Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where do we go??
So with the news that Adams tore his ACL ? and Williams injury both are going back to school, the top of a deep ot draft class is suddenly gone. I like mcglichey, but he's been rated last 2 years in the 50s by pff after an elite freshman year and his tape has sucked since then. So I don't think we go offensive tackle since Adams was by far left tackle 1. So then the question is where do we go? We're not gonna go qb, no to ot, og? I think that's where we go with Quinton Nelson. He's a plug and play player who will come right in and dominate. If we don't go here I could see dt with a Geno Atkins replacement in Christian Wilkins. If Derwin James falls as much as everyone will hate it, you have to pick him. We passed on Malik Hooker, we won't make the Same mistake twice. Wr? Only if Sutton falls. De? No.cb? No. Lb? No. Center? Not this early.

So in conclusion there's not a lot of needs on this team and there's only about 3 spots we can go in the first round imo ranked in order of probability.
1. Og in Quinton nelson
2. Ss Derwin James
3. Dt Christian Wilkins
4. Wr courtland sutton
Reply/Quote
Not sure how you can rank players and rule out positions when you don’t even know where we are gonna draft yet.

If we draft early then a qb is in play. So is de like key or Landry.

If we draft in the middle then your 2,3 and maybe 4 are gone. Not to mention who may start to rise up boards like rankin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would put OT, DT, TE, and C at the top of my list. Right now it doesn't appear that any tight ends or centers are first rounders.

At OT, McGllinchey is still a good option although he has had some inconsistent moments. I am a fan of Orlando Brown but he is probably more of a RT. Martinas Rankin is in the mix.

Not a fan of DE but I like Bradley Chubb over Key. Per usual Clemson seems stocked again, could nab a guy like Austin Bryant later. A sleeper pick on the line later would be Hercules Mata'afa.

At DT, like Vita Vea and Derrick Nnadi. Wilkins still also.

Hopefully the Bengals learned their lesson on Edge players from the likes of Carl Lawson. I wouldn't mind adding another, but probably later. A guy like Lorenzo Carter or Lawson's replacement who is having a good year, Jeff Holland.

I would say no to a G and no to a WR.

I'm on the fence on a QB.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 08:53 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Not sure how you can rank players and rule out positions when you don’t even know where we are gonna draft yet.  

If we draft early then a qb is in play.  So is de like key or Landry.  

If we draft in the middle then your 2,3 and maybe 4 are gone.  Not to mention who may start to rise up boards like rankin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalton will be here for another 6-8 years. People just need to stop with that fact. And I don't see a de as a possibility at all bc that means they'll need to cut a young guy. Not to mention we got Willis and dunlap on one side with Lawson and Smith on the other. Maybe one later but not in first round. And this was based regardless of where we draft there's only a couple players that I see a spot to go.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 11:55 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Dalton will be here for another 6-8 years. People just need to stop with that fact. And I don't see a de as a possibility at all bc that means they'll need to cut a young guy. Not to mention we got Willis and dunlap on one side with Lawson and Smith on the other. Maybe one later but not in first round. And this was based regardless of where we draft there's only a couple players that I see a spot to go.

Mike brown has shown he's willing to take a qb early if he feels he doesn't have a franchise qb.  They also have shown a bpa approach to drafting so I wouldn't rule out most positions.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 11:55 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Dalton will be here for another 6-8 years. People just need to stop with that fact. And I don't see a de as a possibility at all bc that means they'll need to cut a young guy. Not to mention we got Willis and dunlap on one side with Lawson and Smith on the other. Maybe one later but not in first round. And this was based regardless of where we draft there's only a couple players that I see a spot to go.

Sorry, but if Lewis isn't brought back, the next coach is going to want to have some input on that.

Tackle isn't the biggest need on the line.  The team cannot run the ball mainly because of Bodine and whoever is playing at RG.  That needs to be fixed and hopefully they draft both a C and an OG early.

That being said, right now the Bengals are sitting at #5 overall.  IF we are still sitting at that spot, then you can damn well bet that we will be looking long and hard at a QB.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:59 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Sorry, but if Lewis isn't brought back, the next coach is going to want to have some input on that.

Tackle isn't the biggest need on the line.  The team cannot run the ball mainly because of Bodine and whoever is playing at RG.  That needs to be fixed and hopefully they draft both a C and an OG early.

