Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where is Gio?
(11-21-2017, 10:59 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Over the last 6 games, Gio has 13 carries for 20 yards and 10 catches for 70 yards. He went from integral part of the offense to only seeing the field to give Mixon a breather. If this is Gio's permanent role going forward, we need to think long and hard about cutting him after the season.

Gio has the 11th highest salary among RB's in the entire league, and he's down to 3.8 touches over his last 6 games. It's a total waste of cap. There's an easy out in his contract for 2018, but I doubt we use it "cuz loyalty". It's a dumb move to pay him this much though, if he's not going to be a central part of the offense.

I like the guy, but it is what it is.

.....and he would go elsewhere and likely excel.  This team is just STUPID.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 12:12 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: To be fair, even with those stats Gio has a better YPC than Mixon on the year. Mixon only has 261 more yards but also has 96 more carries. Has 3 more receiving yards with 5 more receptions. Has 1 more TD than Gio.

Mixon doesn't even average 3 YPC.
Over the last 6 games, Mixon has 75 carries for 234 yards. That's a 3.1 YPC. He's averaging 39 rushing yards a game over that time frame.

Also, fun fact, Andy Dalton has the most rushing yards of ANY of our running backs over the past 6 weeks in the 2nd half.

Our rushing attack is terrible. We rank dead last in rushing yards, YPC, and rushing yards per game. Tied for 31st in rushing TDs with 3.

I saw a stat the other day that the Bengals rank near the bottom in yards until the RB is contacted.

I feel for our running backs. I wouldn't be surprised if Hill went somewhere next year and revitalizes his career. Our scheme and blocking is horrendous

Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook, Kareem Hunt....all guys that are or were tearing it up this year that were ranked behind Mixon.  It isn't all the line.  The majority is the scheme.  Did we think a better running back would suddenly fix the problem of predictability and lack of push in the rushing scheme?  Here's another point to everyone complaining about losing Whit:  THE RUSHING ATTACK SUCKED WITH HIM AND ZEITLER AS WELL.  

It isn't the players.  It sure as hell isn't the RBs.  It is the predictable formations, gaps, and assignments that repeatedly fail and are not addressed that is the issue.  Coaching, coaching, coaching.  Nothing will change until that changes.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 10:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:   Coaching, coaching, coaching.  Nothing will change until that changes.

Which is why, as much as it pains me, that I really do not want them to win another game this season. I prefer they lose out to ensure Mervin is gone....
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 10:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook, Kareem Hunt....all guys that are or were tearing it up this year that were ranked behind Mixon.  It isn't all the line.  The majority is the scheme.  Did we think a better running back would suddenly fix the problem of predictability and lack of push in the rushing scheme?  Here's another point to everyone complaining about losing Whit:  THE RUSHING ATTACK SUCKED WITH HIM AND ZEITLER AS WELL.  

It isn't the players.  It sure as hell isn't the RBs.  It is the predictable formations, gaps, and assignments that repeatedly fail and are not addressed that is the issue.  Coaching, coaching, coaching.  Nothing will change until that changes.

While I agree about the coaching, and have since our days on the mothership, Cook was a much better back behind a bad oline.  The line has been the bane of the Seminoles existence for a few years now (got Francios hurt this season in game one).  Yet, Cook broke FSU records behind that poor play, and didn't have a Perine to split carries with to spell him.  Meanwhile, Mixon ran behind a great line, against inferior competition compared to the FSU schedule, and had the benefit of Perine.

IMO, they Bungaled that pick as well.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 10:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Which is why, as much as it pains me, that I really do not want them to win another game this season. I prefer they lose out to ensure Mervin is gone....

Marvin is gone, even if by some act of God they make the playoffs.  
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 10:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: While I agree about the coaching, and have since our days on the mothership, Cook was a much better back behind a bad oline.  The line has been the bane of the Seminoles existence for a few years now (got Francios hurt this season in game one).  Yet, Cook broke FSU records behind that poor play, and didn't have a Perine to split carries with to spell him.  Meanwhile, Mixon ran behind a great line, against inferior competition compared to the FSU schedule, and had the benefit of Perine.

