Poll: Who makes the biggest impact in 2021?
Trey Hendrickson
Trae Waynes
Mike Hilton
Chidobe Awuzie
Riley Reiff
Larry Ogunjobi
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Free Agent will make the biggest impact?
I went with Reiff. Gives the Bengals a RT with a resume
That defines playing at a high level and very few mental gaffes
Plus it allowed the drafting of Chase and making it easier to
Pass on a Sewell.
Reiff plus Chase equals more productive offense in terms
Of points which will help the defense facing other
Offenses playing catchup
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 12:11 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The last season he played was pretty bad. He gave up over 700 yards on 74% completion and five TDs in 14 games. Quarterbacks had a rating of 108 when targeting him. The sample size was 96 targets.

He doesn’t have a strong reputation as a cover corner and his last season backs that up. Hopefully that season was an outlier.

You're right thats pretty bad for sure, in fact down right ugly stats. Hopefully it was the outlier especially for the 42 million bengals are paying him. 

Really only followed Zimmer and Vikings for first few years. Once Bridgewater got hurt I lost interest within a couple years even though still liked and respected Zimmer and wanted him to succeed.

Just got hard to follow them and attend games at PBS. Plus like I mentioned Teddy got hurt and another Louisville product emerged in Lamar Jackson for me to follow besides the Bengals. 

Just freakin hate that he is a Raven. Just tough wanting him to do good but the Ravens to lose, I could actually root for Vikings when not playing Bengals, but can never pull for Ravens unless in playoffs against the steelers. Also in Louisville they aired the Vikings then but of course have switched to a Ravens town now. 

Thanks for info though.  

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Reiff, most likely. At the very least, whoever isn't signed that's going to replace jonah.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 03:32 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I feel like you mean 3rd. WJ3 was #2 when Kirkpatrick was here and played well. Darius Phillips has been a good #2 despite the hate around here from some. Once you get to 3rd cb it’s been scrubs off the street and guys that should be on practice squads.

No, sir. I definitely meant CB2.

- Adam Jones & WJ3 were primarily the CB1s over the 7 years or so. Dre Kirk was CB1 for a season (WJ3 rookie year) or two (spot duty) at most. He was an extreme liability his time in Cincinnati, IMO, ranking horrifically low in CB production and PFF ratings. Literally a bottom 20 season in the entire league several times. In old threads I used to link the data showing him being hot garbage all the time.

Watching Dre K get picked on time and time again was tough to take as a fan. The Steelers threw at him, what, 9 straight times in a MNF game to come back and score to beat the Bengals at home. I was there. It happened right in front of me and it was appalling. They either got a big gain or a penalty (holding & PI). It was pitiful.

- Philips is tough to figure out. He has shown a great ability to make plays on the ball - and then sometimes he is just lost on a big play. I think he has a ton of potential and was excited when the Bengals drafted him. His ability to stay healthy is what's been his weakness. On the field, really like it when he plays.

Last year, with all of the injuries at CB, the CB2 was a revolving door of trash. Total liability. I'm eager to see how a combination of 2 avg to above avg CBs hold up over a season. I feel like the Bengals were trotting out this kind of CB tandem over the years...

Previously
BEST CASE SCENARIO
CB1: Rates a 4 out of 5
CB2: Rates a 2 out of 5
CB3: Rates a 3 out of 5

WORST CASE SCENARIO
CB1: 3/5
CB2: 3/5
CB3: 3/5

^ I think the 3 predicted starters at CB have a higher ceiling than what the Bengals had been getting in previous years. At worst, though, I think they are all around better across the field. And, they tackle much much better with Hilton being an outstanding weapon in blitz packages.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 12:12 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The gap between Reiff and Hart is what made him my selection. I  would like to second AWUZIE/WAYNES as the defensive addition to make the biggest impact. 2nd cb has been a horror show for the Bengals for YEARS, IMO, and a massive liability.

I agree Reiff is a better tackle but at his age that has narrowed.  For example last year from what I could find.. Reiff was ranking 37th and Hart was ranking 40th, so he is coming to us at a different stage in his career if we got him in his 20s, it would have been a major upgrade.  I picked Hendrickson since he is in him prime, coming off an outstanding 2020 season plus gives us something Lawson lacked, run stopping DE also. 
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 11:05 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree Reiff is a better tackle but at his age that has narrowed.  For example last year from what I could find.. Reiff was ranking 37th and Hart was ranking 40th, so he is coming to us at a different stage in his career if we got him in his 20s, it would have been a major upgrade.  I picked Hendrickson since he is in him prime, coming off an outstanding 2020 season plus gives us something Lawson lacked, run stopping DE also. 

I think where Reiff stands out well is in the pass blocking? I thought I had seen a stat where he had an excellent rating in a category like that where Hart had a massive deficiency? I could be misremembering that. Also, Harts bad plays were BAAAAAAD  levels of bad. Time will tell on Reiff and him being a major upgrade.