That being said, right now the Bengals are sitting at #5 overall.  IF we are still sitting at that spot, then you can damn well bet that we will be looking long and hard at a QB.
Tackle is far and away our biggest need. We have 2 top 10 picks at wr, use them. Andy just needs time to pass and he isn't getting it... Rg and center address in round 3. Qb is not a need at all. We have our franchise qb.
Reply/Quote
I'm warming up to pass rushing DT in the first. Christian Wilkins unless Da'Ron Payne's hype of being more than a run stuffer actually comes to fruition.
The Bengals have had a lackluster interior pass rush from their actual DTs outside of Atkins, and Atkins will also be 30 next year and entering a contract year, so a DT could definitely make sense from that perspective too. MJ has had somewhat of a revival rushing from inside on passing downs, but he's old, entering a contract year too, and IMO still isn't worth what he's being paid. Wilkins also has experience playing DE, which checks the versatility box that the Bengals look for.

Outside of that, I'd have to lean offense. QB or OL. Knowing Mike Brown, Quenton Nelson wouldn't be in consideration that early even if he is one hell of a guard.
Derwin James or Minkah Fitzpatrick are very good selections, but both Williams and Iloka are playing solid this year at safety and WJ3 and Dennard are actually showing something at CB. If a DB is selected in the draft, they'll likely be forced to sit for at least a year or two, which will be frustrating.

While I think there's room for improvement with Dalton, he's proven he can be solid when given time, so I'm not confident they'd go QB. But a QB that might be a surprise selection due to the crappy OL might just be Lamar Jackson. He's been improving as a passer and has been boosting his stock this season while some other top QBs have been dropping in stock. Mike Brown might see Lamar Jackson as someone who can keep the play alive and make plays with his legs when the line crumbles and also has the cannon to heave it downfield.

McGlinchey would be a very safe pick. I'd be ok with that selection.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 08:30 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Tackle is far and away our biggest need. We have 2 top 10 picks at wr, use them. Andy just needs time to pass and he isn't getting it... Rg and center address in round 3. Qb is not a need at all. We have our franchise qb.

We do not have anything close to a franchise QB.

IF we stay at #5 (where we are currently sitting)  I would bet my house that we go QB.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 11:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: We do not have anything close to a franchise QB.

IF we stay at #5 (where we are currently sitting)  I would bet my house that we go QB.

Changing the QB isn't going to fix anything.  (see Cleveland Browns, over and over)  You have to get better at the fundamentals of the game, blocking and tackling.  Our tackling isn't really the problem, it the blocking.  This team sucks at blocking.  They can't open holes for runners, they can't even allow a few 5 step drops to happen each game.  They are terrible at blocking, one of the key fundamentals of the game.  If you can't block, your skill players never have a chance, no matter how good they are.  (see Aaron Rodgers, broken collar bone)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2017, 11:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Changing the QB isn't going to fix anything.  (see Cleveland Browns, over and over)  You have to get better at the fundamentals of the game, blocking and tackling.  Our tackling isn't really the problem, it the blocking.  This team sucks at blocking.  They can't open holes for runners, they can't even allow a few 5 step drops to happen each game.  They are terrible at blocking, one of the key fundamentals of the game.  If you can't block, your skill players never have a chance, no matter how good they are.  (see Aaron Rodgers, broken collar bone)

100% agree, but I've seen enough of Dalton to know that he can't get the job done.  How many times does a QB need to throw the ball out of bounds on 4th down before we realize that he doesn't have the makeup to get the team to the Super Bowl.

The main reason that I think we go QB is because we will have a new coach.

That being said, I'm hoping that we are crafty enough to draft Quentin Nelson and Billy Price as well.  Those 3 picks would change the franchise moving forward.  The tackles get a ton of shit for the piss poor performance, but the lack of a running game falls on the interior line.  It needs to be fixed.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 10:01 AM)Goalpost Wrote: I would put OT, DT, TE, and C at the top of my list. Right now it doesn't appear that any tight ends or centers are first rounders.

At OT, McGllinchey is still a good option although he has had some inconsistent moments. I am a fan of Orlando Brown but he is probably more of a RT. Martinas Rankin is in the mix.

Not a fan of DE but I like Bradley Chubb over Key. Per usual Clemson seems stocked again, could nab a guy like Austin Bryant later. A sleeper pick on the line later would be Hercules Mata'afa.