I was behind Cook and bummed when they made the trade, but apparently, there were a lot of skeletons in Cook's closet.  Hard to imagine, but they believed he had a darker cloud than Mixon.  
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 10:59 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was behind Cook and bummed when they made the trade, but apparently, there were a lot of skeletons in Cook's closet.  Hard to imagine, but they believed he had a darker cloud than Mixon.  

There were some skeletons, to be sure, but they were mainly the crowd he was running with.  Apparently, once he got to Minnesota, he put all of that, and his "crew" behind him.  Of course, there's no guarantee that Merv and his bumbling fools could have provided the atmosphere needed to help Dalvin accomplish all of that.  That said, word out of Minnesota is that he has been nothing but a consummate pro since arriving to training camp.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 11:07 AM)Wyche Wrote: There were some skeletons, to be sure, but they were mainly the crowd he was running with.  Apparently, once he got to Minnesota, he put all of that, and his "crew" behind him.  Of course, there's no guarantee that Merv and his bumbling fools could have provided the atmosphere needed to help Dalvin accomplish all of that.  That said, word out of Minnesota is that he has been nothing but a consummate pro since arriving to training camp.

And, to be fair, so has Mixon...and we needed a bigger back to replace Jeremy.  As much as I dislike the coaching, our scouting department killed it this year.  
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 01:06 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: And, to be fair, so has Mixon...and we needed a bigger back to replace Jeremy.  As much as I dislike the coaching, our scouting department killed it this year.  

Some of that is the coaches too.  Yes, Mixon has kept it clean as well.  I just don't like him behind these scrubs.....just felt Cook was the more elusive and explosive back.  If Joe were in Dallas or somewhere like that, his numbers would be much better.

Reply/Quote
I dont mind seeing Mixon getting the boatload of the carries. You could put Walter Peyton behind this pattycake blocking of a line, and he would even struggle.

What I dont like is how little Gio is used in the passing game. It is criminal to not use Gio as a slot receiver throughout a game when they are lacking playmakers not named AJ Green as receiving options. Granted the Bengals under Marvin hate to think outside the box like other team such as the Patriots do, but at this point they should be putting the best weapons on the field as much as possible since they are the worst offense in the league right now.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 01:14 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I dont mind seeing Mixon getting the boatload of the carries. You could put Walter Peyton behind this pattycake blocking of a line, and he would even struggle.

What I dont like is how little Gio is used in the passing game. It is criminal to not use Gio as a slot receiver throughout a game when they are lacking playmakers not named AJ Green as receiving options. Granted the Bengals under Marvin hate to think outside the box like other team such as the Patriots do, but at this point they should be putting the best weapons on the field as much as possible since they are the worst offense in the league right now.

Since the line is so shitty, Gio is having to stay in and block a lot in passing situations.  Mixon is bad at blocking at the moment, so Gio is the only back we have that can pick up the blitz....and quite frankly....the only "lineman" we have that can pick it up.  Talk about sad and pathetic..... :paul:

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 01:16 PM)Wyche Wrote: Since the line is so shitty, Gio is having to stay in and block a lot in passing situations.  Mixon is bad at blocking at the moment, so Gio is the only back we have that can pick up the blitz....and quite frankly....the only "lineman" we have that can pick it up.  Talk about sad and pathetic..... :paul:

Yeah thats a factor for sure.

But even still Gio should be more featured with Mixon at the same time. Mixon in the backfield, Gio in the slot with AJ and Erickson or LaFell out there as well. 

Then again, maybe they are just being cautious with his knee, and not wanting to push it this year if they dont have to. If that is the case, then that is fine obviously since this season is a wash anyways. Regardless though, Gio has always been vastly underused in the offense under Marvin, because they never think outside of their conventional box.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Isn't Cook out for the year with a blown ACL?
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 10:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Marvin is gone, even if by some act of God they make the playoffs.  

Well I sure hope so....
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 01:21 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Yeah thats a factor for sure.

