Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which 2021 draftee is most poised for a 2nd year breakout?
(05-20-2022, 07:30 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Other than Mike Santagata and James Rapien spit-balling, I'm not sure where the Smith at LG talk is coming from?  Pollack and Callahan both stated that Smith will be focused on Tackle.  

If Smith is our LG then we failed with Carmen, who knows how long of a project Volson would be, and we are left with only Prince as a backup tackle.

We are a much stronger team if Carmen can secure that LG spot convincingly. 

I wouldn't be too horribly upset and spend my nights sobbing into my pillow if Volson came right in and nailed down the LG position as an everyday starter. i have nothing against any of them and don't wish anything bad on any of them, but Volson just seems to have some of the X stuck to him.. 
Heck, even if Adeniji cleaned up his act and blew everyone away this season I wouldn't spend all day crying.. I'm not betting on Adeniji, but if he clicks then good for him. End of last season he was kind of between a rock and a hard place with whatsisface-I at center and whatsisface-II at RT.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 08:13 PM)grampahol Wrote: I wouldn't be too horribly upset and spend my nights sobbing into my pillow if Volson came right in and nailed down the LG position as an everyday starter. i have nothing against any of them and don't wish anything bad on any of them, but Volson just seems to have some of the X stuck to him.. 
Heck, even if Adeniji cleaned up his act and blew everyone away this season I wouldn't spend all day crying.. I'm not betting on Adeniji, but if he clicks then good for him. End of last season he was kind of between a rock and a hard place with whatsisface-I at center and whatsisface-II at RT.. 

I dont disagree, but Carmen taking control of that LG spot reinforces the idea that we have improved our scouting and development.  It also provides time for Volson to develop without forcing him into a situation which is a huge leap from his small school experience directly into the NFL.  Keep in mind Volson was blocking many guys that were as light as 225-230 pounds.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 02:10 AM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Obviously Ja'Marr and McPherson already broke out but of the remaining 2021 draft picks which player is most poised for a break-out season?

- Round 2 (46) LG Jackson Carman

- Round 3 (69) DE Joseph Ossai

-Round 4 (111) DL Cam Sample

-Round 4 (122) DT Tyler Shelvin

-Round 4 (139) OT/OG D'Ante Smith

-Round 6 (190) C Trey Hill

-Round 6 (202) RB Chris Evans

-Round 7 (235) DE Wyatt Hubert

I'd love for it to be Hill and then Carman, but I think it will be Ossai. Hubert would also be nice.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Osai or Evans... Get Perine outta here..
Reply/Quote
I think it will be D'Ante Smith. I don't have any reasoning other than a gut feeling because of the offseason hype I've heard. I'm not putting too much hope into anyone in this draft class having a "breakout" year though
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 07:06 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think it will be D'Ante Smith. I don't have any reasoning other than a gut feeling because of the offseason hype I've heard. I'm not putting too much hope into anyone in this draft class having a "breakout" year though

In the NFL there are plenty of examples of players emerging after their first year. This thread highlights all the likely ones. Ossai, Carman, and Evans are dominating the discussion. They’d be my picks. But who’s the dark horse? I’d say Sample and Shelvin with one emerging would be sweet. The defense ( with Bates playing) can be much improved. The draft additions lend us so much more depth and lends us some opportunities for some diversified pass defense coverages. But with Ossai returning and Sample or more so Shelvin emerging the defense could be stellar. Personally I think Vegas and some of the experts underrate our defense. The offense with the poor OL was amazing last year considering….Now? We have to be one of the top 5-7 offenses. If the defense is a top 10 defense this team reaches GB,Tampa,Bills,and KC level. Meaning recognized at their level. We aren’t now. We are considered lucky or got hot as a team last year.
Reply/Quote
Cameron Sample with a year under his belt and more chances to rush from the inside could break out in year 2.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 11:22 AM)Synric Wrote: Cameron Sample with a year under his belt and more chances to rush from the inside could break out in year 2.

Yeah, a big factor is opportunity.  Ossai may be a good situational rusher but doesn't play the run like Sample.  For all we know Carter may not be rotation ready as a rookie.  Even without injuries to someone ahead of him, Sample has a clear path at PT, especially if they want to keep Hill fresh.  
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 06:02 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: 100% agree Ossai should have the most noticeable impact for casual fans.  I hope Carman becomes a solid starter for us but I really don't see him having a 'breakout' season.  

Also, I'm the OP so I guess I broke my own thread's rules   Hilarious

Yeah, whats up with that man? lol
Reply/Quote
Most people don't realize that Cam Sample played about a third of our defensive snaps last year (310). And he was fairly productive (14 tackles, 11 pressures, 1.5 sacks)
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 03:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Most people don't realize that Cam Sample played about a third of our defensive snaps last year (310).  And he was fairly productive (14 tackles, 11 pressures, 1.5 sacks)

That is a good pressure number. Very underrated stat, pressures.

What I like about Cam is he can stop the run and get pressures, he could very well be in play at 3-tech too with Carter.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 03:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is a good pressure number. Very underrated stat, pressures.

What I like about Cam is he can stop the run and get pressures, he could very well be in play at 3-tech too with Carter.

And it's going to be important for us, probably more important than sacks, because of how bad our secondary was last season.

I hope that Hill and CTB can help to improve it, but consistent pressure will be very important, especially for the young DBs.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2022, 09:31 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: after his rookie year i want to know what a break out year for chase will be lol

The crazy thing is he set new rookie record but it still feels like we have barely scratched the surface on a kid who has only just turned 22. I watched the chiefs game last night and he was incredible. I think they may use him out of backfield on 3rd and short. And I think with a good OL he will be able to complete his routes if burrow has more time to throw. Think he will go for 1750 receiving yards this year.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to have the breakout season to become the first ever 63 year old player with a bad heart, terrible legs, underweight and with a bad attitude towards buying official NFL licensed merchandise! You can expect me to take over for both the LG position and QB position all at the same time.. 
That's right folks..I'll slowly walk from the LG spot to behind center, take the snap and throw the ball directly into the back on the center before getting pounded into the ground...with a smile!  ThumbsUp
Ehhh..maybe not.. There is a distinct possibility I may just sit on the couch during games at home.. Stay tuned!  Who Dey
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Imma go with a 2nd year UDFA.

Scotty Washington came in last year as a Big WR (6'5" 217). They asked him to transition to TE. He came in this year at 247. He could definitely replace Wilcox as TE#3 and depending on his blocking could push Sample for TE#2
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-22-2022, 04:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Imma go with a 2nd year UDFA.

Scotty Washington came in last year as a Big WR (6'5" 217). They asked him to transition to TE. He came in this year at 247. He could definitely replace Wilcox as TE#3 and depending on his blocking could push Sample for TE#2

I remember this guy.  He was not slow.  In fact he was kind of a deep threat in college.

Does "2nd year" mean he has already been here 2 years or will this be his 2nd year in 2022?
Reply/Quote

That is quite interesting.  A TE with a WR skillset could definitely feast in our offense with Burrow at the helm and a solid rushing attack.  Play action with a LB covering him sounds like one hell of a mismatch.

Cigar
Reply/Quote

Yea he has the receiving chops when it comes to being a TE.
If Bengals can coach him to block well enough, he could sneak on as TE3 and possibly be a darkhorse.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2022, 04:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: And it's going to be important for us, probably more important than sacks, because of how bad our secondary was last season.

I hope that Hill and CTB can help to improve it, but consistent pressure will be very important, especially for the young DBs.

Dax, CTB and even Tycen Anderson are ballhawks. Pressures can force INT's.

Nice thought. Forgot all about Scotty Washington.  Mellow
Reply/Quote