At DT, like Vita Vea and Derrick Nnadi. Wilkins still also.

Hopefully the Bengals learned their lesson on Edge players from the likes of Carl Lawson. I wouldn't mind adding another, but probably later. A guy like Lorenzo Carter or Lawson's replacement who is having a good year, Jeff Holland.

I would say no to a G and no to a WR.

I'm on the fence on a QB.
There are 3 tes that I would react in the first round.... Far and away my favorite is mark Andrews from Oklahoma. A blocking te that can catch and run routes like eifert. Mike gisecki from psu and Troy fumagali from Wisconsin.
(10-23-2017, 02:30 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm warming up to pass rushing DT in the first. Christian Wilkins unless Da'Ron Payne's hype of being more than a run stuffer actually comes to fruition.
The Bengals have had a lackluster interior pass rush from their actual DTs outside of Atkins, and Atkins will also be 30 next year and entering a contract year, so a DT could definitely make sense from that perspective too. MJ has had somewhat of a revival rushing from inside on passing downs, but he's old, entering a contract year too, and IMO still isn't worth what he's being paid. Wilkins also has experience playing DE, which checks the versatility box that the Bengals look for.

Outside of that, I'd have to lean offense. QB or OL. Knowing Mike Brown, Quenton Nelson wouldn't be in consideration that early even if he is one hell of a guard.
Derwin James or Minkah Fitzpatrick are very good selections, but both Williams and Iloka are playing solid this year at safety and WJ3 and Dennard are actually showing something at CB. If a DB is selected in the draft, they'll likely be forced to sit for at least a year or two, which will be frustrating.

While I think there's room for improvement with Dalton, he's proven he can be solid when given time, so I'm not confident they'd go QB. But a QB that might be a surprise selection due to the crappy OL might just be Lamar Jackson. He's been improving as a passer and has been boosting his stock this season while some other top QBs have been dropping in stock. Mike Brown might see Lamar Jackson as someone who can keep the play alive and make plays with his legs when the line crumbles and also has the cannon to heave it downfield.

McGlinchey would be a very safe pick. I'd be ok with that selection.
Lamar would be a horrible pick. He's basically a less athletic braxon Miller. He's horribly inconsistent, displays no touch or accuracy, and All he wants to do is run.mcglichey leaves something to be desired in the running game(motor questions) but in pass pro, he's on a pedestal all his own.
(10-23-2017, 11:28 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: We do not have anything close to a franchise QB.

U would lose ur house. He's 2 years away from a MVP season. Is cam Newton a franchise qb? I would take Dalton over newton any day. Give Dalton weapons and a decent okine, he will tear u apart. We have the weapons. We should draft mcglichey or Williams, jaarco Jones, and bully price along with a rg we're all set.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 08:08 PM)Jpoore Wrote: There are 3 tes that I would react in the first round.... Far and away my favorite is mark Andrews from Oklahoma. A blocking te that can catch and run routes like eifert. Mike gisecki from psu and Troy fumagali from Wisconsin.
Lamar would be a horrible pick. He's basically a less athletic braxon Miller. He's horribly inconsistent, displays no touch or accuracy, and All he wants to do is run.mcglichey leaves something to be desired in the running game(motor questions) but in pass pro, he's on a pedestal all his own.
U would lose ur house. He's 2 years away from a MVP season. Is cam Newton a franchise qb? I would take Dalton over newton any day. Give Dalton weapons and a decent okine, he will tear u apart. We have the weapons. We should draft mcglichey or Williams, jaarco Jones, and bully price along with a rg we're all set.

