sold my car before I left. I was now going to be stationed in FT Bliss, TX. We started looking for plane tickets and was actually able to purchase a late 70's model Malibu Wagon for less than a ticket.

2 things: 

When I was at Ft. Sam my car’s AC and driver’s window were both broken. One day I got a message I needed to call the MPs. They told me they were cracking down on abandoned vehicles on post.

They didn’t believe me when I told them that was my primary means of transportation. LOL
Reply/Quote
My fun car and my wife's fun car 

[Image: 1X2WnUF.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 02:18 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: My fun car and my wife's fun car 

[Image: 1X2WnUF.jpg]

The only thing that stopped me from getting an E class (when i got my 5 series) was I absolutely hate how a car....that prides itself on luxury (over sport)....looks like they glued an oversized tablet onto the dash.  I just can't get behind any design that looks like a tablet that could break off.  

The 2022 EQS.....now THAT is something I would drive.. fully digital dash door to door....but not for 100k.  

I also think Mercedes now has a better windshield HUD than BMW too....i just can't get past that tablet look.         
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 08:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The Tirerack.com ad banner got me thinking....Who on here is a car nut and what do you drive? Is there an older car in your garage that you love?

This is my first post outside of JN and I was just wondering who were my fellow car nuts.

My auto tastes are a bit, well....weird. What a lot of you might call junk (let's be nice, now), I find entertaining.

Here is my car list. And no, I am not big-timing anyone. I have as much money tied up in my cars as anyone...I just get them cheap and fix them up.

1985 Fiero 2M6 with 4-speed manual. I learned to drive a stick on a 1985 Fiero. I have always loved them. This one is the notchback style (which I like more than the fastback...I know, I am in the minority). Only has 33K miles and has the factory option sheepskin and suede seats. Looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I bought it several years ago from a guy in Cbus that was clearing out his collection of cars. This was the cheapest in his collection by far.

1986 Sunbird Turbo convertible. 4-speed manual. I just got this one pretty cheap and it needs some work (tears in seats, padding needs replaced as well. Exhaust is toast. No radio (just ordered a retro radio that has bluetooth...pretty cool, they look like the basic old factory units but has bluetooth and great sound). Some really cheesy stickers on the sides that I can't wait to remove and buff out the paint. I will do the appearance work last. Was looking at some new wheels and tires (hence, the tirerack reference) that would be a plus-1 over the factory 14". No rust. Runs great. A ball to drive. These little buggers had 150 HP and weighed around 2500 lbs. The flip up headlights and orange backlit gauges just scream nostalgia from the 80s to me.

2017 Camaro RS convertible, Auto. My dream car clone...sort of. I found it in a dealer in Dayton with really low miles (20 K) in the winter and they wanted to get rid of it. It is the 330 HP V6 and has the performance exhaust that sounds amazing. It is white and I added blue rallye striped on it and had the back "cove" covered with the same vinyl to mimic my dream car: the 1969 Pontiac Trans Am, that only came in that color. It is like a modern version that doesn't cost six figures. I wish it were a manual, but the 8-speed auto shifts so quickly in performance mode, and it has the paddle shifters.

My daily vehicle for work is a 2019 Ram 1500. Amazing truck.

What are yours? Anyone have a similar love for 80s cars?

I have a ‘19 Ram 1500, too. $97 to fill up on gas this week. Getting new tires today. Holy F! I might be visiting the plasma center again for extra cash like back in the day. LOL
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 04:41 PM)basballguy Wrote: The only thing that stopped me from getting an E class (when i got my 5 series) was I absolutely hate how a car....that prides itself on luxury (over sport)....looks like they glued an oversized tablet onto the dash.  I just can't get behind any design that looks like a tablet that could break off.  

The only thing that stopped me was $70K

Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 04:41 PM)basballguy Wrote: The only thing that stopped me from getting an E class (when i got my 5 series) was I absolutely hate how a car....that prides itself on luxury (over sport)....looks like they glued an oversized tablet onto the dash.  I just can't get behind any design that looks like a tablet that could break off.  

The 2022 EQS.....now THAT is something I would drive.. fully digital dash door to door....but not for 100k.  

I also think Mercedes now has a better windshield HUD than BMW too....i just can't get past that tablet look.         

Oh that MB is so old that the only tablet in it is when I carry my iPad with me. And the only time I ever deal with a new MB is when I've got a loaner while it spends its annual week in the shop due to being an over engineered pos. 

It's 18 years old, still powerful and fast...it will hold its w/newer cars and only when the Mustangs went to the a10 in 2018 did they become faster, still solid... the engine and trans are bulletproof, but is constantly in need of something electrical that needs to come from Germany, or of a hydraulic shock at at least one corner. 

My BIL is a BMW guy and I would really like a 440i GS w/xdrive for a dd someday. 
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2022, 01:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If I ever have the time and money to put into an older vehicle, I'd like to build an 84-86 era F-250 4x4.  I'm also partial to late '60s Mopar and Pontiacs.

The current Sunsetmobile

That is exactly the truck I drive, but mine is the Met Red Sport. I traded in my 2017 F350 when I sold my farm about a year ago.
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2022, 05:27 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I have a ‘19 Ram 1500, too. $97 to fill up on gas this week. Getting new tires today. Holy F!  I might be visiting the plasma center again for extra cash like back in the day. LOL

Yep, I crossed the $100 barrier earlier this week.  

I recently bought new tires as well, Michelin.  They are 100 times better than the factory tires I had before.  Mine has 22" factory rims that are pretty low profile for a truck.  The Michelins were worth what amounted to $30 more per tire.  
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 08:48 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, I crossed the $100 barrier earlier this week.  

I recently bought new tires as well, Michelin.  They are 100 times better than the factory tires I had before.  Mine has 22" factory rims that are pretty low profile for a truck.  The Michelins were worth what amounted to $30 more per tire.  
Low profile on a full size truck? You are dead to me...lol
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2022, 03:41 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Low profile on a full size truck? You are dead to me...lol

It's written in stone. Trucks go up, cars go down. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote