Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where will we land on the Opening Day OL?
(08-18-2021, 11:29 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Spain isn't going anywhere.

This. The dude has proven he can play both guard positions and even swing out to tackle and play respectfully.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 08:20 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This. The dude has proven he can play both guard positions and even swing out to tackle and play respectfully.  

I don’t see Spain and XSF going anywhere this year. They’d be silly to get rid of them and have 2 rookies, and Jordan as their main and only options at guard.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 10:53 PM)jj22 Wrote: If you keep 11, which position group are you taking a spot from?

We'll go 10 and cut one of the vets, maybe both (Spain, XSF).

Williams - Smith - Hopkins - Jordan - Reiff
Prince - Hill - Price - Carman - Johnson

That 10th spot in my book is between Johnson and Spain. I think Hill has potential and with Price likely gone next year, and Hopkins coming off another lower leg injury, I think it's good to have a prospect on the roster.

Absolutely no way both Spain and XSF are cut.
I think it's far more likely Hill and probably Prince are put on the PS.
I could actually see Price let go if they are worried about Hill getting swiped on waivers.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 06:16 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Williams-Spain-Hopkins-Jordan-Reiff.

I was scrolling until I saw this one as it was my response as well.  Say what you will about Jordan in the past two years, but being on the outside looking in, no one worked harder this offseason to transform his body and improve his conditioning.  I know he isn't wowing anyone with his play (he was ok week 1 of preseason), but I think the Bengals are impressed with his dedication.

Ironically, in the next preseason game, the Bengals could have 3 former buckeyes protecting a former buckeye.  Prince, Price, and Jordan protecting Burrow.  Odd.

I think they are somewhat down on XSF for some reason...he played a lot week 1 against the backups.  
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2021, 09:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Could happen, just saw D'Ante might not play against Washington though cause of lack of hydration.

But no one that watched that Tampa game wasn't impressed with D'Ante. That dude is way ahead of where we all thought he would
be at this time. Carman should take some time to adapt to Guard. It's all good and XSF is good depth as you say too.

Completely agree with all this, Nate.  I can't help but think that if Smith shines at Guard (and he was REALLY good in that first preseason game playing all over) that Carman should be groomed as the future RT????
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 09:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Absolutely no way both Spain and XSF are cut.
I could actually see Price let go if they are worried about Hill getting swiped on waivers.

Price, like Seibert, should be trade bait for anyone that loses a center in preseason.  That would open a spot for Hill.  Prince looked surprisingly good against Washington.  
Reply/Quote
Game day I see

Williams-Spain-Hopkins-Smith-Reid

Price will be first lineman off the bench no matter what happens. Injury at Tackle Smith immediately slides out with Price filling in at guard. Injuries at guard or center Price just fills in to the injured hole.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 09:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Absolutely no way both Spain and XSF are cut.

Why not Spain/XSF? We have veteran presence in the room in Reiff, Hopkins, and even Price. If they are beat out by youth (Smith, Jordan), is it really necessary to have a "vet" with our young drafted guys waiting in the wings (Carman, Hill).

If XSF doesn't start he is as good as gone. MB isn't going to pay him 3.5m to sit the bench. And I think Spain may be slightly (highly) overrated by some on this board. We have vets on the line, we don't need "veteran presence". Spain was never to be a key part of the rebuild, so we shouldn't treat him as such. This is still a youth movement we are in, and the youth need the experience. I'd feel differently if there was a top player ahead of him, but stunting their growth for a guy who would be out of the league if not for signing with the Bengals shouldn't be ideal.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
They’re not going to cut Spain. He’s only making 1.1 mil, and after the dead cap money the savings would be minimal.

XSF is the guy that needs to step up or be worried about his job.

Reply/Quote
Just throwing out something different here:
Williams - Spain - Price - Jordan - Rieff

I'm not convinced Hopkins will be ready week 1
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 10:16 AM)jj22 Wrote: Why not Spain/XSF? We have veteran presence in the room in Reiff, Hopkins, and even Price. If they are beat out by youth (Smith, Jordan), is it really necessary to have a "vet" with our young drafted guys waiting in the wings (Carman, Hill).

If XSF doesn't start he is as good as gone. MB isn't going to pay him 3.5m to sit the bench. And I think Spain may be slightly (highly) overrated by some on this board. We have vets on the line, we don't need "veteran presence". Spain was never to be a key part of the rebuild, so we shouldn't treat him as such. This is still a youth movement we are in, and the youth need the experience. I'd feel differently if there was a top player ahead of him, but stunting their growth for a guy who would be out of the league if not for signing with the Bengals shouldn't be ideal.