Looking at basic PFF charts on each player: Hart had 3 penalties & 4 sacks last year (I had seen a stat previously where Hart gave up a ton of pressures - but, if I recall, Mike Jordan was the worst linemen in football for sacks and pressures given up). Reiff had 1 sack & 1 penalty... and played 130 more snaps than Hart.

I agree that Hendrickson was a great signing. I was really really excited about him after the interview Kat Terrell, who covers the Saints, did on Hear That Podcast Growlin where she said he didn't get a fair shake in NO even though he looked great in practice as a rookie due to the Saints being more vested in other players and them wanting to give those guys every opportunity to shine. And once the Saints realized what they had, it was too late due to their salary cap hell.
Reply/Quote
I went with the apparent majority and said Reiff. I think his overall veteran presence will help a great deal. Hendrickson is a close second for me. Hearing his sacks called "hustle sacks" makes me snicker. So, they don't count? That is what I want. A Hubbard-like relentless pressure guy on the opposite side of Hubbard that is big and strong enough to set the edge on the outside.

Ogunjobi is kind of a dark horse for me. Back at his original position, I think he shines next to Reader and Hendrickson. It will be tough to fill the shoes of Geno, but the Geno we had the past couple years wasn't quite up to task.
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 11:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I went with the apparent majority and said Reiff.  I think his overall veteran presence will help a great deal.  Hendrickson is a close second for me.  Hearing his sacks called "hustle sacks" makes me snicker.  So, they don't count?  That is what I want.  A Hubbard-like relentless pressure guy on the opposite side of Hubbard that is big and strong enough to set the edge on the outside.  

Ogunjobi is kind of a dark horse for me.  Back at his original position, I think he shines next to Reader and Hendrickson.  It will be tough to fill the shoes of Geno, but the Geno we had the past couple years wasn't quite up to task.

I completely agree with your take on the "hustle sacks".  I'd much rather have a guy that's busting his hump every down, rather than a guy that dog's it, unless he thinks he's got a shot at a big play.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2021, 01:13 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I completely agree with your take on the "hustle sacks".  I'd much rather have a guy that's busting his hump every down, rather than a guy that dog's it, unless he thinks he's got a shot at a big play.

Combining him (Hendrickson) with a healthy Hubbard, who everyone seems to have forgotten how he played before last year's injury, could be a real find for the Bengals.

I scounted Hendrickson and wanted him coming out of Florida Atlantic.  Sure, he may have been overpaid a bit after losing Lawson, but I like the fit a great deal.  If Ossai can offer some change of pace and relentless speed on the edge, I like the idea of having Hubbard inside with Hendrickson and Ossai on the outsides.  

Pass rush is something this team has needed for a while.  WIth these pieces healthy, it could go a long way to protecting the LB corps.  
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2021, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This poll is to piggyback off of the fan survey thread.  One of the questions in the Fan Survey was "Which Bengals Free Agent addition will have the biggest impact?".

So, who ya got?  And why that guy?

Good one, made me think for a minute there Sunset. I went with Reiff, getting him allowed us to Draft Chase.

Think both Hendrickson and Ogunjobi will be major upgrades for us as well but went with Reiff.
Reply/Quote
I don't think many people realize how bad Green really played last year. Over the last 10 years there have been 345 times when a WR has been targeted 100 times in a season. Green had 104 last year. Of those 345 Green's 5.0 yards per target last year ranked 344th. (Tavon Austin 4.8 in 2016). His 45.2 catch percentage ranked 343rd. (Denarius Moore 44.7 in '12, Torrey Smith 44.5 in '12). He was not just "bad" he was "historically bad".

So at first I was going to say Chase, but the fact that we already have two top WRs in Boyd and Higgins meant that WR was never going to be the weakest position on the team. Our lines on both sides of the ball were by far our weakest positions, So I am saying a tie between Reiff and Ogunjobi. Bobby Hart was not the weakest link on the O-line, but he gave up a shitload of pressures. And our DTs were invisible.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2021, 07:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This poll is to piggyback off of the fan survey thread.  One of the questions in the Fan Survey was "Which Bengals Free Agent addition will have the biggest impact?".

So, who ya got?  And why that guy?

I picked Riley Reiff and crossed my fingers that he pans out.

Waynes was a free agent signed last season and he had zero impact other than eating cap space.

Reply/Quote
For whatever reason, it takes a year for players to get traction with our team. So even though he spent his first year injured, I'm going to say Trae Waynes. Everyone else listed is in their first year.

Reply/Quote
I went with Reiff, as I think he'll be the biggest WAR compared to the guy who manned his position last year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think the biggest thing is that if they can stay healthy, this is one of the better FA signing classes in many many years, and all can have significant impact this season.
Reply/Quote