But even still Gio should be more featured with Mixon at the same time. Mixon in the backfield, Gio in the slot with AJ and Erickson or LaFell out there as well. 

Then again, maybe they are just being cautious with his knee, and not wanting to push it this year if they dont have to. If that is the case, then that is fine obviously since this season is a wash anyways. Regardless though, Gio has always been vastly underused in the offense under Marvin, because they never think outside of their conventional box.

100% agreed.  I think there are multiple reasons why Gio isn't seeing as many touches, coaching being the biggest issue in my mind.

(11-22-2017, 01:25 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Isn't Cook out for the year with a blown ACL?

Yes, but I don't see how that's relevant to the draft without the benefit of hindsight.  Cook was having a stellar season up until that point, in fact, he broke AP's rookie single game rushing record.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 10:25 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....and he would go elsewhere and likely excel.  This team is just STUPID.

Well of course he would. We're all probably sick of talking about it, but it's this joke of an o-line. Nobody can run behind it. It's not Mixon's fault. Not Hill's fault. Not Gio's fault. They're all solid backs, IMO. This line is a giant anchor around the neck of every offensive player.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 10:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: While I agree about the coaching, and have since our days on the mothership, Cook was a much better back behind a bad oline.  The line has been the bane of the Seminoles existence for a few years now (got Francios hurt this season in game one).  Yet, Cook broke FSU records behind that poor play, and didn't have a Perine to split carries with to spell him.  Meanwhile, Mixon ran behind a great line, against inferior competition compared to the FSU schedule, and had the benefit of Perine.

THIS x 1,000!!
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 10:39 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Alvin Kamara, Dalvin Cook, Kareem Hunt....all guys that are or were tearing it up this year that were ranked behind Mixon.  It isn't all the line.  The majority is the scheme.  Did we think a better running back would suddenly fix the problem of predictability and lack of push in the rushing scheme?  Here's another point to everyone complaining about losing Whit:  THE RUSHING ATTACK SUCKED WITH HIM AND ZEITLER AS WELL.  

Exactly. Look at the Vikings, for example. They tried year in and year out to bolster that offensive line and struggled. They had some misses, but kept trying and now look what they're doing on offense with a backup QB and RB.

I'm not saying Mixon is a problem. I'm saying we can't sit here and say one running back is terrible when everyone else has been. We will continue to struggle until we fix this rushing attack. That comes from the players.

Ogbuehi has NEVER been a good LT. Jake Fisher has taken some major steps back. Bodine is bad. They just threw in Hopkins who many people had hopes for but ultimately also struggles. Even Boling has struggled here and there.

The offensive line is a mess. Communication errors. Awareness is lacking. Scheme is terrible.

Heck. Who's even the leader of that offensive line? Who's the guy everyone goes to so they can figure out what to do and fix?
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 04:41 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: The offensive line is a mess. Communication errors. Awareness is lacking. Scheme is terrible.

Heck. Who's even the leader of that offensive line? Who's the guy everyone goes to so they can figure out what to do and fix?

Haven't you heard?  The coaching staff is too busy to fix anything during the season.  
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2017, 10:42 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: What has been up with Gio Bernard?  He has played in all 10 games this season, yet he only has 49 total touches.  31 carries and 18 receptions.  I get that he's not a guy that you would want with 30 touches a game.  He's simply not built that way.  But 11-14 touches a game has been his workload throughout his career, and he has been effective in this role and has held up pretty well physically.  Is he not 100% from last seasons injury?  If not, why not IR him as well at this point?

More of the coaches not knowing how to use their best players. I love Mixon but Gio needs more snaps then he is
getting. He is also getting paid big money and it is not injury. He has looked 100% this year. The O-line is terrible
so unless these guys are missing big holes they are not the problem.

You have another valid concern about what is going on here and i really like Mixon.

I think if we can fix this O-line these two will be one of the tougher tandems to deal with in the NFL personally.

Just hoping the new Coaches know how to use their own players to their strengths after this season.
Reply/Quote