I don't know where you get your info, but from what I've seen/read this season so far, McGlinchey actually is doing better as a run blocker than pass blocker.
Also, Lamar Jackson is MUCH better than Braxton Miller. As a passer and as a runner. Miller's best season was 2013 when he had 63% completion for 2094 passing yards, 24 TDs, and 7 INT. He added 1068 rush yards and 12 TDs on the ground. Jackson's best season was last year where he passed for 3543 yards with 30 TDs and 9 INT with an additional 1571 rush yards and 21 TDs on the ground. You may point to the completion percentage of being 56%, but this year it's up to 60% and he's already at 2478 pass yards. Jackson isn't my favorite passer in the draft, but he sure is a heck of a lot better of a QB than Braxton Miller was. From the plays I've watched of Jackson, he has displayed some touch and he can throw the deep ball. Closest comparison I think of Jackson for a current player might be Tyrod Taylor. But I think he's more electric than Tyrod.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 09:39 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't know where you get your info, but from what I've seen/read this season so far, McGlinchey actually is doing better as a run blocker than pass blocker.
Also, Lamar Jackson is MUCH better than Braxton Miller. As a passer and as a runner. Miller's best season was 2013 when he had 63% completion for 2094 passing yards, 24 TDs, and 7 INT. He added 1068 rush yards and 12 TDs on the ground. Jackson's best season was last year where he passed for 3543 yards with 30 TDs and 9 INT with an additional 1571 rush yards and 21 TDs on the ground. You may point to the completion percentage of being 56%, but this year it's up to 60% and he's already at 2478 pass yards. Jackson isn't my favorite passer in the draft, but he sure is a heck of a lot better of a QB than Braxton Miller was. From the plays I've watched of Jackson, he has displayed some touch and he can throw the deep ball. Closest comparison I think of Jackson for a current player might be Tyrod Taylor. But I think he's more electric than Tyrod.

Jackson isn't as electric as Miller was with the ball in his hands when he's running.... Jackson is a slightly better passer, hut u can't look at numbers.... Osu offense is similar to the Panthers offense. A heavy run first offense with some mesh throws.... Lousville offense will bomb it downfield therefore Jackson attempts much more passes.tyrof Taylor is a great comparison, but are u taking Taylor, even Taylor 2.0 in the top 15? Bc I'm sure as hell not... My qb1 is osu qb..... And as far as mccglitchey u misunderstand what I was saying..... He dosent struggle in the run game, he has some consistency issues ala he dosent hold his blocks as long as he should...  And pass game wise he's elite.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2017, 11:59 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Sorry, but if Lewis isn't brought back, the next coach is going to want to have some input on that.

I think they'd look but I'd rather trade back for more picks if possible and really load up the line.

(10-23-2017, 11:39 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Changing the QB isn't going to fix anything.  (see Cleveland Browns, over and over)  You have to get better at the fundamentals of the game, blocking and tackling.  Our tackling isn't really the problem, it the blocking.  This team sucks at blocking.  They can't open holes for runners, they can't even allow a few 5 step drops to happen each game.  They are terrible at blocking, one of the key fundamentals of the game.  If you can't block, your skill players never have a chance, no matter how good they are.  (see Aaron Rodgers, broken collar bone)

True, but if you have a shot at a franchise qb you take him and build around him. Bring in a free agent lineman or two to help protect him. Not that the bengals would do that. And Rodgers had some lineman hurt and was tackled on a rollout but I get your point.
Reply/Quote
(10-24-2017, 08:08 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Lamar would be a horrible pick. He's basically a less athletic braxon Miller. He's horribly inconsistent, displays no touch or accuracy, and All he wants to do is run.mcglichey leaves something to be desired in the running game(motor questions) but in pass pro, he's on a pedestal all his own.

[Image: youre_serious_futurama.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 09:39 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't know where you get your info, but from what I've seen/read this season so far, McGlinchey actually is doing better as a run blocker than pass blocker.

He's somewhere between Mike Vick and Vince Young on the field. 
If the kid has his head on right he can be special, just like both of them could have been if they had their heads on right. 
His ability to avoid hits is elite. 
He's got great velocity. 
If you watch Louisville play, you see how rough the supporting cast is for a school like Louisville. It's basically Lamar or bust. 
Reply/Quote
CB in the 1st round.
RB in the 2nd round.
OLB/DE tweener in the 3rd round.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2017, 09:27 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He's somewhere between Mike Vick and Vince Young on the field. 
If the kid has his head on right he can be special, just like both of them could have been if they had their heads on right. 
His ability to avoid hits is elite. 
He's got great velocity. 
If you watch Louisville play, you see how rough the supporting cast is for a school like Louisville. It's basically Lamar or bust. 

I've watched some Louisville games and I would definitely agree with you.
I was trying to find a current player to compare to and that was Tyrod to me, but Vick and Young are better comparisons when looking at former players.
I think Lamar Jackson would actually be a very good fit in Cleveland with that OL and Corey Coleman blazing down the field to catch deep passes.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2017, 02:57 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: CB in the 1st round.
RB in the 2nd round.
OLB/DE tweener in the 3rd round.

[Image: not-funny.gif]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote