Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which 2021 draftee is most poised for a 2nd year breakout?
Obviously Ja'Marr and McPherson already broke out but of the remaining 2021 draft picks which player is most poised for a break-out season?

- Round 2 (46) LG Jackson Carman

- Round 3 (69) DE Joseph Ossai

-Round 4 (111) DL Cam Sample

-Round 4 (122) DT Tyler Shelvin

-Round 4 (139) OT/OG D'Ante Smith

-Round 6 (190) C Trey Hill

-Round 6 (202) RB Chris Evans

-Round 7 (235) DE Wyatt Hubert

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I think most people will end up choosing Ossai.

I'm hoping Smith since he looked good early last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’d like it to be Ossai or Carman. I think it will be Chris Evans

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Not making him my pick, just stating that Shelvin was awful and looked weak in the regular season but showed improvement late when he was forced to play. Hopefully he takes this off-season seriously and works on his game and himself.

I actually picked McPherson earlier this year in another thread. This team had a lot of three and outs last year and I'm expecting them to have less of those with the improved line. I see them moving up and down the field, Joe Mixon may even win league MVP if he can stay healthy. McPherson should capitalize on that.

I don't know why but I'm taking Smith even though there are two starters in front of him. I'm thinking 6th o-line/tackle eligible type of situations.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
We should all hope that it is Carmen. If so, that solidifies our Oline. Also, Carmen is the only player on this list with the opportunity to actually start at a position on Day 1 of this upcoming season.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 07:16 AM)casear2727 Wrote: We should all hope that it is Carmen.  If so, that solidifies our Oline. Also, Carmen is the only player on this list with the opportunity to actually start at a position on Day 1 of this upcoming season.

I really get the vibe from Coach Pollack that D'Ante Smith is gonna get a shot at LG.  I think Coach Pollack likes DS a lot.  That being said it's certainly Carmans job to lose.  

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 06:50 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I actually picked McPherson earlier this year in another thread. This team had a lot of three and outs last year and I'm expecting them to have less of those with the improved line. I see them moving up and down the field, Joe Mixon may even win league MVP if he can stay healthy. McPherson should capitalize on that.

Do you mean Chris Evans?

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 07:22 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I really get the vibe from Coach Pollack that D'Ante Smith is gonna get a shot at LG.  I think Coach Pollack likes DS a lot.  That being said it's certainly Carmans job to lose.  

Other than Mike Santagata and James Rapien spit-balling, I'm not sure where the Smith at LG talk is coming from?  Pollack and Callahan both stated that Smith will be focused on Tackle.  

If Smith is our LG then we failed with Carmen, who knows how long of a project Volson would be, and we are left with only Prince as a backup tackle.

We are a much stronger team if Carmen can secure that LG spot convincingly. 

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 07:30 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Other than Mike Santagata and James Rapien spit-balling, I'm not sure where the Smith at LG talk is coming from?  Pollack and Callahan both stated that Smith will be focused on Tackle.  

If Smith is our LG then we failed with Carmen, who knows how long of a project Volson would be, and we are left with only Prince as a backup tackle.

We are a much stronger team if Carmen can secure that LG spot convincingly. 

https://youtu.be/cDDdqkh8HsA?t=255

In this interview from March Pollack says he views Smith as a Tackle/Guard.  I timestamped it to the Smith question but the whole interview is good I really like Coach Pollack. (The question is at 4:15 if the timestamp is screwy)

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 07:39 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: https://youtu.be/cDDdqkh8HsA?t=255

In this interview from March Pollack says he views Smith as a Tackle/Guard.  I timestamped it to the Smith question but the whole interview is good I really like Coach Pollack. (The question is at 4:15 if the timestamp is screwy)

Actually he said he CAN do both and would not reveal exactly what his plans were.  Pollack speaks nonstop of position versatility, especially for backups.  But he has also said more recently Smith will be focused more on tackle and Callahan was very clear that Smith would work on tackle only this off/pre-season.

Like I said though, we are a much better & deeper team if Carmen can excel at LG.  They may be thinking Smith is Jonah's replacement in the future?

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 06:50 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I actually picked McPherson earlier this year in another thread. This team had a lot of three and outs last year and I'm expecting them to have less of those with the improved line. I see them moving up and down the field, Joe Mixon may even win league MVP if he can stay healthy. McPherson should capitalize on that.

Mixon probably has less than a 1% chance of winning MVP. Given the offense that Cincinnati runs and the value of RBs, Mixon won't even be considered for MVP. If anyone wins MVP on the Bengals, it will be Joe Burrow. 

