Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Where does Dunlap land?
(10-25-2020, 11:05 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Minnesota.  The Vikings are desperate.

Could be, but it looks more like the vikings are in fire sale mode. They know they're not competing this season, so they are loading up for the future. I dont think they would trade much for him, unless it's to offload a contract.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think the team hangs onto him and cuts him in the offseason. Not the ideal thing to do, but this is the Bengals after all.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Not a lot of good edge rushers available. Bit of a seller’s market.

Still, I’d guess a 6th.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
The obvious one to me is Seattle who has absolutely the worst pass rush in the NFL. You also have the fact the Seahawks are a team that has a history of going out and acquiring guys who are a bit disgruntled. The Bills could also be in play with their sights set on a division title and due to our long history with trading players to them. Their defensive line has not been great, they actually benched one of their starting ends last week because of his refusal to play contain properly the week before against TEN. The Raiders are the other place to me with the obvious Gunther ties, the struggling defensive line play, and the wild card potentially slipping away if they don't do something.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 08:56 AM)Au165 Wrote: The obvious one to me is Seattle who has absolutely the worst pass rush in the NFL. You also have the fact the Seahawks are a team that has a history of going out and acquiring guys who are a bit disgruntled. The Bills could also be in play with their sights set on a division title and due to our long history with trading players to them. Their defensive line has not been great, they actually benched one of their starting ends last week because of his refusal to play contain properly the week before against TEN. The Raiders are the other place to me with the obvious Gunther ties, the struggling defensive line play, and the wild card potentially slipping away if they don't do something.

You might want to look at stats. Seattle blows the Bungles away. They have almost double the sacks, sack rate % is much higher, overall DL ranking, defensive ranking, etc.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 09:04 AM)higgy100 Wrote: You might want to look at stats. Seattle blows the Bungles away. They have almost double the sacks, sack rate % is much higher, overall DL ranking, defensive ranking, etc.

Actually, they are only pressuring QB's on 20% of dropbacks which is by far the worst in the NFL. Don't get caught up on sacks as they can be a product of a lot of other things, which is why analytics people tend to look at pressures over sacks.

The Seahawks are the worst team in the NFL at creating any sort of pressure on the QB.
Reply/Quote
Is this where M Brown uses his stubborn card on dissenters? Hehe
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 11:02 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I see too many very good teams with a need for a DE so doubt he is cut. On right team, he could help get a team futher in the playoffs.
I say possibly:

Seahawks
Cardinals
Browns (yes opposite Garrett could be force
Saints

No more than a 5th round pick is my guess

My bet is here and we get nothing.  Other teams aren't stupid.  They see his production and his antics.  I doubt anyone wants him.  We would more likely get someone willing to give a decent draft pick for Lawson, but I don't think I would deal him.  
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:34 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2 This is what I thought also. If he does retire, is there a set amount of time until he becomes a Free Agent??

the end of his contract.  Until the team formally releases him, his rights will belong to the Bengals until 2022 even if he retires

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Offer him to any team with a worse record than ours (I know, not many out there) for any draft pick; accept a 7th rounder if necessary.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:24 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Offer him to any team with a worse record than ours (I know, not many out there) for any draft pick; accept a 7th rounder if necessary.

I agree, and if no one takes it, release him. I doubt we will miss the 71st rated DE in the NFL even a little bit. If we have to eat some money do it, but get this dude out of the locker room and off the team. We might even play better as a team. Getting rid of Chad and Carson and replacing them with 2 rookies actually helped us back in the day. It was addition by subtraction.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:32 AM)bengaloo Wrote: I agree, and if no one takes it, release him.

No. Force him to either play (sit on the bench) for us or for an even worse team. Those are the options the Bengals should present to him.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:18 AM)pally Wrote: the end of his contract.  Until the team formally releases him, his rights will belong to the Bengals until 2022 even if he retires

No, the contract actually freezes in its place. If you leave with two years left on your deal and come back two years later, you still have two years left on your contract. The team holds your rights to accruable seasons not to the actual years unless they do in fact cut you.
Reply/Quote
The other option is cut him. We don't get compensation, but the new team contract offsets what we paid him so we save some more cap dollars in 2021 and if allowed to carry over.

I liked Dunlap and thought he was our heart and soul for a long time, but IMHO, he needs to be gone this week. I would suspend him while determining his fate.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:18 AM)pally Wrote: the end of his contract.  Until the team formally releases him, his rights will belong to the Bengals until 2022 even if he retires

WhoDey2 Thanks, that's what I thought...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:24 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Offer him to any team with a worse record than ours (I know, not many out there) for any draft pick; accept a 7th rounder if necessary.

Offer him to all teams and accept the best offer.

Accepting lesser compensation out of spite, so you can send him to a losing team, would be unwise. And not for nothing, losing teams generally aren't in the buyer's market at the trade deadline.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 10:33 AM)PhilHos Wrote: No. Force him to either play (sit on the bench) for us or for an even worse team. Those are the options the Bengals should present to him.

Not a big fan of the team paying someone millions of more dollars out of spite.  (We'd save over 4 million if we cut/trade him right now.)

To each their own though.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 01:31 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Not a big fan of the team paying someone millions of more dollars out of spite.  (We'd save over 4 million if we cut/trade him right now.)

To each their own though.

I agree, get what you can and if nothing worthwhile, then cut him. Let him be a free agent and negotiate with a bunch of teams. The bigger contract he gets from another team, the less dead money and more cap space we get in the future.

Sitting him and paying him is like suspending an in home punishment a kid from school using an in home punishment  so they can stay home, sleep in and do nothing. It reward them.

He gets a tweaked hammy or a lower back issue (impossible for doctors to confirm), then just does not practice or play and hos paid a huge amount of money. That would be very bad business. In Palmer's case, his decision in off season to not show up took team off the hook immediately for his salary. In Dunlap case, we are on the hook so he needs to go.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Hopefully to a playoff contender, a decade with us he deserves it
Reply/Quote
The cowboys trading Everson Griffin for a 6th probably totally screwed up our trade demands. Cardinals lost chandler jones and I read they put two more DEs on IR over the last couple days. Not sure where their cap situation is, but they should be looking for DE help
Reply/Quote