If XSF or Spain gets beat out, yes I understand getting rid of either of them. However, I just don't expect Jordan or Smith to be good enough yet to do that. If Jordan actually is a starter, people (especially me) will be very worried about Burrow staying upright for quite a while.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 11:27 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Just throwing out something different here:
Williams - Spain - Price - Jordan - Rieff

I'm not convinced Hopkins will be ready week 1

It would be a miraculous recovery. They sound like he'll be "ready", but will he be 100%. If Price continues to look like Pollack got him a little stable at the position, I wouldn't rush Hopkins back.

Reply/Quote
I could see a scenario where, if we go with 10 (not 11 or the absurd 9 we went with last year), that if Jordan or XSF loose out in the starting spot, they get cut so we can keep Hill. Particularly XSF given his salary. Not sure Price is safe either.

Right now:

Starters: Williams, Spain, Hopkins, Jordan, Reiff.
Reserves: Johnson (OT#3), Smith (OG/OT), Carman (OG/OT), Price (C/OG), XSF (OG).
PS: Hill (C/OG), Prince (OT).

Carman is lowest on the depth chart but has no chance of getting cut. If Fred stinks it up in camp, I could see Prince taking his spot.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 12:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote:  If Jordan actually is a starter, people (especially me) will be very worried about Burrow staying upright for quite a while.

Jordon has done nothing to earn any benefit of the doubt, but at the same time I believe it is possible for MJ to step his game up.  He is still just 23 and has a new coach.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 09:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Completely agree with all this, Nate.  I can't help but think that if Smith shines at Guard (and he was REALLY good in that first preseason game playing all over) that Carman should be groomed as the future RT????

That is what is so nice with the Carman pick, he can play OT and there are lots of ways for this to play out. Not a bad idea at all to 
keep the option open of Carman being the future RT and just learn behind Reiff for a year or two and be great depth for us if Spain
and D'Ante Smith are balling out. I just want the best 5 guys out there and for our depth to really improve. I sure was impressed 
for that being our first Preseason game playing against the DL of the Champs. Great sign.
Reply/Quote
Whatever happens I think it is important to pick 5 and stick with them.

Last year we started 10 different combinations on our O-line.  We had 11 different player start with 9 of them getting at least 5 starts.  Three of them started at more than one position. From week 8 through 15 we had a different starting O-line every game.

If one of the rookies looks physically and psychologically superior to one of the vets, but is just lagging behind in learning the playbook or adjusting to the NFL I would start the rook.  That way the O-line could gel and improve.  

No other group in football needs to be more comfortable with the guys starting around them than the O-line.
Reply/Quote
Williams, Spain, Hopkins, Carman, Reiff

I think xsf gets cut and we save that 2 mil. He's not good at all. Didn't he play with the 3rd team last week?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 01:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is what is so nice with the Carman pick, he can play OT and there are lots of ways for this to play out. Not a bad idea at all to 
keep the option open of Carman being the future RT and just learn behind Reiff for a year or two and be great depth for us if Spain
and D'Ante Smith are balling out. I just want the best 5 guys out there and for our depth to really improve. I sure was impressed 
for that being our first Preseason game playing against the DL of the Champs. Great sign.

I know a LOT would have to go right for this to happen, but can you imagine if Carman ends up being the RG and Smith the RT?  This draft would be viewed as historic should they pan out as quality starters.  Stranger things have happened and I am not about to give up on Carman after what is essentially 9 days of padded practices.  

He also appears to be staying after for extra work.  A good sign that he is heeding the advice.  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 12:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If XSF or Spain gets beat out, yes I understand getting rid of either of them. However, I just don't expect Jordan or Smith to be good enough yet to do that. If Jordan actually is a starter, people (especially me) will be very worried about Burrow staying upright for quite a while.

I agree. It is wishful thinking that neither would be needed because the youth have shown they are up to the task. 

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2021, 03:07 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I know a LOT would have to go right for this to happen, but can you imagine if Carman ends up being the RG and Smith the RT?  

Actually that is exactly what I see happening.

To me Smith is the biggest surprise in camp this year.  I liked the pick, and so did a few others here, but I don't think ANYONE expected him to be this good this fast.  We were all looking to next year when Reiff was gone (possibly)
Reply/Quote