As to the OP, I am hoping it is Chris Evans. I really like his receiving ability and would love to see him in the rotation more. 
Reply/Quote
Thinking Ossai, but hope the most for Carman.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 08:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Mixon probably has less than a 1% chance of winning MVP. Given the offense that Cincinnati runs and the value of RBs, Mixon won't even be considered for MVP. If anyone wins MVP on the Bengals, it will be Joe Burrow. 

As to the OP, I am hoping it is Chris Evans. I really like his receiving ability and would love to see him in the rotation more. 

(05-20-2022, 08:22 AM)Destro Wrote: Thinking Ossai, but hope the most for Carman.

I agree on the Mixon MVP take, but like Destro, I need help understanding how any Bengals fan can HOPE that a 3rd string RB or backup edge rusher has the best breakout year this season than the guy filling the one big hole we have on our oline after watching this past season?

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 08:30 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I agree on the Mixon MVP take, but like Destro, I need help understanding how any Bengals fan can HOPE that a 3rd string RB or backup edge rusher has the best breakout year this season than the guy filling the one big hole we have on our oline after watching this past season?

The question wasn't framed as who we hoped but who is most poised. I guess the answer is still Carman or Smith, as they are likely to get the most play time. I just think that Evans is going to see more play time this season and make an impact in the receiving game. 
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 08:55 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: The question wasn't framed as who we hoped but who is most poised. I guess the answer is still Carman or Smith, as they are likely to get the most play time. I just think that Evans is going to see more play time this season and make an impact in the receiving game. 

I understand the question and I totally agree with you on Evans. But you said:

"As to the OP, I am hoping it is Chris Evans."

I think others have their favs as well, just pointing out that we really really need that LG spot solidified.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 09:06 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I understand the question and I totally agree with you on Evans. But you said:

"As to the OP, I am hoping it is Chris Evans."

I think others have their favs as well, just pointing out that we really really need that LG spot solidified.

Ahhh, I didn't even realize I threw in hoping. I was just typing away. Yes, I would hope it be on the LG guys. 
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 08:16 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Mixon probably has less than a 1% chance of winning MVP. Given the offense that Cincinnati runs and the value of RBs, Mixon won't even be considered for MVP. If anyone wins MVP on the Bengals, it will be Joe Burrow. 

Ha ha. Mixon is going to have a huge year. If Evans is going to take Perines playing time he’s got to be a tougher runner and be able to block and pick up blitzes. Frankly the best recipe is to have Evans spell Mixon more and Mixon take Perine’s snaps. They are very watchful of Mixon’s load. Mixon keep his number of snaps mind you.

But I think Ossai is the answer to OP’s ask
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 02:10 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Obviously Ja'Marr and McPherson already broke out but of the remaining 2021 draft picks which player is most poised for a break-out season?

after his rookie year i want to know what a break out year for chase will be lol
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 09:20 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Ha ha. Mixon is going to have a huge year. If Evans is going to take Perines playing time he’s got to be a tougher runner and be able to block and pick up blitzes. Frankly the best recipe is to have Evans spell Mixon more and Mixon take Perine’s snaps. They are very watchful of Mixon’s load. Mixon keep his number of snaps mind you.

But I think Ossai is the answer to OP’s ask

Oh, I think Mixon will have a huge year. I'm not disputing that, as long as he stays healthy like Vinyl mentioned. He just won't win MVP, that's ridiculous. If this was 1997, maybe. However, it's 2022 and RBs need a perfect storm in order to win MVP. Both Jonathon Taylor (2,171 yards, 20 TDs on 5.8 yards per touch) and Derrick Henry (2,141 yards, 17 TDs on 5.4 yards per touch) have had "huge" seasons recently and both guys received precisely zero consideration for MVP. I genuinely think Mixon would need to break the single season record for scrimmage yards (2,509 yards) and have 20+ TDs paired with a bad year for QBs. That just isn't going to happen. Burrow will win MVP before Mixon gets a single vote. 
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 02:10 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Obviously Ja'Marr and McPherson already broke out but of the remaining 2021 draft picks which player is most poised for a break-out season?

Ossai would seem like an easy choice, but we don't know how often he'll see the field.
Will the Bengals swing Hubbard inside and have Ossai come in at the edge on passing downs?
Or will the Bengals keep Hubbard outside and have Carter inside next to Hill on passing downs?
Or will they do something crazy like a 5-man rush with all of Hendrickson, Hubbard, Hill, Carter, and Ossai?

So I'm going with the guy who's most likely to see the most snaps - Jackson Carman.
While he was a disappointment at RG, he did better in his limited snaps at LG (~100 snaps).
If he plays at the level he was playing at LG (or better), he'll be a solid (if not above average) starter this year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote