Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Which NFL franchises never to have won Super Bowl are closest to title breakthrough?
Interesting article and thought it would provide good discussion.

Bengals come in at 12 out of 13, just behind the Bills.

Quote:12. Cincinnati Bengals (0-2): After five consecutive one-and-done playoff appearances between 2011 and 2015, they've regressed, losing nine games each of the past two seasons. Yet coach Marvin Lewis remains, incredibly, despite an 0-7 postseason record and a team that regularly lets its lack of discipline trump fairly significant talent. Not much to indicate a sea change is forthcoming, though the players do deserve credit for a strong finish to 2017, when it seemed like Lewis was certainly on the chopping block.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
That's fair. The Marvin Lewis handicap is something that cannot be ignored... Otherwise, we could/should be higher on that list.
Reply/Quote
It's mere opinion. It's kind of tough to predict the future about things that have never happened before. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 01:45 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: That's fair. The Marvin Lewis handicap is something that cannot be ignored... Otherwise, we could/should be higher on that list.

They ranked the Browns ahead of us, tho.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
The Eagles!!
Reply/Quote
I'd place us dead last, honestly. I don't know much about the owners of the other teams on that list, but I'd wager ours is the only one who openly states that his goal is to get back to being "where we were a few years ago" aka one-and-done in the playoffs. The goal is to get back to being 12th place? Indeed.
Reply/Quote
I'd swap 5 and 6, and 7 and 8.  Then, I'd move Buffalo ahead of Cleveland, and us last.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 02:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'd place us dead last, honestly.  I don't know much about the owners of the other teams on that list, but I'd wager ours is the only one who openly states that his goal is to get back to being "where we were a few years ago" aka one-and-done in the playoffs.  The goal is to get back to being 12th place?  Indeed.

(02-01-2018, 02:44 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'd swap 5 and 6, and 7 and 8.  Then, I'd move Buffalo ahead of Cleveland, and us last.

I have a hard time putting Cleveland ahead of us, even with the unheard of post-season crap-fest....guess question is would it be easier to luck into a franchise QB (Browns) or SB (Bengals/Browns)?
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 01:53 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They ranked the Browns ahead of us, tho.  Mellow

As long as Mike Brown keeps Marvin Lewis on staff (i.e. For the rest of Mike Brown's life, at the very least), the Browns have a better chance of winning a super bowl  Mellow

Yeah I said. And I'm only exaggerating a little bit
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 03:01 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I have a hard time putting Cleveland ahead of us, even with the unheard of post-season crap-fest....guess question is would it be easier to luck into a franchise QB (Browns) or SB (Bengals/Browns)?

As long as it's the Mike and Merv show......I'm leaning Browns.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 03:56 PM)Wyche Wrote: As long as it's the Mike and Merv show......I'm leaning Browns.

Agree

As long as Mikey is running the show we have no chance ! I'd put us last and I'm not kidding.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 03:06 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: As long as Mike Brown keeps Marvin Lewis on staff (i.e. For the rest of Mike Brown's life, at the very least), the Browns have a better chance of winning a super bowl  Mellow

Yeah I said. And I'm only exaggerating a little bit
I don't know what you all are smoking...

but the browns cant even win a game

its nice to bash the team and all... but be somewhat realistic about it.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 01:53 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They ranked the Browns ahead of us, tho.  Mellow

Thats shocking. Hugh is worse than Marv.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 04:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't know what you all are smoking...

but the browns cant even win a game

its nice to bash the team and all... but be somewhat realistic about it.

Thing about the Browns is they were in a lot of games last year. They have a good line, plus weapons at WR, TE, and RB. Their front 4 is good, and they have talent on the back end. The Browns have a ton of cap space, and also have a boatload of picks, including #1 and #4 this year. The bottom line is they can turn it around quickly. It sounds crazy to say it, but I see the Browns as a legitimate Wild Card team in 2019.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 05:00 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Thing about the Browns is they were in a lot of games last year.  They have a good line, plus weapons at WR, TE, and RB.  Their front 4 is good, and they have talent on the back end.  The Browns have a ton of cap space, and also have a boatload of picks, including #1 and #4 this year.  The bottom line is they can turn it around quickly.  It sounds crazy to say it, but I see the Browns as a legitimate Wild Card team in 2019.

and the browns will end up overpaying some bums just to met the floor... 

Dude it will be a pleasant surprise if the browns win 9 games between now and 2020.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 05:02 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: and the browns will end up overpaying some bums just to met the floor... 

Dude it will be a pleasant surprise if the browns win 9 games between now and 2020.

If they hit a homerun at QB in the draft, or get a good one in FA, look out.  They've got the cap space to make some moves, with Dorsey at GM, the next few years (what they set up for when they dumped everyone) could get interesting.

Meanwhile, we've got the 0-fer clan running things here.  Had there been actual change in Cincinnati this offseason, my outlook wouldn't be so grim.

Reply/Quote
Just want to point out that the Browns have won a playoff game more recently than we have (94 vs 90)
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 06:04 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Just want to point out that the Browns have won a playoff game more recently than we have (94 vs 90)

That franchise now is the ravens though.

do the new browns get all their accolades because the name stayed the same? or do they stay with the franchise?

I'm not trying to argue against the browns on that playoff win just curious how that works.... For instance the rams franchised moved to LA if they changed their name and a new rams formed in St Louis... Would the new ST Louis rams still have a super bowl title in their trophy case or did that go to LA?
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 02:12 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: The Eagles!!

Yep, pretty much.

You got to be in the game, in order to even have a shot at winning it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 01:15 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Interesting article and thought it would provide good discussion.

Bengals come in at 12 out of 13, just behind the Bills.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha - we're behind the f'n Browns. OMG, what an embarrassment that is.  LMAO

People can say Marvin Lewis all they want, but it's Mike Brown's presence in the front office that saps everyone's confidence in this franchise.

Reply/Quote